$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Brexit

Brexit

This is a discussion for the topic Brexit on the board Registration/Contact Information AND Miscellaneous Chat.

Poll

What is your preferred option NOW.

The current government proposed deal with EU
Leaving with no deal and relying on WTO terms?
Attempted renegotiation to improve deal?
Stay in on current terms somehow or other?

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 9967 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: December 05, 2018, 08:43:42 PM
Please vote above.

I would be very keen to see what people think about this. Hopefully it will attract some input as I have a genuine interest. I will vote later on.

If I have missed any options please shout out and I'll add. I didn't include 2nd referendum because that is simply a method of determination rather than a declaration of preference.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:23:45 PM by backrowbandit »
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

avinastella

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:46:26 PM
Get rid of that silly bitch treason may.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

nazir4

• Forum old hand
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 07:36:50 AM
You could have a survey asking if you prefer pineapple or a fried egg with your gammon...

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 08:02:26 AM
To me it seems that we have negotiated this from a position of complete weakness. We needed to be prepared to walk away from the table and it looks like we weren't.

I think it is shameful all the lies that were told at the time and that a monumental decision like this can be allowed to happen on that basis. Especially when people didn't know what they were voting for. I remember the morning after the result people being interviewed in the airport complaining about the euro rate and then hearing they'd voted out.

I also think that it could be the beginning of the end of Northern Ireland as part of the UK.

I think it shows how gullible we are as a society.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:19:05 AM
I don't care what sort of Brexit happens, provided there is a Brexit. The whole thing has been shambolically handled, with personal agendas taking priority over national interests.

A referendum is different to an election. It is, arguably, the only true reflection of what a nation as a whole thinks. In an election, people revert to traditional party allegiances, as the SNP tub thumpers found out very quickly. An election is less democratic than a referendum.

We had a referendum. A majority voted to leave. We must leave. Anything else risks producing a generation or more thinking "why should I bother voting any more". That's the bigger picture, which I suspect lies behind Comrade Corbyn's lack of any significant action.

I blame Cameron anyway.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

avinastella

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:03:41 AM
What lies?
If people voted on the strength of a sound bite or shock/scare tactic headline then I find that a bigger worry when so much is at stake.

For remainders to now argue by saying people didn't know what they were voting for is silly and shows how little they care for the will of the people through a fair and democratic vote.

If Parliament try and deny brexit/leave then I suspect many - on all sides - will be finding out where to sign on at the job centre whilst leaving others to sort out the mess they leave behind.
How soon they forget the troubles and riots that have occurred in recent times.
They also need to remember. The world doesn't end at the M25. Having spent this week in London I believe some need reminding.

leg

• Legend
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 12:51:43 PM
To me it seems that we have negotiated this from a position of complete weakness. We needed to be prepared to walk away from the table and it looks like we weren't.

I think it is shameful all the lies that were told at the time and that a monumental decision like this can be allowed to happen on that basis. Especially when people didn't know what they were voting for. I remember the morning after the result people being interviewed in the airport complaining about the euro rate and then hearing they'd voted out.

I also think that it could be the beginning of the end of Northern Ireland as part of the UK.

I think it shows how gullible we are as a society.

That'll end up well!  :o

Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 02:42:55 PM

And who would you prefer instead Corbyn?

Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 02:57:44 PM
We have negotiated from a position  of weakness  because of a small number of hardline brexiters who wanted to leave with no deal holding May to ransom  Labour Party have been playing party politics all way through. What Labour appear to want is not far away from what's been offered now. This is above party politics all party's should have got together and decided what we wanted then we would have been on the front foot . As for Northern Ireland one side wants black the other white good luck trying to please either. It's like what's been offered with the current deal the country was even evenly  split in or out. To unite the country a compromise is needed somewhere in the middle problem is it pleases nobody.

avinastella

Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 03:43:18 PM

Bit of a leap to make that assumption.

Lock2509

• One of the boys
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 05:38:15 PM
Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.
Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.
Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.
Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.
British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.
Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.
M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.
Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.
Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.
Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.
Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.
Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.
Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.
ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs
Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.
JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.
Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.
Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.
The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.
Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU
The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.
I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't. If you think the EU is a good idea,
1/ You haven't read the party manifesto of The European Peoples' Party.
2/ You haven't had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.
3/ You don't think it matters.

Now back to Rugby....

Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 06:20:21 PM

A simple no would have done or an alternative

Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 06:28:32 PM
Devide add HP sauce Birmingham closed (now made in Holland I think). Terry's chocolate orange the list goes on we have been asset stripped . If it costs more to import we can make our own again creating jobs

avinastella

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 06:38:56 PM

Why?

Used To Be Fast Once

• Forum old hand
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 06:58:08 PM

Why?
[/quot

I thought you had an alternative