$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Interesting question - To me anyway ??

Author Topic: Interesting question - To me anyway ??  (Read 8916 times)

Offline porkies

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting question - To me anyway ??
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »
I played for 25 years at Pock mainly and never received a penny although I did get a free bottle of beer once.
That said , I was lancashire and I’d have to assume that a lot of fellow posters who used to play in the 80’s and 90’s were of a similar standard.
My point is that in this day and age clubs do bring marquee or experienced players in who may require some remuneration; if you can accept that you are a first team squad member at best or a young man just starting out then why would you expect to be paid other than meeting student’s travelling expenses ?
Resentment will only surface if the paid player doesn’t deliver the goods on and off the field imho.

Offline intense1

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 08:18:44 PM »
Think at this level there are many clubs that pay players...one way or another whether its 'expenses'/stash/cash/gym/flights/house/job/all of the above. I think if a club does any of that as mentioned its a question of what they bring to the club. Is it 26 games a season of quality? Is it being at every training session showing the rest of the squad the mentality of that 'higher level', is it working with the colts to help bring them on and prepare for senior rugby?

Every club player reaction to someone getting paid will always be different however, if that player does some or all of the above its difficult to have a problem with it unless you are doing that yourself.

Offline Mink

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
Flagman... I can 100% tell you that Tom Kill was not paid and didn't receive 1p from Brods
I am not sure why you think he was... for the last 4 years no player has been paid. i don't know before that as I wasn't as the club.... but I would be sure that they never did.

Offline Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »
Is it April 1st.
I believe you but others who have posted on here in the past obviously don't. Wasn't there mention of Tom living in a subsidised house or something??

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 05:48:40 PM »
IntensitI

I like that . Sort of sums it up nicely .. old school sort of .

Mink ... nobody would  admit on here to paying ( unless of course it’s all there on both sides of the accounts). Mr and Mrs Hrmc could come sniffing .  I’ve had contact with Brods and indeed Hipperholme GS for a very long time ( I remember well a certain Mr Shippin prop in the Yorks U15 school boys who was outstanding at that age back in the 70s) every time we came to Brods free ale was de rigeur . Every club I’ve been to this season supplies ‘ free ale’ post match for the players . Clubs down to y 3 are definitely paying as well. Who cares. Nobody believes that a player hasn’t had  ‘ a penny’ from his club though . Most of them have swan lips in aspic washed down with Krug after a game free gratis . They all have a free physio or masseur on tap ... gad I’ve even seen ladies at some clubs rubbing the boys eggs and egos . Tailored kit a la lions called stash . The list is endless . Clubs have to do this or the players go elsewhere . I would wager there isn’t a single player in Yorkshire 1 Who hasn’t had some ‘benefit ‘ monetary or in kind from his club last season, or Yorks 2 for that matter .

Offline Chocolatebody

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 08:18:53 PM »
Rumour has it intense1 payment is 50 goes on the karoake after every home game.

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »
Rumour has it intense1 payment is 50 goes on the karoake after every home game.

Not a dry eye in the house when he brings his Will Young rendition out!

Offline Mink

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 04:25:13 PM »
are we saying that a free beer here and there paid for by a club member or a bit of free kit supplied by the club paid for by a club sponsor is wrong.... i don't think that is the point of the original question. i think the point of the question was about players receiving cash for playing.

flagman - in terms of the tim kill scenario i love because you have read a post on here that you now know all the details. could you help me out with something, I have a friend that has won the nigerian lottery but is unable to claim the prize, all i need is your bank account details and pin number. i would help them out but HMRC are looking in to my bank account after once receiving a pint from a club i played at in the early 2000s.

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 05:37:14 PM »
are we saying that a free beer here and there paid for by a club member or a bit of free kit supplied by the club paid for by a club sponsor is wrong.... i don't think that is the point of the original question. i think the point of the question was about players receiving cash for playing.

flagman - in terms of the tim kill scenario i love because you have read a post on here that you now know all the details. could you help me out with something, I have a friend that has won the nigerian lottery but is unable to claim the prize, all i need is your bank account details and pin number. i would help them out but HMRC are looking in to my bank account after once receiving a pint from a club i played at in the early 2000s.
Doesn't really matter what anyone on here thinks is monetary gain or benefit in kind. It's HMRC that matters, along with the RFU of course.
If they decide to check, and conclude (because they always try to find something once they start looking) that free kit is linked to playing - which it will be - then guilty as charged.

We can all take the moral high ground and say such 'benefits' are trivial, and they are, but you have to consider it.

I'm guessing you've never been subject to a HMRC investigation. It's a whole world of pain you really don't need.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 05:53:44 PM »
Stella fella

I was just about to post exactly the same message .

If you own a business obviously you are fully aware of this . ( which is exactly why every club denies paying , providing, servicing , lending or providing material benefit of any kind .)

Minky obviously isn’t a business man and clearly the rubber heel revenue rozzers need to get their ‘ R’ s over to hippyhome and sort out the whole sordid carry on .  Even the coach is on free ale .... bunch of tax and travel shy cads ...

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 07:05:19 PM »
All clubs in Y1 pay some players in one way or another.( including Salem Stella) and in my opinion there’s nothing wrong with it and I’m sure we would all agree that the HMRC would serve us all better chasing google and Apple for tax, than a lad getting a bit of beer money.
What interests me is how will the new Rfu rule affect clubs? Will some clubs declare payments to the RFU??

Offline Renegade

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2018, 07:14:21 PM »
I can predict that the new regulations regards player payment will have no effect whatsoever and neither will any club be “done” for it.

Offline intense1

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 07:28:17 PM »
This thread is lapsing into the same as it always does, most clubs denying any kind of benefits given, the same old arguments being made. It'll be homegrown players denoted by an * next...

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 07:34:53 PM »
All clubs in Y1 pay some players in one way or another.( including Salem Stella) and in my opinion there’s nothing wrong with it and I’m sure we would all agree that the HMRC would serve us all better chasing google and Apple for tax, than a lad getting a bit of beer money.
What interests me is how will the new Rfu rule affect clubs? Will some clubs declare payments to the RFU??
New player coaches don't come cheap.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Premier

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 07:43:24 PM »
Original question again ?  We all know it happens( no issues)  but that is not my post

Any players or feelings out there ?

What does the young players of today actually think about some players being paid and they are not in the same team ??