$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; RFU North Review

RFU North Review

This is a discussion for the topic RFU North Review on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: RFU North Review  (Read 50714 times)

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 10:57:43 AM
If we could relocate Settle, would we ?? Definitely not. We love our surroundings and travel is part of our club culture. We have a bus every week and now actively try to get both teams to travel together as often as possible. Later this season we have a bus booked on two occasions  when both teams are playing at different  clubs but will travel together. This has been well received by the players and engenders club spirit. When you only have 3 clubs within a 16 mile radius as we have and only another 3 within a 28 mile radious ( three of them in national leagues) travel is a necessity if you want to play rugby.  The excuses  given for non fulfillment of cup fixtures is rarely genuine and often apathetic. So i urge ALL clubs to embrace away fixtures and make them a social event for the players, the vast majority of whom actually pay match fees for the privilege of playing for their local team.

Novocastrian

• One of the boys
Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 01:04:50 PM
Avina. I’ve not said National cup games is the answer.
But teams in your leagues don't turn up for County Cup games.

When did I say more county cup games was the answer?

I’m not advocating that - but what I would say, is the reason the cups (in most counties) aren’t taken seriously anymore is because players don’t want to have to play more and more rugby at the end of a long hard season.

It’s also why I’d argue Senior County rugby is on its knees apart from in Cornwall, Yorkshire and Lancashire. The players don’t want to do it.

There needs to be change somewhere.

I was speaking to someone who attended the meeting at Morpeth on Tuesday. Lots of differing opinions and ideas floating around; but all were agreed that change is needed (in the NE at least). However, Cumbria are pining to join the DN leagues. I can’t see that happening.

So now you have 4 counties out of 6 in the North of England who aren’t happy (I don’t know about Cheshire - but it could be 5 from 6!). Change is inevitable

avinastella

Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 01:31:12 PM
Out of interest, how many clubs attended the Morpeth meeting?

Word is, not many. On that basis, it could be argued, not many care.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

PercyR

• One of the boys
Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 04:56:30 PM
Perhaps Durham and Northumberland are not inherently different to Yorkshire, just further down the track in their aversion to travel?

Stockton are mentioned on here as one of the worst travellers, but I well remember Stockton being one of Pock's 'big' games in pre-league days, and playing them home and away from 1st to 3rds in the 1970s and 80s, in 1974 I played against Stockton 1sts at Pock on Easter Saturday and got well beat with both sides being just about full strength. Another big game was Gateshead Fell who we played 1st-4ths home and away, same with Darlington.

We wouldn't our get lower sides to play a friendly now out of county unless it was a one off tour game.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #34 on: October 21, 2018, 06:25:21 PM
There really isn't an easy answer to this ....not one of the various options satisfy all the issues.

A bit like Brexit!
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Ribbflagman

Reply #35 on: October 21, 2018, 08:02:31 PM
Brexit is simple imo. Lets go and stand on our own two feet. I personally am fed up with being told what we can and cant do by a European system that stifles our go forward attitude.
 Its time Theresa stood tall and told them to?????

Shirt filler

Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 04:33:42 PM
Looking at results so far this season, Only Sheffield Oaks (bottom of York 4) have given a walk-over (twice) in the league so far in all Yorkshire and D&N Leagues. I do believe on at least 1 of those occasions oaks travelled but just short of numbers so played a friendly instead. Teams seem to be travelling fine as the leagues stand. Its the cups that seem to be the issue for travelling sides.

avinastella

Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 10:38:39 AM

Aspull HWO Furness
Bolton HWO Aspatria
Northallerton 36 - 0 Whitley Bay Rockcliff
Old Rishworthians 24    - 33 Novocastrians
Thornensians 63 - 10 Blyth

We now have 20 walkovers in the County 'Cup' competitions.

And still the RFU make noises suggesting cup rugby is the way forward.

nazir4

• Forum old hand
Reply #38 on: November 11, 2018, 01:00:25 PM
Got to agree - solution to non-participation in cup competitions and teams unwilling to travel seems to be more cup games and travelling further.

Decreasing playing numbers is a massive issue. Here's an idea - scrap merit tables. No points at stake, just an opportunity for 30 odd players to run around with their mates before a few shandies with just an occasional bus trip. You can play local teams rather than anywhere in god's county and give novices a chance to get involved without the pressure of the 3rdXV dropping from 5th to 6th in a Yorkshire merit 2 east south west A.

Interested in thoughts on this?

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #39 on: November 11, 2018, 03:16:59 PM
Got to agree - solution to non-participation in cup competitions and teams unwilling to travel seems to be more cup games and travelling further.

Decreasing playing numbers is a massive issue. Here's an idea - scrap merit tables. No points at stake, just an opportunity for 30 odd players to run around with their mates before a few shandies with just an occasional bus trip. You can play local teams rather than anywhere in god's county and give novices a chance to get involved without the pressure of the 3rdXV dropping from 5th to 6th in a Yorkshire merit 2 east south west A.

I personally am a huge fan of the merit leagues and when I played in them I loved looking at the league table and how many points we had etc. It gave the game extra meaning.

Now I’m running Sandal Socials 4 points on a Saturday are irrelevant and that is about getting matches played.

There have been many initiatives to try and get more games played but it’s a hard thing to fix.

One of the issues is pressure from the clubs first team specifically surrounding front rows. Props and hookers can be like gold dust.

Are the cups irrelevant/had their day? I’m not sure, it would certainly be a shame if they are.

#lovesport

Dropkicker

• Forum old hand
Reply #40 on: November 11, 2018, 06:06:19 PM

100% agree re scrappping merit leagues, although I have to state this is not th official view of York RUFC. Playing local teams on a friendly basis would save cost and create many local derbies and possibly create more interest for spectators. Appreciate friendly and derbys don't go " hand in glove"
Only down fall I see is it may create one side games although my memory of 20/30 years ago this wasn't the norm????
I would go as far as to say (without evidence so just an opinion) that merit leagues have been part of the reason for the demise in numbers playing rugby. Today's average rugby player is way different from years gone by. They certainly can't/won't commit to week in week out rugby 8 months of the year at merit league level. If each week is a friendly and your playing for the pure enjoyment, as when your able, your more like to get players staying interested in the game for longer, just my opinion.

Shirt filler

Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 12:33:03 AM
Why scrap merit leagues? Teams aren't forced to play in them. If teams don't want to be involved in them and just play localised friendlies then just do that. That doesn't need a RFU review or intervention. I know of a good handful of teams that just play socially in Yorkshire already.

davie

• One of the boys
Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 12:57:01 PM
Has to make you laugh though - the RFU wandering round the country saying let's play less rugby!

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #43 on: December 20, 2018, 01:32:11 PM

avinastella

Reply #44 on: December 20, 2018, 01:45:40 PM
Interesting article on Lancashire website;

http://lancashirerfu.pitchero.com/news/rfu-north-leagues-consultation-document-25467/
Received it yesterday.
Earlier suspicions confirmed.

In a nutshell. When they want our opinion, they'll give it to us.