Author Topic: Travel costs and the RFU  (Read 636 times)

Offline kronos47

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
Travel costs and the RFU
« on: November 02, 2018, 11:54:22 PM »
So we Sheffield 2s are playing in the Yorkshire Merit Premiership and are also in the Northern pilot league ( not doing particularly well).

My point is that we as other teams in the same situation have to travel a fair bit with a recent trip to Wharfedale and Saturday to Billingham.
Both trips require a coach journey in my opinion.
The thing is where is the support for clubs like ours and others in terms of transportation?
Why are we expected to fund all this?

Secondly our club last year played in Nat 2 (this year in Nat 3). The RFU classes Nat 2 and above to be professional with no foreign players really allowed, with more costs associated with hosting games and literally no financial support from the RFU as they want young British players to be developed at this level, go on to better things and possibly benefit the National team.

The RFU are in no way supporting the clubs that develop these players and expect clubs to provide the environments, coaching, facilities and transport for free.

I love the game but don’t see how it works without financial support and mentoring from the RFU.

Comments please.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Offline Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
Re: Travel costs and the RFU
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 12:14:50 AM »
You are expected to pay this as you have chosen to spend a considerable amount on a playing budget that gets you to play at this level. If you don't pay then you will be playing in local Yorkshire leagues.

As for your 2nd team, yes it is tough but this should have been taken into account in your playing budget helping facilitate your dream of playing higher leagues.

Offline kronos47

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »
That’s a perfectly fine supposition but it doesn’t answer my enlarged question of where is the financial support behind compelling teams to travel extensively at their own expense.

The same applies to Selby or Doncaster Phoenix where your son plays/played.

The point is in a competitive world dont make it harder for people to be involved in playing rugby.

Reasonable?
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Offline Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:56:36 PM »
Very.

Offline old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:12:05 PM »
The RFU used to pay some if the round trip travel was over 150 miles. It was on a escalating scale with more money for each extra 50 miles. Think it was £330 at 150 miles going up by £80-100 for every additional 50 miles, reaching about £1000 by the time return journey was around the 400 mile area.

Not sure if this still applies or if it does if it covers 2nd team but would certainly contribute a chunk toward coach travel.

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 11:28:43 PM »
That’s a perfectly fine supposition but it doesn’t answer my enlarged question of where is the financial support behind compelling teams to travel extensively at their own expense.

The same applies to Selby or Doncaster Phoenix where your son plays/played.

The point is in a competitive world dont make it harder for people to be involved in playing rugby.

Reasonable?
Participation in the leagues, whatever heading they come under, is optional is it not?

Surely, if the 'numbers' don't stack up, don't participate..... A pov that is no doubt a cause of concern for the RFU competitions committee at the moment
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Ribbflagman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »
The travel assistance is still in place. We at Ribb are grateful for it as we have several long journeys every season. We always have a bus and it is budgeted for, unless the lads say otherwise. Supporters are welcome to travel with the team and travel FOC. As for second teams it is a fair point K47 but imo if the RFU were to extend their travel generosity to second teams. Some clubs would abuse this and perhaps try to coerce more players from lower clubs to play for them, therefore funnelling players into fewer clubs that over the long term would not be good for community clubs who are struggling for numbers at the moment, with a few exceptions. Only my opinion.
Good thread.

Offline kronos47

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:58:04 AM »
So we Sheffield 2s are playing in the Yorkshire Merit Premiership and are also in the Northern pilot league ( not doing particularly well).

My point is that we as other teams in the same situation have to travel a fair bit with a recent trip to Wharfedale and Saturday to Billingham.
Both trips require a coach journey in my opinion.
The thing is where is the support for clubs like ours and others in terms of transportation?
Why are we expected to fund all this?

Secondly our club last year played in Nat 2 (this year in Nat 3). The RFU classes Nat 2 and above to be professional with no foreign players really allowed, with more costs associated with hosting games and literally no financial support from the RFU as they want young British players to be developed at this level, go on to better things and possibly benefit the National team.

The RFU are in no way supporting the clubs that develop these players and expect clubs to provide the environments, coaching, facilities and transport for free.

I love the game but don’t see how it works without financial support and mentoring from the RFU.

Comments please.

I suppose my point is the RFU asks for a lot and does not assist in any way.
Sail Bys assumption is that we spend our clubs income on the first team to facilitate a false positive.
That may or may not be the case. Clubs like Selby and ours produce the kids who go on to play professional rugby the average age of our 2nd team has come down and down, they are less able to afford a car and are mostly in higher education and don’t have £50 to pay for Diesel etc.
If the RFU wants to run competitions it must understand that participation is a choice and that choice is made easier by assisting with transportation costs.

My other point is that professional rugby teams in the premiership receive a budget of circa £7M. In the Championship it’s £800K and at 1st division level it’s £180K ( these numbers are all guesstimates). At L4 it’s nothing yet the RFU classes the level as professional.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Offline Ribbflagman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 11:51:38 PM »
Then I suppose you should only take on fixtures that you are happy with. With the greatest respect about 6 years ago when Sheffield were in the Y1 wasteland they didnt even turn up for end of season (dead rubber) league game at Ribb, despite the game being sponsored etc. We were promised £300 from Abbeydale, to pay for the lost sponsorship, but the communication lines went dead and we never got even a phone call, let alone the promised £300, for not fulfilling a league fixture. No sour grapes, as I think you had a tour organised (apparently) but it shows how things and perceptions change as clubs rise through the leagues and, maybe , expect Twickers to support a clubs ambitions. Surely a city the size of Sheffield can get enough support from local businesses to sustain a national league side. Our long term adversaries Wharfedale manage it in a village of 700 people, Not 800,000.
Thoughts Please.

Offline Shirt filler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 01:03:28 AM »
Personally I think the RFU thinks less and less of teams below the premiership. This season the welsh sides pulled out of the anglo-welsh cup and the premiership cup was formed. The RFU had an opportunity to go back to a national cup similar to the FA cup or RL Challenge cup and help get some more funding into the championship and national leagues, instead they chose to do a cup that resembles a 2nd team cup.

Offline BishBashBosh

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »
In the first year of the NPL there was some travel funding given to clubs - not sure it still happens though.
Also I think you are invited to play in the league, so if it's not cost efficient it can also be turned down.