$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; N1E not primary school

N1E not primary school

This is a discussion for the topic N1E not primary school on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: N1E not primary school  (Read 6727 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: October 21, 2018, 08:20:09 PM
Durham and Northumberland rugby seems to be stuck in the dark days of the 1970's.

Not only do they want to reduce leagues to no more than 3 teams and only if they are visible from the roof of their clubhouse.....they now object to clubs charging entrance fee to matches. A thread on our sister site dnrugby.com says that it's immoral to charge entrance but it's ok to charge £1 for a programme. What planet do these cavemen live on. How much do they think it costs to design, paginate and print a full colour programme?

Maybe it's about time that D&N rugby ditched the ancient old men in dandruff encrusted blazers who seem to dominate in the north east and let some enlightened chaps on the bridge.

IT IS NOT 1980 ANYMORE. For the good of the game please try and move on.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

avinastella

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 08:41:40 PM
I've just updated the Google map for all clubs in the north.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1tkEQbaJiNAQGG07gFZ-Yy7yqwlU&ll=53.680344659980534%2C-2.088132065440732&z=10

The complaints about travelling up to Cumbria i can understand but wanting to split the leagues down further shows that travel will not be reduced. Certainly not for year two onwards - and that's the catch they always overlook.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Rugby01

• One of the boys
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 09:04:18 PM
Avinastella,

First time I have seen the map.

Very impressive.

Thanks

Reference the debate:-

From a personal point of view, I have always enjoyed the travel.
I saw it as part of the "rugby experience".
If it's Saturday, it's Rugby.
Even if it means setting off at 9.00am and getting back at midnight.

By improving the quality of the team, it meant having to broaden the catchment area to play equivalent teams.
It was just understood the better the team got, the more travel there HAD to be.

davie

• One of the boys
Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 09:42:57 AM
Durham and Northumberland rugby seems to be stuck in the dark days of the 1970's.

Not only do they want to reduce leagues to no more than 3 teams and only if they are visible from the roof of their clubhouse.....they now object to clubs charging entrance fee to matches. A thread on our sister site dnrugby.com says that it's immoral to charge entrance but it's ok to charge £1 for a programme. What planet do these cavemen live on. How much do they think it costs to design, paginate and print a full colour programme?

Maybe it's about time that D&N rugby ditched the ancient old men in dandruff encrusted blazers who seem to dominate in the north east and let some enlightened chaps on the bridge.

IT IS NOT 1980 ANYMORE. For the good of the game please try and move on.

Yes they need to wake up and smell the coffee. Big difference between Yorkshire and D&N seems to be financial resources. If D&N clubs (not all as there are plenty like Northern, Durham, West Hartlepool and Westoe who have played happily in higher leagues) got their fingers out and raised more money to support their clubs and make them  more attarcive to players and supporters they may find life a bit different.
  I do not advocate this ....  but humbly suggest that if a player was getting a few bob/expenses every Saturday they would happily travel to Yorkshire or even the lovely Cumbria.

avinastella

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 10:05:58 AM

Yes they need to wake up and smell the coffee. Big difference between Yorkshire and D&N seems to be financial resources. If D&N clubs (not all as there are plenty like Northern, Durham, West Hartlepool and Westoe who have played happily in higher leagues) got their fingers out and raised more money to support their clubs and make them  more attarcive to players and supporters they may find life a bit different.
  I do not advocate this ....  but humbly suggest that if a player was getting a few bob/expenses every Saturday they would happily travel to Yorkshire or even the lovely Cumbria.
Funny you should say that. Recent thread from up there:
http://dnrugby.com/index.php?topic=2261.0

How do they think clubs pay the bills?

They really are stuck in the dark ages.

davie

• One of the boys
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 10:17:41 AM
Sounds like they want free admission, free glossy programme, free food and free beer.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 11:13:54 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1tkEQbaJiNAQGG07gFZ-Yy7yqwlU&ll=53.680344659980534%2C-2.088132065440732&z=10

The complaints about travelling up to Cumbria i can understand but wanting to split the leagues down further shows that travel will not be reduced. Certainly not for year two onwards - and that's the catch they always overlook.

AVS you do need to get a day job!  :) :)
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

avinastella

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 11:44:00 AM

AVS you do need to get a day job!  :) :)
I’ve just given the day job up. How could you tell?   ::)

Renegade

• Finding my feet
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 02:11:54 PM
Sorry but I couldn't help join in on this thread, being from D&N and also looking at it from a common sense angle.

I think we all know that Yorkshire rugby union is stronger on the whole than it's counterpart in the north east, that is pretty obvious just looking at the standards of the respective teams when they are combined at NE1 level or whenever respective sides meet in national cups. It is also correct that travelling for us in DN is relatively less compared to you guys down here in Yorkshire which is a vast county.

There are two points to consider though when comments are made about DN rugby, firstly, in Yorkshire you have had to live side by side with a professional version of the game, rugby league, for over a century and I think this produces a totally different attitude towards payments to players, coaches etc and the raising of finance within your club and communities. If you didn't have a much more business like approach then union may have ceased to exist at all. Up in DN RL is growing in popularity but is still a minority sport and very much amateur and as such it has much less influence on the union game which in the main is still very "amateur".

It is correct that there are clubs who are much more professionally run and travel is less of an issue, you have named a few, it might be worth considering that most have slid back down and all participation issues with some unable to field regular 2nd teams. My point on the DN thread is that rugby has become fixated on 1st team only rugby, climbing up the pyramid and being run like professional clubs even when clubs don't have a fan/supporter/member base to justify it. There are a few examples of clubs who have had there very existence threatened because they've nearly gone bust by chasing unrealistic expectations.

Secondly, making lower league levels more amateur and leagues more local could help in increasing participation, more games being played (other than just league games) and stronger clubs with more players. Once a club rises through the levels then yes, geographically it will become more of a commitment but hopefully clubs can sustain it instead of boom or bust.

The charging for entry issue is based on the standard of the games I think more than the principal, but as its not common place up here spectators and members are less inclined to accept it down the levels.

I realise it's a totally different mind set to you guys in Yorkshire but the idea to improve the game up here not weaken it further. In Yorkshire the system may need to be different but at local levels that should be possible.

davie

• One of the boys
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 12:31:36 PM
Well argued and I agree that paying players is short sighted and it will be interesting to see if the RFU enforce this season’s caps.
However this debate is more about how clubs can raise the finance to pay for the facilities and match day experience to attract and keep players and supporters getting involved every Saturday. On another thread there’s an argument that a well maintained website is a must have for clubs these days. It is all part of running a club properly.
By the way I’m assuming Billingham are still classed as a Durham club and they obviously charge admission, have a programme and pay players .

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 06:34:12 PM
Well argued and I agree that paying players is short sighted and it will be interesting to see if the RFU enforce this season’s caps.
However this debate is more about how clubs can raise the finance to pay for the facilities and match day experience to attract and keep players and supporters getting involved every Saturday. On another thread there’s an argument that a well maintained website is a must have for clubs these days. It is all part of running a club properly.
By the way I’m assuming Billingham are still classed as a Durham club and they obviously charge admission, have a programme and pay players .
Just like Scarborough you mean?
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

davie

• One of the boys
Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 06:44:22 PM
No as they are not in Durham and Northumberland leagues

Renegade

• Finding my feet
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 03:02:05 PM
davie I agree with your sentiments and yes Billingham are still a Durham club who charge admission but at level 5 I think that's expected and good value for any spectators.

My concern is for clubs who have haven't the infrastructure to support what is essentially a semi professional team. I think the pyramid can encourage poor management or decisions which put clubs in peril and I agree that the RFU should sanction clubs who pay their players at this level and below.

There are lots of decent players locally to me who have stopped playing because they lost their place in a clubs team to a "paid" player, when I'm around the clubs you see them watching games. A lot of rugby that's not first team isn't priority and the players don't fancy it so just stop playing, that's not good for the game in general. I can't comment on what it's like in Yorkshire but it's like that in D&N.

davie

• One of the boys
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 03:33:09 PM
So you’re saying players are getting paid in D&N after all?

Gav Iscon

• One of the boys
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 11:04:26 PM
Losing aside and whilst it has been mentioned before, £7 today to get in to Morley is daylight robbery imo and to top it all I returned home to find my missus has bought me some Aldi Taurus cider. Could my day get any worse.  >:( >:(