$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; SELBY 3’s 22 Ilkley 3’s 42

SELBY 3’s 22 Ilkley 3’s 42

This is a discussion for the topic SELBY 3’s 22 Ilkley 3’s 42 on the board Merit Leagues.

Author Topic: SELBY 3’s 22 Ilkley 3’s 42  (Read 8637 times)

Rob13

• Forum old hand
on: December 16, 2018, 10:40:33 AM
Took a bus over to Selby for the Christmas jaunt nearly didn’t make it due to the traffic.Pitch was in great condition as well considering so many call offs.

Some good rugby played by both sides with Ilkley leading 42-10 into the the second half.Selby got back into it credit to them.

Was disappointed by our treatment by Selby in the club house afterwards they issued us 20 meal tickets and refused to give us more as we had 26 players/supporters.Apparently no 3rd team has those numbers and if we wanted more we would have to pay....never heard anything like it.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:32:54 PM by Rob13 »

The Vole

• A little respect please...
    • Conference Call
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:52:27 AM
If you'd have bothered to fulfil your 2nd team fixture at Phoenix then maybe everyone would've got a meal ticket.

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:02:10 PM
The 2's have an injury list a mile long. The players on Saturday with the exception of one who plays on and off for us and the 2's were all 3's players.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:30:49 PM by Rob13 »

Muted Response

• Calm on the surface, but paddling like crazy below
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 03:08:46 PM
If you'd have bothered to fulfil your 2nd team fixture at Phoenix then maybe everyone would've got a meal ticket.
Hahahahahaaaaa LIKE IT!!     26 3rd teamers and no 2nd teamer . . . . .  :o 

ye olde 9

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 10:21:41 AM
As club selections changed. I thought if you had injuries in the twos the thirds moved up? Etc etc injuries used to be a path way for lower team players to progress. Are clubs now ring fencing teams? I have seen it couple of times this year with clubs drafting players who haven't played for a while, back from uni etc in before the 2nd team stalwarts get given a chance. I must have an old fashioned policy, 1s bench to 1s, 2s to 1s bench or starting, if dropped from 1s bench week previous full 80 mins given in 2s etc. Also no bench player doesn't get on, if not good enough to play, a smaller bench is taken. Also MOM of previous week automatically gets promoted into squad above as reward (not all want it but it is offered). Hey ho, and people pontificate about dwindling numbers, lancashire or no selection policies and consistencies may be a reason.

ye olde 9

Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 10:24:13 AM
Plus if they cry off with injuries but know their shirt is still theirs on return, the modern day funny player will never man up.

avinastella

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 10:56:31 AM
As club selections changed. I thought if you had injuries in the twos the thirds moved up?

You mean this bit?

n) When a club has more than one team participating in the competition, if a cancellation should occur due to lack of players, the cancellation must commence with the lowest team save where such team has previously been accepted by the Organiser as being unable to provide players to play at a higher level.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 12:55:24 PM
Unfortunately our 2's compete at a level that the majority of our 3's aren't capable of playing at, the previous week we actually called off so that our 2's could get their game played bolstered by some of our 3's. The step up was there to see (not that we disgraced ourselves trying to get the fixture fulfilled).

This policy of players have to step up doesn't always work against some of these sides that to be frank are impressive.

We'd had the bus booked for months so we had plenty of numbers seen as it was our Christmas night out. Just a shame as we were going to stick around and put some money behind the bar but that unfortunately didn't happen.

Last season was a car crash for us as we were in a league where we were hammered every week, we have gone down and rebuilt the side of which I am proud to say has plenty of numbers enjoying rugby again. If people want to throw it around about us being bolstered by two's go for it you are wrong.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 12:59:16 PM by Rob13 »

caravan boys

• One of the boys
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 01:05:29 PM
I have seen the reverse happen as well.
A prime example of clubs not playing the game is the Airewharfe cup when teams should be playing the appropriate level . Then when a cup is up for grabs 1st and 2nd team players all of a sudden play for the 3rd teams at the expense of the players who have played in the team all year.
Seen it year on year !

The Vole

• Conference Call
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 01:30:31 PM
Unfortunately our 2's compete at a level that the majority of our 3's aren't capable of playing at, the previous week we actually called off so that our 2's could get their game played bolstered by some of our 3's. The step up was there to see (not that we disgraced ourselves trying to get the fixture fulfilled).

This policy of players have to step up doesn't always work against some of these sides that to be frank are impressive.

We'd had the bus booked for months so we had plenty of numbers seen as it was our Christmas night out. Just a shame as we were going to stick around and put some money behind the bar but that unfortunately didn't happen.

Last season was a car crash for us as we were in a league where we were hammered every week, we have gone down and rebuilt the side of which I am proud to say has plenty of numbers enjoying rugby again. If people want to throw it around about us being bolstered by two's go for it you are wrong.

I know it is difficult with availability at the minute, Phoenix are feeling that as much as anyone and have had to pull our 3rd team fixtures this year as we just don't have enough players, with the 3rd team lads who do want to play stepping up and playing for our seconds.

It is just a shame when you boast about having 26 players available that you couldn't field two teams, which meant that 20 lads at Phoenix didn't get a game on Saturday - I've played in several games this season when players have agreed to play for the opposition just to make sure everyone gets a game of rugby and doesn't have to spend a Saturday in the middle of December Christmas shopping  :'(

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 01:41:46 PM
I assure you I am not boasting.

It is difficult and it certainly seems to be getting worse with availability some weeks we scrape 15 then others we have an abundance.We can’t force people to step up I’ve personally begged lads to step up to be rebuked.What more can you do?

utilityback91

• Finding my feet
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 02:52:35 PM
Calling up the 3s in theory is how it should be but it is not that simple. A lot of 3s players at our club anyway are purely social and are there purely for the enjoyment which playing at the 2s standard they do not enjoy and just don't want to play it.

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 02:55:28 PM
Calling up the 3s in theory is how it should be but it is not that simple. A lot of 3s players at our club anyway are purely social and are there purely for the enjoyment which playing at the 2s standard they do not enjoy and just don't want to play it.

Exaclty the scenario we have found ourselves in.

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 06:35:08 PM
 Used to be so much easier when we had the now very rare across club fixtures typically. Personally I'm a supporter of the merit structures aims but one big downside is it has all but eliminated across club fixtures.

caravan boys

• One of the boys
Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 08:32:58 AM
Bramleys 2nds game at home earlier in the season against ilkley 3rds was cancelled . Ilkley couldn't raise a side .
Funnily enough the return fixture at Ilkley 3ds they could raise a side and we got a thumping.
Oh did I mention ilkley 2nds didn't have a fixture !
Doesn't seem an even playing surface to me