$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Game plan

Author Topic: Game plan  (Read 1343 times)

Offline ye olde 9

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
Game plan
« on: September 02, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »
Just been having a chat with a 1st team skipper from another club about the good old days with a guy and a bucket rather than 4 coaches obsessed with running around the corner in diamond formations etc, worrying about backs moves that are practised over and over and may be used half a dozen times a year. Does anyone else miss forwards being hard men that go forward and hit hard, half backs being in the 9 & 10 jersey because they talk the most, a 12 and 13 that can dummy and sidestep half a team and fullback who is the team for his goal kicking but scared of his own shadow.

Ha the good old days

Calder-beast

Re: Game plan
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 03:40:25 PM »
Yes and the bucket and sponge were full of god knows what.
Baths that had an inch of scum on top from the filthy crust clinging to the walls.
Changing rooms not cleaned out from the previous season.
Pitches a foot deep in mud in October.
Line markings that looked like they had been applied by a drunken man.
Bamboo canes for corner flags ooh those splinters.
Serving yourself behind the bar because this weeks volunteer has gone on holiday and told no one.
Bars floors awash with beer because the good old boys wanted to play silly games every week.
Suspect I am a bit older than you Ye Old 9.
The Good Old Day’s.
Do I miss it NO NO NO.

Offline Welshwonder

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
Happy days indeed, wrong side of 60 now so been around the block a few times with those after match antics, I remember one club who I'm not going to name whose shower facilty consisted of a single copper pipe flattened at the end and the water was invariably cold if you got in 5 minutes after game finished.  There was always a distinct aroma of the clashed in there as well. Oranges at half time, traditional, wonder where that went as well, but happy days all the same!

Offline ye olde 9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 04:33:51 PM »
Lol I know the facilities and stuff are better, but playing by number isnt. I played for Dinnington at 18 and can still remember the players names of a certain ilk the dummying centre the hard as nails hookers, these days players are much of a.muchness. ps oranges and a mug of tea to should make a.come back.

Calder-beast

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
Quite agree with the oranges and tea. But what are the players going to have.

Offline ye olde 9

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 05:01:24 PM »
 >:( >:(

Offline Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
Yes and the bucket and sponge were full of god knows what.
Baths that had an inch of scum on top from the filthy crust clinging to the walls.
Changing rooms not cleaned out from the previous season.
Pitches a foot deep in mud in October.
Line markings that looked like they had been applied by a drunken man.
Bamboo canes for corner flags ooh those splinters.
Serving yourself behind the bar because this weeks volunteer has gone on holiday and told no one.
Bars floors awash with beer because the good old boys wanted to play silly games every week.
Suspect I am a bit older than you Ye Old 9.
The Good Old Day’s.
Do I miss it NO NO NO.

Most clubs ran 4 teams
travelled 60 miles to play friendly fixtures.
Can't remember anyone dying from the sponge
Didn't need a rest in middle of season
No mobile phones for the wife/girlfriend to want to know what time you would be home
I didn't bother how good facilities where just wanted to play rugby

Offline Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 06:23:00 PM »
And SHORTS had pockets :) :) :)

Offline baconears

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
I have not seen watering cans filled with beer going round after the match.

Are they still used?

Offline Rob13

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »
I never enjoyed over coaching and by that I mean run this move then run that move then do this. I prefer watching players off the leash allowed to do what they want call them mavericks if you will. Give me a Cipriani type player over a Barrel type any day.

Appreciate its going off on one but I do think the game is suffering with all kinds of problems and this issue is but one of them.

Offline Dropkicker

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 09:04:24 PM »
Not a hope in hell of having a good game of "Zulu warrior" either because of health & safety or someone might deem it racist😀

Calder-beast

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 10:17:03 PM »
And the damage to the tray.

Have you ever tried to carry a round of drinks after a Zulu Warrior session.

Never a problem for me I might add.

Offline ye olde 9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »
The good old days.  ;D We start training at the Uni next week, all you will see is core skills, having fun, enjoy and try it, if it doesn't work no one dies, the want and will to play and win for the shirt and your mates. And obviously a full kicking ban :D :D :D. Scrum we push them off it, lines out we out jump them, backs the ball is quicker than the man, Job done 13,11 &14score over 30 try's each:D.

Anyway need to read up on playing around the corner, diamond formation and all the other tosh !!!

Offline Ossett 9 no more

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
Absolutely loved reading the above , all happy memories

Great post yo olde 9 (hope you are well mate !)

Offline Rob13

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 08:02:35 PM »
The good old days.  ;D We start training at the Uni next week, all you will see is core skills, having fun, enjoy and try it, if it doesn't work no one dies, the want and will to play and win for the shirt and your mates. And obviously a full kicking ban :D :D :D. Scrum we push them off it, lines out we out jump them, backs the ball is quicker than the man, Job done 13,11 &14score over 30 try's each:D.

Anyway need to read up on playing around the corner, diamond formation and all the other tosh !!!

You've got me curious how did the job interview go to get this gig?