$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Harrogate - lessons from history.

Author Topic: Harrogate - lessons from history.  (Read 942 times)

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
Harrogate - lessons from history.
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:30:48 AM »
Whilst I accept this is very old news..it still makes fascinating reading. It's almost a textbook example of utter incompetence in the management and governance of a sports club. However when you cut past all the in's and out's of the property company...the root of the problem was "debts built up over a number of years".

If you can be bothered it's worth a read....

https://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2011/05/17/council-urge-crest-homes-to-accept-rugby-club-offer-for-grounds/
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline Sycamore

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Harrogate - lessons from history.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
Should see the new place the pitches are a bog.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »
To be fair it takes 5 years + for pitches to settle down. However that doesn't alter the fact they have had a massive fall from grace and will never recover. Completely and entirely self inflicted.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline intense1

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 07:27:10 PM »
A great club with some great people, a lot of the other stuff is far over my head with regards to debts and that but look back on my 2 seasons there with good memories! To my knowledge they've always been around Nat2 / Nat 3? Nothing much has changed in that department. Not sure about needing to make a recovery. The most damaging event was losing Aspy the head coach, Cal Irvine at 10, Lew Minikin at 13 and Sam Bottomley all at the end of one season.

They've moved through that and are a good Nat 3 side from the looks of things! Hope to play against some old friends in a couple of seasons haha!