$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Delayed start to the season???

Delayed start to the season???

This is a discussion for the topic Delayed start to the season??? on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Delayed start to the season???  (Read 6298 times)

WL XIII

• A little respect please...
  • "Not even noon shadows pass through Death Valley"
on: July 26, 2018, 05:55:39 PM
With 5 weeks to the start of the season and promises of a red hot August. Are pitches going to be playable come the 1st September?

Is there any scope for a delayed start similar to what cricket do if it’s too wet?
It's not just people with triskaidekaphobia that should fear Outside Centres. Everyone should.

Occasus Leodis sumus creber

avinastella

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 06:45:19 PM
With 5 weeks to the start of the season and promises of a red hot August. Are pitches going to be playable come the 1st September?

Is there any scope for a delayed start similar to what cricket do if it’s too wet?
It's a cunning plan by the RFU.
We all have to form an orderly queue to playing on plastic at Keighley.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

ye olde 9

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 10:39:25 PM
We really are a snowflake society. Water breaks on 20 mins, bleeding knees and elbows, they will.scab over and come off the week after. If ground a little firm for some, darts or snooker is the way to go.

avinastella

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 11:53:08 PM
We really are a snowflake society. Water breaks on 20 mins, bleeding knees and elbows, they will.scab over and come off the week after. If ground a little firm for some, darts or snooker is the way to go.
You say that but you have to wonder if the hot weather played a part in the sad incident at Birkenshaw the other day.

TheChainsaw

• Finding my feet
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 01:01:14 AM
You say that but you have to wonder if the hot weather played a part in the sad incident at Birkenshaw the other day.

The weather had nothing to do it. It was unfortunately down to a small tear in his heart. Something that would have been picked up by a screening. It has prompted Cleckheaton to hold a screening day in conjunction with the Danny Jones trust. The are places available to other clubs as well

Lee_D

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 08:24:02 AM
Pitch conditions were raised at training last night, with pre-season games highlighted as a Risk for players welfare, as we were discussing this the heavens opened up and it rained for around 10 mins. Obviously i took that as divine intervention and started full contact on the spot (Only Kidding) But it is something that will need to be looked at in more granularity as in the middle of winter these pitches would be far to hard to play on! Rugby League carries on as normal? is this really something that we should or shouldn't be worrying about?

oldun

• Forum old hand
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 11:22:11 AM
I agree with many of these comments!  CERTAINLY the RFU SHOULD be making contingency plans for a delayed start.

The forecast after this weekend's rain ( which is so heavy it will simply "run off" rather than soak in ) is for another prolonged dry hot/very hot spell lasting right to the end of August at least.

Unlike Rugby League who are paid pro's with all the back up facilities to aid recovery, at this level we are mostly amateur, most players have to go to work on Monday's or Sunday's, and MOST clubs simply cannot afford the pro medical / recovery equipment at RL or Pro RU clubs.

The duty of care MUST reflect this, and if we cancel because of bone hard winter pitches, then the same should apply in September.

Beware then, full contact pre season friendlies, many of which start on the 11th, ie in 2 weeks time!!!

WL XIII

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 04:30:58 PM
A lot of the amateur RL round me hasn’t played very much in the last month for different reasons.

From my point of view it’s not safe. Fortunately as captain I have a opportunity to elect not to play of the pitch isn’t suitably safe.
I’m sure there will be no sanctions from YRFU, not with IRB channeling a lot of enthusiasm towards looking after players heads. Head injuries are almost guaranteed on this hard ground. That’s before we start talking about the chance of dislocating shoulders , broken wrist etc.
It's not just people with triskaidekaphobia that should fear Outside Centres. Everyone should.

ye olde 9

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 05:10:39 PM
I am not sure I agree, but looking at the long term forecast the wetest Aug in 50 years, I think we will be ok.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 06:35:18 PM
I think Wili X you have answered your own query. There is no difference between a cancellation in Winter due to frost and now due to a ground baked as hard as concrete . I would also suggest that seriously hot conditions are dangerous for our players . Certainly the warm up games should be cancelled if prevailing conditions continue . It is doubtful this weather will continue into September though . I don’t see how anyone can complain if games are cancelled . I know in my day we played on rock hard pitches but it wasn’t fun or enjoyable ( and having clothes stuck to the grazes at work the following week was horrible. . Stupid machismo to do so.. just my opinion . Surely a blanket delay isn’t required ... each club and captain can decide on day before as we do in Winter ?  Also note RL pitches are being watered heavily ... last nights game at Saint Helen’s saw players slipping on the soft surface !

avinastella

Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 07:59:36 PM
Also note RL pitches are being watered heavily ... last nights game at Saint Helen’s saw players slipping on the soft surface !

So much for the hosepipe ban over that side of the hills

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 06:06:30 PM
No problem at silver royd...We have our own bore hole and irrigation system. Nice green turf awaits cleg in September (after two away games - if played!)

Invest in facilities not mercenaries......
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

WL XIII

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 07:56:21 PM
We know all about Scarborough’s famous bore, RHM. You’re only half right calling him a hole.

Rhymes with “farse”  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:27:08 PM by WL XIII »

porkies

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 09:33:27 PM
If you’re going to insult someone at least spell farce correctly young sir.
Do remember that I’m a moderator now and therefore very important so don’t make personal insults a habit please, there’s a good chap .

WL XIII

Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 10:36:13 PM
Oh man!

Poor spelling on a rugby forum that’s been deader than the grass for 3months.

Personal assault. He’s not even a real person. He’s a figment of BRBs imagination.

If your a mod ,I’m a rocker 8)