$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Champions...

Champions...

This is a discussion for the topic Champions... on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Champions...  (Read 29395 times)

oldun

• Forum old hand
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 11:48:23 AM
Well, good luck to all 14 teams in the league----all of whom SHOULD be starting the season with high expectations!!

As for the "market leaders", well, we can expect both DRIFF and MORPETH to be up there with their experience, and finishing positions over the last few seasons.

BRAD and BINGLEY, a little bird told me at the weekend are paying Poser at least £30K, and are expecting/have got loads of new players. Poser has been bought to get them back where they THINK they should be----so expect them to be up there in the top 3/4.

Don't think YORK for all their recruitment will do it this season, neither will SCARBRO or CONSETT, all of whom will be around mid table.

MORLEY having come down may have to rebuild---but hey, who knows!

I  will be quite happy if the lads finish where we did last season, bang on mid table, 5 points above Malton---hope at the end we are 2nd best East Yorks side after Driff, or even the best !!!!!!

Should be a cracker of a season-----6 from East, 5 from West and only 3 from "up there"!!!!

Oldandslow

• A little respect please...
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 01:01:26 PM
Oldun

You are right about B&B splashing the cash they have also recruited Hugh Gumms who was Ponte head coach as Poser’s number 2, know he was well rewarded at Ponte.

As normal will be having several weekends in Brid this season, first visit planned for the second Saturday of the season when Brid entertain Scarborough.

No weak teams I think so should be a great season.

Chief Selector

• Forum old hand
Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 03:35:58 PM
Gumms will only be cone collecting if Poser is about........

Why do B&B do it....paying all that money........ they were doing it in 1988 when we used to wipe the floor with them and there still doing it 30 years later and have got nowhere....indeed they are lower down the scale

Master_Knowledge

• Forum old hand
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 04:25:21 PM
They still exist though eh

Johnosjstrap

• Finding my feet
Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 05:37:44 PM
Oldandslow,  for the 2nd year in succession apparently 'Morpeth have recruited well', and for the 2nd year in a row it would be good to know where these recruits are?

As a Morpeth man I can assure you, unless the turnip market has taken off or there's been some form of secretive Pacific Island rehousing project started in NE61, Morpeth will be relying on graduating Colts or walk ins for squad additions.

Half an orange a week is an attractive package to offer I admit but as per, we'll be home grown and pretty much same as always.

This season looks exciting, roll on Week 1.

Oldandslow

Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 06:11:57 PM
Gumms will only be cone collecting if Poser is about........

Why do B&B do it....paying all that money........ they were doing it in 1988 when we used to wipe the floor with them and there still doing it 30 years later and have got nowhere....indeed they are lower down the scale

Chief selector

Told he has signed a three year deal like Poser. They worked together with the Yorkshire  under 20 I think. With Yorkshire Poser was head coach and Gumms the backs coach.

You ask why they do it and the answer is they think they are a big club, think there is only them, Salem and Wibsey in the city.

TheChainsaw

• Finding my feet
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 03:00:14 PM
Signing a 3 year deal at this level is ridiculous. Typical of a club/person who think they're bigger/better than they actually are. Bees were very lucky not to be playing at level 7 this season, a reassessment and consolidation year would be more beneficial long term rather than chucking money at it in hope it will fix the rot temporarily.

For what it's worth. my predictions for the top 4 teams (in no particular order) are: Driffield, WL, Morpeth & Cleckheaton. I can see it going down to the wire, at both ends of the table

WL XIII

• "Not even noon shadows pass through Death Valley"
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 05:10:52 PM
They still exist though eh

Haha ????  timing.

30 years of paying big is actually pretty impressive.

I was on about “paying players” other day and I think it’s a bit like doing social drugs.
No one likes to admit they do it, its illegal, it can be exciting, we all know someone who does it and sometimes it can go very bad. But generally it’s none of my business. I don’t know the circumstances and it doesn’t change who they are or define them (usually)
I even get the same perverse satisfaction beating a paying club as I get staying out later than my mates who bang on it or out lifting the middle aged guy at gym who likes “juice” with his lunch.

Just a thought.
It’s pretty normal that it happens, you just gotta make your own choices.
Equally it’s not cool to wear a t shirt that reads “Say no to Drugs!
It's not just people with triskaidekaphobia that should fear Outside Centres. Everyone should.

Occasus Leodis sumus creber

TimberJedi

• Finding my feet
Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 10:19:47 PM
1 Morley
2 Driffield
3 Pocklington
4 West Leeds
5 York
6 Morpeth
7 Percy Park
8 Bradford & Bingley
9 Cleckheaton
10 Malton
11 Bridlington
12 Consett
13 Huddersfield
14 Scarborough

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 06:58:10 AM
Hope scarborough can manage a bit better than that....but good on you for actually nailing your colours to the mast.

Anyone else fancy a stab?
I don't enough about many of the teams.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Oldandslow

Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 08:02:34 AM
Already stated my top three but will have a go BRB

1 Driffield
2 West Leeds
3 Morpeth
4 B&B
5 Brid
6 Pocklington
7 York
8 Scarborough
9 Consett
10 Cleckheaton
11 Malton
12 Morley
13 YMCA
14 Percy Park

But as I’ve proved over recent years I’m useless at predicting.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:24:53 AM by Oldandslow »

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 08:27:23 AM
Shows how open it may be that someone has Morley as champions and someone else has them relegated!

Gorilla

• One of the boys
Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 09:03:57 PM
Already stated my top three but will have a go BRB

1 Driffield
2 West Leeds
3 Morpeth
4 B&B
5 Brid
6 Pocklington
7 York
8 Scarborough
9 Consett
10 Cleckheaton
11 Malton
12 Morley
13 YMCA
14 Percy Park

But as I’ve proved over recent years I’m useless at predicting.

Re: Durham and northumberland clubs season 2018/19
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:28:26 AM »
QuoteModifyRemove

I think Percy Park will do well this year and won’t be rock bottom.  They have a new head coach - Lawrence Patton from the Newcastle Falcons academy, Ash Smith has signed as player coach from Tynedale made the rugby papers national 2 dream team at 12 and they have also acquired the services of Matt Hodkinson who is the Falcons 1st team analyst who is also coaching.

They have also signed Ali Blair (centre) and Liam Scott (back row) back to the club from Newcastle Thunder. There has also been some very talented young players sign from local clubs who will definetly be getting a shot at 1st team rugby this year.

I think PP will do well this year and fingers crossed be pushing back at the top of the league!

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 09:20:39 PM
It's going to be competitive at the top.

Oldandslow

Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 07:41:53 AM
Gorilla

Have Percy Park at the bottom on my predictions above because in recent seasons they have had a steady decline. Think they were relegated from National 3 about five seasons ago and have since slipped down North One East and just avoided relegation last season.

That they have recruited well and strengthen will only serve to make the league even more competitive.

I for one will find it difficult to predict the results of the early league games and will no doubt assume my normal position towards the bottom of the predictions league.