$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Skiptens poor show from Y1

Skiptens poor show from Y1

This is a discussion for the topic Skiptens poor show from Y1 on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Skiptens poor show from Y1  (Read 4200 times)

Ian1307

• Finding my feet
on: August 05, 2018, 04:31:21 PM
Was it the ground or the weather but no shows at Skiptens from Salem, Keighley, Heath or Crocs (although understand that one). Might even too far for Wharfedale!

avinastella

• A little respect please...
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 04:44:01 PM
I suspect they all have their reasons. Remember, this is afterall, a voluntary pre season run out.
Your last one would have been much more fun if you'd planned for people to turn up and have a (decent) beer whilst watching.

Also, planning it for the main holiday fortnight was always going to have an impact.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:45:40 PM by avinastella »
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Ian1307

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 05:21:09 PM
Aren’t all preseason games voluntary? We went with a good strong side to get a test and whilst it was very well run and organised, it was one league instead of 2 when we got there. My point was presumably they all had good reasons for crying off but doesn’t bode well for the future of such events if teams say they will go and then cry off at the last minute.

Ribb Exile in Lancs

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 06:02:05 PM
It was the lateness of the withdrawals that surprised  me. I know our coaches worked hard throughout the week to raise a 15 man squad, even co-opting a couple of lads from our friends at Colne & Nelson (Thanks lads). Thanks to Skipton for organising the tournament, our lads enjoyed the day despite being overcome by York in the end. I don't often disagree with your comments Stella but how the quality of the host's beer affects a club's ability to raise a team is totally beyond my comprehension.

avinastella

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 06:05:17 PM
It was the lateness of the withdrawals that surprised  me. I know our coaches worked hard throughout the week to raise a 15 man squad, even co-opting a couple of lads from our friends at Colne & Nelson (Thanks lads). Thanks to Skipton for organising the tournament, our lads enjoyed the day despite being overcome by York in the end. I don't often disagree with your comments Stella but how the quality of the host's beer affects a club's ability to raise a team is totally beyond my comprehension.
It has a major impact when watching Flaggy.
As i recall, one barrel of keg (witches p*ss), then nowt else. With the fine hostelries nearby it takes a bit of resolve to stay to the end.

Ian1307

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 06:18:38 PM
Oh sorry my mistake I thought your comments regarding reasons for not going were serious. Originally we had Heath, Salem, Keighley, Crocs, Cleck and Wharfedale in our group so we’re looking forward to first test of pre-season. No disrespect at all to the other teams who honoured a commitment made by the way.

Sheeptownlad

• Finding my feet
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 09:38:38 PM
Never heard of any complaints before Avinastella, perhaps you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to beer? Maybe you will join us next year and perhaps you can let us know what you like and make some refreshment recommendations rather than trolling a club trying to put some entertainment on during the summer...

carlthewlisjohns

• One of the boys
  • Rugby is always the winner
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 10:02:13 PM
Amen to that! Played Skipton 10’s in the late 90’s. I hope the Clubs that did not turn up called ahead.

Ribb Exile in Lancs

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 02:05:20 AM
As i recall, one barrel of keg (witches p*ss), then nowt else. With the fine hostelries nearby it takes a bit of resolve to stay to the end.
Well done Stella you must have found something far stronger than the Skipton "witches leerdammer", the post was from exile not flaggy, however good luck for the forthcoming season. (please stuff Moortown)

Ribbflagman

Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 12:46:17 PM
You only needed beer when I was flagging to toast my total impartiality. I respect thst????????

Memory_Man

• Legend
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 01:06:55 PM
Well done Stella you must have found something far stronger than the Skipton "witches leerdammer", the post was from exile not flaggy, however good luck for the forthcoming season. (please stuff Moortown)

Don’t you concern yourself with Y1 results...lemons

avinastella

Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 02:29:02 PM
You only needed beer when I was flagging to toast my total impartiality. I respect thst????????
Wait until you play Ripon. You'll need a few whiskies then.

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 03:51:20 PM
I remember the Skipton 10s Carl...if I remember rightly we ended the final with 8 players

carlthewlisjohns

• One of the boys
  • Rugby is always the winner
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 04:16:40 PM
We did indeed Mink and lost to what was I believe the French U19’s that had travelled for a tour. Good times! Rib Excile, I presume you didn’t attend the Town Vs Ribb fixture as you have heard the speech I gave after the match to your players, your captain I might add who while at Uni lived in one of my houses, which highlighted openly the fantastic relationship between the two clubs, how we sincerely hoped for Ribb to stay up and what a great trip it was for Moortown. The pre match meal was well attended and overall was a successful rugby day. I have no idea what Moortown have done to upset you so much :)