Author Topic: Halifax battle royale  (Read 2181 times)

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
Halifax battle royale
« on: May 18, 2018, 06:34:58 AM »
So with old crocs coming up to join Heath, Old Brods and Old Rish, this really will be the season to settle who is the king of rugby in Halifax.

However it poses a long term question. Does the even distribution of talent around the clubs of the town mean that we are unlikely to see a team from Halifax in the higher leagues any time soon. Or is it just a matter of time before one of the four pull ahead and start to suck the talent in their direction.

It also begs the question is it better to have four even clubs or a spread up and down the league structure? Arguments for both...if all the teams stay at the same level it could mean the better talent leaves Halifax to pursue higher league opportunities. On the other hand what an amazing division for any Halifax based rugby fans. The four clubs could work together to seriously market rugby union in the area.

Finally ultimately will money play a part? Maybe not. I know absolutely nothing about the finances of any of the clubs but I would think that Old Brods and Heath are probably better off then Old Rish and Crocs. I'm just basing that on facilities.

So the battle for the kings of Halifax rugby commences shortly. It will be intriguing to watch from afar.

And my money is on..... (I've written it down)
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline Memory_Man

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax battle royale
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 12:15:35 PM »
If I was pushed for a order it would be...

Heath
Rish
Crocs
Brods

Can't see any going up (Heath have the best chance) but one or more maybe involved at the wrong end of the table.

Offline vanlock

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »
Crocs were certainly throwing the cash around last season, I hear their coach took a nice 4 figure bonus with him back to Spain after getting them promoted.

Offline Former No3

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:02:47 PM »
Crocs were certainly throwing the cash around last season, I hear their coach took a nice 4 figure bonus with him back to Spain after getting them promoted.

Will the Siddal RLFC  players be back for more

Offline Calder-beast

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
Bonus it was not.
It was for expenses.
Have it on good authority he actually lives in Spain so his “travel expenses” are just that. EXPENSIVE.

Offline magicman

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »
Brb you are on wrong forum. Think yours is the north east one

Offline ye olde 9

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 03:10:08 PM »
2 fax clubs to get promoted next season. Rish and Crocs. Both by different squad building methods. Brods and Heath 6/7th. Vandals mid table y3 and Fax mid table y4.

Offline Ribbflagman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »
You wouldn't want a little wager on that would you Old9
Maybe u could tempt you with odds of say 7/1 on whatever you want.
I am retired with little no income prospects except this cert.
Please let me know how much you want to wager 😉😉

Offline Grump

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 06:05:28 PM »
What’s different about their squad building methods ?

Offline oneoftheoldfarts

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
Guess Rish recruit through their Juniors in the main, and Crocs pay their players.

Offline Calder-beast

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 07:32:41 PM »
Think he means Crocs don’t have a junior set up as such so “buy in” local and overseas talent.

Rish would claim to be all home grown with a very good junior set up. So why is their whole front row bought in.

Brods again excellent junior set up but still buy in from overseas.

Heath have several of their all conquering colts team ,of 4 years back , in first team and have a rapidly developing junior set up, but still buy in from overseas.

As to who will be top Calderdale dog next season I will predict in about April 2019.

I do however believe it will be the club that can keep most of this years squad and build some strength in depth not sure Crocs fall into that catergory.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:32:16 PM by Calder-beast »

Offline Chocolatebody

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »

Will the Siddal RLFC  players be back for more

They have been at the top of amateur league for a few years now, added that with the obvious talent across Y1 you have to wonder why Halifax don’t have a seriously good professional side IMO

Offline ye olde 9

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 11:37:58 PM »
Rib flag I will take that bet. A nice meal and bottle of red. As I live in Skitpon easy to arrange. Rishworthians are well coached and have a good production line and Siddal rflc sorry I mean crocs have the contacts. Ps change of view after recent announcement Halifax will win y4, silver trophy and airewharfe cup next season👍😉

Offline Whoopey

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 12:18:35 PM »
Out if the 4, Old Rish were the toughest we played, and a great set of lads to boot.

Offline Ribbflagman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 07:02:08 PM »
Done deal. If both Rish and Crocs go up whatever you want to eat etc is on my tab.
If not I will gorge on my superior knowledge of calderdale/ Y1 rugby.