$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; RFU North Review

RFU North Review

This is a discussion for the topic RFU North Review on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: RFU North Review  (Read 50708 times)

old style prop

• A little respect please...
  • anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #45 on: December 20, 2018, 05:04:44 PM
One of the things they seemed desperate to bring in and no one apart from the "big" clubs seem to want is to allow higher level teams 2nd teams to enter the leagues. I am sure they will get their way eventually those clubs will then poach players from smaller clubs for their 2nd teams to win by cricket scores leading to even more clubs folding - just can understand why the persist with that one.

caravan boys

• One of the boys
Reply #46 on: December 20, 2018, 05:49:35 PM
Only one way that will end big clubs get bigger and will have 3 or 4 teams and the grass roots clubs will fold .
Not sure that's expanding the game !

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #47 on: December 20, 2018, 08:19:37 PM
I was over at a Lancashire club last week and that is exactly what they are pushing for. The sticking point is the registration between both teams.

avinastella

Reply #48 on: December 20, 2018, 08:30:10 PM
I was over at a Lancashire club last week and that is exactly what they are pushing for. The sticking point is the registration between both teams.
Wasn't that popular at the Yorkshire meeting.
It does seem the Lancashire clubs have some persuasion though. God knows how. Perhaps throwing your toys out of the pram does work after aall?
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

davie

• One of the boys
Reply #49 on: December 20, 2018, 10:37:46 PM
Never had any doubt that this wasn’t a consultation just a charade to help them get over their problem with what to do with the annexed Cumbrian clubs.
Initial thoughts are will Yorkshire and North East Club’s do a Lancashire and form their own leagues, and how can they think any changes for season 2019-20 can be revealed half way through season 2018-19 when we are all playing under the existing promotion and relegation scenario?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:39:36 PM by davie »

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #50 on: December 21, 2018, 07:01:28 PM
I am strongly against 2nd teams being in the league structure. It creates clubs within clubs and would in my opinion contribute to a toxic atmosphere within a club. Example is that first team are struggling in league, loads of injury problems, 2nd team doing well in theirs and winning every week, there will be some lads who refuse to go and play for at team in a higher league as they don't want to lose. Sad but true.

I do think there needs to be flexibility around fixtures, more and more players are getting married and having stag dos's in the season as it is cheaper.

I also think the season would be better without the cups and free weekends instead.

I think you'd get much more buy in and enjoyment from clubs with an end of season tournament. Turn the Yorkshire cup/shield/trophy into sevens tournaments. All held over one weekend (bank holiday in May). League rules so can only use players registered for your club by end Feb.

Just spent half an hour thinking it through and tried to come up with various options but problems with any way you go. You won't please everyone whichever way you go.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #51 on: December 21, 2018, 07:39:39 PM
Hi, Dan and Happy Christmas !

It seems so long ago that we at Ilkley played the same opposition 1,2 3 and 4 and of course, it’s the same with all Clubs.

Personally, I’d love our A and B teams to be playing Skipton, Ribb, Keighley etc

Even Grovians !

Seriously, the number of cancelled/postponed games is ridiculous and I’m afraid it’s the travel that is mostly to blame, plus a toxic combination of the Me Now generation and softer, snowflake alternatives....

avinastella

Reply #52 on: December 21, 2018, 08:56:33 PM
Here's a question.
With the RFU and the North  bending over backwards to accomodate the clubs in the West. Assuming the come up with a solution, how are they going to bring all the clubs that took their bat home back into the leagus.
Regulations currently state that clubs applying to join the Leagues must do so from the Bottom.

Lets see how the swerve that one.

avinastella

Reply #53 on: December 27, 2018, 11:57:45 AM
Never had any doubt that this wasn’t a consultation just a charade to help them get over their problem with what to do with the annexed Cumbrian clubs.
Initial thoughts are will Yorkshire and North East Club’s do a Lancashire and form their own leagues, and how can they think any changes for season 2019-20 can be revealed half way through season 2018-19 when we are all playing under the existing promotion and relegation scenario?
Suggestion that the RFU committee aren't fully in touch with the clubs (again)?

http://www.rolling-maul.com/revolt-in-the-north_topic16736_post414787.html#414787

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #54 on: December 27, 2018, 06:02:32 PM
Maybe it's going to be impossible for one league structure to satisfy the differing demands and requirements of clubs.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
Reply #55 on: December 27, 2018, 07:33:58 PM
I don't believe second teams in the league is the solution .however third teams could work  by only being allowed to register for one team with very limited movement between the two sides to avoid the lower team being filled with first team players when it suits . This is nothing new going back  5 to 10 years ago Pontefract 3rds (Pythons) Wharfedale 5ths (Rams) Harrogate 3rds (Pythons) Wakefield vets (Cougars) all had teams in Yorkshire 5. They where all separate clubs with their right afflitated to the RFU.Having played with Pontefract Pythons Yorkshire 5 and  decent 3rd team rugby where a similar standard. It would create more teams in the leagues utilising the fantastic facilities at the top Yorkshire clubs .

Shirt filler

Reply #56 on: December 31, 2018, 03:37:25 AM
I think the 3rd team idea is better than 2nd teams as I believe its less likely to be abused in the same way but if it worked then Wharfedale and Pontefract would surely be still doing it.

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #57 on: January 09, 2019, 01:30:23 PM
Proposed structures (3) have been sent to clubs today.

avinastella

Reply #58 on: January 09, 2019, 01:43:13 PM
Proposed structures (3) have been sent to clubs today.
Why have the meetings?
Fixing what wasnt broken.

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #59 on: January 09, 2019, 01:57:45 PM
1. To agree a structure
2. Are you sure it ain’t broke?
Doing away with level transfers is a starter.