$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; 2018 round up and Merry Christmas

2018 round up and Merry Christmas

This is a discussion for the topic 2018 round up and Merry Christmas on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: 2018 round up and Merry Christmas  (Read 4401 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: December 23, 2018, 08:35:30 AM
Firstly Merry Christmas to all forum members and especially those who post regularly. Your contributions continue to ensure that YR.net remains the largest and most vibrant independent rugby forum in England. We have an incredible wide range of members from very senior RFU officials all the way down to the very bottom like builders mate (????????????, let's see if he's got a sense of humour). This is the 'must-go' to medium for all the latest information, background chat and revelations...let's keep it up for another year.

As for N1E... Morpeth finished the year yesterday with a fine win away at Driffield.

Regarding the league table I don't think there will be many people who would have expected at Christmas to have Scarborough sat at the top and Brid and West Leeds in relegation positions. However enjoyable as it is to sit at the top it will be undeniably hard to stay there. Scarborough have the hardest of starts after Christmas beginning with an away trip to resurgent Cleckheaton who, reading their last match report, seem to have signed a number of players from neighbouring clubs. Their win away against B&B shows that they will be a force. However B&B will still get stronger, whilst YM and Morpeth continue to push. I have no confidence what's so ever that the top two places will definitely come from the current top four. The league is so tight it is only going to take a team to hit a bad patch to drop a number of places in the league. York will recover and have a charge as their injuries return.

As for the bottom, it's unlikely that Consent will survive although they will win more games at home. West Leeds have an almighty fight on their hands to stay up and having lost a few players might benefit from regrouping in Y1. Brid will have to be much better than they were at Silver Royd if they are not going to avoid the drop. Their discipline is very poor and Tbh, they were probably the weakest team (on the day )that we have played. However I don't think Brid will go down, besides we want them beating some of the top teams not giving up and dropping a division.

There is then four or five (or more) teams above the drop who could easily be dragged into a relegation fight or alternatively motor on up the league.

Of the 5 promotion/relegation places the only one I will predict with a degree of certainty is (sadly) Consent will go down.

Heres to an exciting, intriguing and competitive 2019 with lots of good rugby and even more good chat!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 08:38:19 AM by backrowbandit »
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Oldandslow

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 12:11:18 PM
If you look at previous seasons since 2010-11 only one team has lost more than 6 games and been in the top two and that was Percy Park back in 2011-12 when they were second in the table and last 7 and also had 1 draw. So unless something dramatic happens think the top two will come from Scarborough, YMCA and Morpeth.

At the bottom I do fear the worst for Consett and West Leeds. The third spot could be any club from Morley downwards. Reminds me of 2010-11 when Pontefract went down third bottom with 10 wins and 51 points. That season with two rounds to go a least four clubs were still not safe. Do worry it might be Brid as there points for and against not good.

TheChainsaw

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 02:27:12 PM
The "number of players" Cleck have signed is a whopping 2

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 03:12:47 PM
Can make a big difference if they are a good 2 players...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:54:31 PM by backrowbandit »

TheChainsaw

• Finding my feet
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 04:37:55 PM
2 excellent and very welcome signings. Both EQP too!

NorthEast1_fan

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 11:52:51 AM
Morpeth welcomed back their top try-scorer from last year for the win at Driffield on Saturday. A timely boost for the team up North for the second half of the season!

I agree that the top two teams will come from top three. Scarbs and YM still have to travel to Morpeth which will no doubt be decisive fixtures. A case of who can keep a strong squad together until the end of the season? Scarb seem to be front runners for that with buying power but time will tell! Anyone can beat everyone in this league so a long way to go!

As for bottom, Consett plus one of WL and Brid from what I've seen this year.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 11:57:12 AM
It's 3 go down.

NorthEast1_fan

• Finding my feet
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 12:42:28 PM
Then those three it is for me!

It's 3 go down.

Welshwonder

• Finding my feet
Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 08:25:43 PM
Not wanting to state the obvious but all this speculation about promotion and relegation just past the mid point of the season is crazy, the league is decided at the end of April. I agree that there are teams that appear to be in trouble and cut adrift in 13th and 14th positions at present,but look at the teams currently occupying 5th down to 12th place just 10 points between them. The top 3 are separated by just 5 points. Have another look at the end of February  when there will be 5 or 6 games left to play, Just a thought that's all, rant over!

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 08:27:38 PM
It would be a boring forum without wild speculation and debate!