$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Bradford Rugby

Bradford Rugby

This is a discussion for the topic Bradford Rugby on the board Yorkshire 4.

Author Topic: Bradford Rugby  (Read 4065 times)

omigidiant

• Legend
on: August 11, 2018, 11:38:45 PM
How is it that a city the size of Bradford can only raise 2 teams within the old city limits, Wibsey and Salem? Before everyone starts correctng me I know there's B&B, Baildon, Cleck and Ribb which are technically in the Bradford postcode but as an old Bradfordian to me they're not Bradford. I know RL has always been a stronghold of Bradford but there's not that many RL teams now adays, so why can't Bradford match Halifax or Leeds for their RU teams? I personally think that the original indiginous rugby population has been eroded to such an extent by the vast immigrant population of the city to the extent  that both Wibsey and Salem will struggle to survive in the long term, as these peoples have absolutely no interest in rugby of either code. No doubt I will now be labeled a racist and all the usual do gooders will castigate me for these comments but in reality how many Asian rugby players do you ever see in Bradford, even though they now make up almost 50% of the population, and they are most welcome at all our rugby clubs in this area. So again in my opinion as long as these ethnic groups expand then our rugby will decline in Bradford. Sad!!
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

TJ

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 12:32:23 AM
Have there been any clubs in Bradford fold over the last few years as not many places have seen an increase in new sides so has this always been the number of rugby union teams in Bradford?  I think that clubs such as B&B would still be considered by players in Bradford as an option of playing for a Bradford club given location.  Wakefield has Sandal, Rods, Ossett but still have Ponte, Cas, Hemsworth, Knottingley who although not as central to Wakefield as the first three are very close for players and people to watch even if they are their own larger towns within WF.
There was (on Sky I think) a doc approx five years ago regarding depleting cricket numbers and teams in Bradford along with number of Asian players in the game.  One reason given was that a lot of cricket clubs reveolved around the bar as this was the best way to make money for the club but did make it mor difficult to attract players from a non drinking background to the local clubs, however, went onto say without the bar takings it is also hard to run a club.

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

• Forum old hand
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 09:03:31 AM
20% of the 350,000 bradford population are Asian. Halifax has a population of 90,000. My only guess is that a lack of union being played in schools is a reason.

We at Wibsey feel our future is bright, we are in a brilliant catchment area and now share a good relationship with 3/4 good summer playing RL clubs.

Salem may struggle with being in Heaton a largely Asian area, but with a growing junior section and a few brown envelopes they will survive. Just possibly not in Y1

Shirt filler

• A little respect please...
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:24:29 PM
I believe with most sports, its about schools. If kids aren't playing Union at school then unlikely they will start later in life unless around union players. So the question for me would be, how many schools in Bradford teach rugby union?

Wilyjim

• Forum old hand
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 06:29:54 PM
There is a strong rugby league presence in this area, which is a real shame because those clubs often skim the cream from the curdled milk... And the union clubs have to deal with what's left!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:31:33 PM by Wilyjim »

nazir4

• Forum old hand
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 07:59:00 AM
Where are the Asian rugby players? RFU likes to focus on development of women's rugby which is great, but I can't help thinking the lack of racial diversity is an unopened can of worms. I think the last East European ethnic to play for England was Prince Obolensky.

Wilyjim

• Forum old hand
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 12:07:08 PM
As I've always said, money talks. If the RFU doesn't invest in development, development officers and development programs, then sadly all these questions remain...

top prop

• Forum old hand
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 12:22:52 PM
And by the look of it grassroots rugby is going to suffer I've heard the development coaches are being cut due to the new stand development at Twickenham going over budget