$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Interesting question - To me anyway ??

Author Topic: Interesting question - To me anyway ??  (Read 7222 times)

Offline Premier

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Interesting question - To me anyway ??
« on: May 27, 2018, 12:20:27 PM »
Now 55 and started to play senior rugby 30 years ago. Played reasonable standard and ended up playing at a club which now plays in Yorkshire 1.
All played for the love of the game, with mates and no leagues at first -just friendlies.

What does the young players of today actually think about some players being paid and they are not in the same team ??

Any comments or thoughts ??

Offline Stevo

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting question - To me anyway ??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
Personally, I think if young players are bought up in a club which pays first teamers  then the youngsters will expect it if they progress to first team level

Offline Mink

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
payment of players is always a funny topic
from a players point of view i am very much of the view if the club is willing to pay players as a player you are not going to turn it down

from a clubs point of view you have to make choices... can we afford to pay players, are we going to pay everyone the same, would it unsettle players if some players get paid. is paying the right player going to improve the team/club

answers to these questions are down to each club

i have coached at a couple of clubs that don't pay players, as a coach I am more than happy with that... its the clubs choice.

i would say if you are going to pay a player you HAVE to get the right player(s)

Offline Master_Knowledge

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »
It's not a rule but I've generally found the people that are most bothered are those from clubs who don't pay especially if or when they get beat by a club that might.

If your own club pay and as a member you don't agree with it voice your concerns if it's another club then hold your tongue until it comes back to bite them then smugly say I told you so.

It's never going to change so let's talk about rugby, off season ins and outs and next season's favourites rather than wasting more time on player payment.

I'll start Tom Kill to hudds from brods.

Offline Whoopey

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »
It's not a rule but I've generally found the people that are most bothered are those from clubs who don't pay especially if or when they get beat by a club that might.

If your own club pay and as a member you don't agree with it voice your concerns if it's another club then hold your tongue until it comes back to bite them then smugly say I told you so.

It's never going to change so let's talk about rugby, off season ins and outs and next season's favourites rather than wasting more time on player payment.

I'll start Tom Kill to hudds from brods.

Not York?! ????

Offline Master_Knowledge

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:02 PM »
Something to do with him feeling at risk in the showers with show pony or something  ;)

Offline Premier

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:14:52 AM »
Master Knowledge- totally understand that paying players will always happen- no issue there.

But just wanted to know if any existing players had any thoughts on some players being paid and some not ??

Offline baconears

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
I started playing 40 years ago in the SE and it was know that some more elite teams looked after players.

Either by the players not paying,  beer money or in some cases finding them work (normally in a co players company)

95 percent of teams (at approximately this level)  were "casuals" and you drank in there bar because that is how they survived.

Money at this level is just a distraction, I think "rugby, drink, eat, repeat" is the best philosophy

Offline Mink

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 11:58:18 AM »
master knowledge - why don't you start a new post about the ins and outs

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 02:28:34 PM »
Mink

I’m with you there ... if you aren’t interested in talking about it Mk don’t bother .

I think it’s an interesting question . How do the unpaid players feel ...under valued, badly treated, Hacked off ... It must feel odd to be unpaid when you know others are . Does it affect how you approach and play the game eg I’ll let him take that high ball “he’s paid” etc etc .

Offline Mink

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 04:13:57 PM »
alf i am not sure a unpaid player would feel like that...specially if the player(s) who are getting paid are the right people on and off the pitch.

will it spurr that unpaid player on to become one of the 'paid players'

Offline Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
You would know all about that at Brods.  Interesting to see that Huddersfield have outbid your remuneration for Tom Kill. You should be able to get a couple of paid players for what he was rumoured to be on.
Should be a morale booster to the Brods lads who do it for nothing.

Offline Rob13

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 04:39:01 PM »
When I played at Castleford at 17 they paid a couple of semi pro RL players that most of the squad seemed to accept looking back it was folly they weren't that interested in the club as they usually took off after a game without so much as having a drink. Not that they did much good they were relegated from Y2 right down to 4 with a ridiculous turn over of players. They enjoyed success from that point bringing back CW who brought players in mainly Johnno who had a real impact.Whether or not people were paid remains up for debate.

Personally think if you are paying folk you should be looking at promotions otherwise whats the point at this level (Yorks Leagues)?Seems as soon as you get out of the Yorks leagues most sides begin paying.

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 06:01:49 PM »
Mink

Yes I know what you’re saying I was just using an example is all . I don’t know how the unpaid players feel playing alongside someone who is . Assuming human nature I reckon that there will be some kind of Freudian dynamic going on . Agree with Rob 13 as well paying players unless you have a target of promotion seems silly . I agree with quite a few on here it is up to the clubs what if and how they pay or not . From what I’ve seen some of the paid players at various clubs are not any better than some I know aren’t . A paid player surely must be more motivated to train and perform than someone who isn’t who is operating on personal pride. Or does personal pride and club ethos top trump mercenary mind set . I’d take the brass were I still playing defo .

Offline WoodheadBoy

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 07:25:10 PM »
You would know all about that at Brods.  Interesting to see that Huddersfield have outbid your remuneration for Tom Kill. You should be able to get a couple of paid players for what he was rumoured to be on.
Should be a morale booster to the Brods lads who do it for nothing.

Waaahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa