$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Champions...

Author Topic: Champions...  (Read 12116 times)

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
Re: Champions...
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 11:01:05 AM »
A considered post. Obviously I would disagree with most of it but everyone observes the same events from different perspectives.

Over the last couple of decades Scarborough have had plenty of practice of losing with dignity!

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Master_Knowledge

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »
You normally disappear from the ground without a trace when you lose if what I've been told is true!

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 06:56:58 PM »
If the Scarborough disciplinary matter relates to their home match v Pocklington may I make the following observations:

On entering the ground, I received the distinct impression that the home side felt that all they had to do was turn up to take the game from their lowly opposition. This impression was further reinforced following Pocklington's inability to score after being camped in the Scarborough 22 for the first 15 minutes.

The referee was playing the laws in a different way to what the home side was expecting. The home captain allowed this to go on for too long before he first started questioning the official. This led to both frustration mounting within his team, and a belligerent manner in his communication with the referee. It is a known fact that in this league referees from different associations officiate in different ways. Scarborough's failure to deal with this was the single main factor in their defeat. It was also noted that one of the Scarborough replacements became involved in an argumentative discussion with a Pocklington supporter towards the end of the first half. I know from my own sporting days that once you lose 100% concentration in the game in hand then you are beaten.

Both these points will be doubtless confirmed by the forensic Scarborough video evidence. I have no doubt that as well as showing the alleged elbow to the face  made by the Pocklington scrum half, it will also highlight the disgraceful behaviour meted out by elements of the home crowd to the visiting 18 year old fly half as he prepared for, and missed, his conversions.  There is no place for that in any sport, let alone this fine game. Doubtless it will also show the thuggish challenge (I won't call it a tackle) made on the Pocklington prop in the first minutes of the game causing him to leave the field of play. The sort of video evidence normally found on Saturday night town centre CCTV footage.

Silver Royd is a fine ground and Scarborough is a fine community rugby club. To become a great club they need to acquire the quality of dignity in defeat.
I had posted a similar list plus more with regard to a Pocklington team member experience on the day. My post was taken down by the Scarborough moderating mafia and I was personally attacked for my vile slurs!
The truth is the ref is a local to North Yorkshire and Scarborough obviously got the wrong side of him, which doesn’t help the players or the vociferous boo boys who occupy the balcony. Scarborough need to sort out the wheat from the chaff otherwise there will always be potential for reoccurrences which I am sure they nor the team are hosting will want to see!
They let themselves down as did their Captain. The problem is you can’t learn from your mistakes unless you are prepared to acknowledge you were wrong!
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 07:10:47 PM »
You normally disappear from the ground without a trace when you lose if what I've been told is true!
That won’t have happened many times this season!

Offline torquil

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 07:26:56 PM »
As BRB so correctly says in his reply to my post "everyone observes the same events from different perspectives".

I was there, my posting was made from my perspective.

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2019, 02:40:39 PM »
So a Morpeth 5 point win v Driffield will allow them to be crowned as champions away at Consett the following week.
The last home game of their season v Morley will then be a dead rubber to them but not to Morley, who will be hunting down any Scarborough failures or frailties!

Offline stubbs

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2019, 11:07:17 AM »
It is probably time for the players of all sides to start listening to referees and not questioning decisions en mass. I would probably advocate players not being able to talk to referees at all during a game. Certainly on Saturday there were West Leeds players in the referees ear at numerous times during the game particularly when they were under pressure at scrums. I do agree that referees from different societies referee games differently. Our 3 best referees have been on exchanges this season. As for the boo boys on the balcony at Scarborough they were in evidence when York were there earlier in the season trying to intimidate the York kicker. There is no room for them in Rugby Union and I am sure Scarborough's committee will bear that in mind 

Offline Pristine Shorts

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
It looks pretty interesting in Durham/Northumberland One - the top three are on 104, 103 and 102 points. The big game is Durham City v West Hartlepool, a double-pointer if ever there was one. And it looks as if it will be Heath playing the loser in the play-offs to see who'll be coming into N1E next season, along with Morpeth and Carlisle.

And I wonder whether it will be Scarborough or Morley that will be welcoming them.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:49:17 AM by Pristine Shorts »

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2019, 02:14:23 PM »
It looks pretty interesting in Durham/Northumberland One - the top three are on 104, 103 and 102 points. The big game is Durham City v West Hartlepool, a double-pointer if ever there was one. And it looks as if it will be Heath playing the loser in the play-offs to see who'll be coming into N1E next season, along with Morpeth and Carlisle.

And I wonder whether it will be Scarborough or Morley that will be welcoming them.....
or Blackburn!

Offline Pristine Shorts

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2019, 02:28:19 PM »
Indeed ! Forgot about them....

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2019, 08:13:47 AM »
It is probably time for the players of all sides to start listening to referees and not questioning decisions en mass. I would probably advocate players not being able to talk to referees at all during a game. Certainly on Saturday there were West Leeds players in the referees ear at numerous times during the game particularly when they were under pressure at scrums. I do agree that referees from different societies referee games differently. Our 3 best referees have been on exchanges this season. As for the boo boys on the balcony at Scarborough they were in evidence when York were there earlier in the season trying to intimidate the York kicker. There is no room for them in Rugby Union and I am sure Scarborough's committee will bear that in mind
I agree with your sentiments Stubbs but players are actually coached to draw the attention of the referee to incidents in play and particularly around the breakdown area. I suppose you would call it appealing as in football, trying to secure your team an advantage. The problem being is some players don’t have the nounce to use it in a positive way and it becomes direct criticism of the referee and if everyone is at it, it can become a free for all.
Back to the good old days for me! Where only the captain and pack leader may approach the referee to enquirer as to a decision or draw the the attention of the referee to law infringements that are going unpunished!
Everyone else on notice that any verbal infringement would lead to a penalty and or additional sanctions being awarded against them for repeat offences.
But I suspect too much water has passed under that bridge!!

Offline Pristine Shorts

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2019, 09:59:55 AM »
Aka The Good Old Days, DAA.....

Offline Play On

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »
I agree with your sentiments Stubbs but players are actually coached to draw the attention of the referee to incidents in play and particularly around the breakdown area. I suppose you would call it appealing as in football, trying to secure your team an advantage. The problem being is some players don’t have the nounce to use it in a positive way and it becomes direct criticism of the referee and if everyone is at it, it can become a free for all.
Back to the good old days for me! Where only the captain and pack leader may approach the referee to enquirer as to a decision or draw the the attention of the referee to law infringements that are going unpunished!
Everyone else on notice that any verbal infringement would lead to a penalty and or additional sanctions being awarded against them for repeat offences.
But I suspect too much water has passed under that bridge!!
Agree with both of you as i too have seen a couple of times the 80 mins+ forensics from the Scabs v Pock game and the Scabs captain and 9 were appealing from min 1 (been doing it all game ref lol) which for any referee they will and should enforce game values so the sooner players get used to that the better the game is usually. The best captains manage their team discipline but there are a lot more who even their coaches question whether they have the right captain. How many pens in a game do you see for this and how many lead to YCs or higher when the captain can't handle their own players appealing. Will be tight between Scabs and Morley and it could be fine margins so discipline could be key. Best of luck to both clubs

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2019, 12:25:03 PM »
The simple fact it is the clubs power to modify player behavior towards referees.
But who is going to do that if it is disadvantageous to your side.
The top level of the game pundits revel in how players like McCall and others are in the referees ear all the time. I accept he was a captain but he was OTT for me.
I do think a directive should come out from RFU to clubs that they will have a significant change in direction and support the referee to take some unnecessary chat out of the game. That may also involve re-education for some of the fans who possibly read but then totally ignore codes of conduct etc carried in most programmes.
Otherwise I regret to say we will slide towards some unwanted disorder amongst supporters which I see as inevitable unless we see some true leadership and re-establish traditional values like respecting the kicker etc!

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2019, 01:03:59 PM »
The simple fact it is the clubs power to modify player behavior towards referees.
But who is going to do that if it is disadvantageous to your side.
The top level of the game pundits revel in how players like McCall and others are in the referees ear all the time. I accept he was a captain but he was OTT for me.
I do think a directive should come out from RFU to clubs that they will have a significant change in direction and support the referee to take some unnecessary chat out of the game. That may also involve re-education for some of the fans who possibly read but then totally ignore codes of conduct etc carried in most programmes.
Otherwise I regret to say we will slide towards some unwanted disorder amongst supporters which I see as inevitable unless we see some true leadership and re-establish traditional values like respecting the kicker etc!
If i can come in on this. Yes, it is in a clubs power to modify a players behaviour towards the Referee.
It is NOT disadvanteous to do so.

I've no idea what went on at Scarbs/Pock match other than whats posted on here. If the spectators have been getting a bit giddy it will and does rub off onto the more excitable payers. Thus the downward spiral begins. If this is the case, i'm surprised and suspect the club will indeed attempt to rectify the situation with the services offered by RH himself.

I know the Referees society have had presentaions from RH tailored towards their standpoint in a game.
RH makes himself available to any club who wish to avail themselves of his services in Referee/game management from a player/club perspective. I can personally say the presentations are excellent, topical and worth a saving of several penalty decisions per match. As we all know, that can be the difference between winning and losing. When a club loses due to backchat it only adds to the downward spiral.

When RH gave the presentations to us we also got feedback from the Society Sec. To us it was proof positive the presentations are worth it.

It's all about human nature and reinforcing of beliefs.
If a ref thinks your team or players are paragons of virtue, you will be treated as such.
If however, the Ref perceives you to be gobby and always backchatting, he will also treat you aas such. So with regard to those 50/50 calls that occur in ALL games, which way do you think they are likel/possibly going to go??

Bottom line, best training session any club can hold is the presention from RH.
And no, i'm not on commission.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.