$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; The bigger picture

Author Topic: The bigger picture  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Re: The bigger picture
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2019, 11:20:50 AM »
Board member of club who have successful and sustainably developed their facilities offers free sage advice to all, and no, clubs in particular; gets lambasted for having cultivated a mutually beneficial sponsorship deal to help this process.

It’s attitudes like, that to free help and advice from others, that hold people, clubs and companies back in life. Bizarre response.

Dear god that was a difficult read. On the 15th comma I had a small seizure!

Offline Billy36

• Finding my feet
  • Breathing Cotswold fire over Yorkshire's fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »
‘Tis better to Oxford comma, than be a perpetual misery, my dear mammary man.

Offline cynic

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2019, 11:37:12 AM »
Winning rugby and climbing the leagues will lead to bigger crowds, more sponsors and a vibrant clubhouse. The extra revenue will then lead to future improvement of facilities.

Virtually every team in Y1 is paying serious money out, Moortown are just spending it better than everyone else.

Ps

I’m not from Moortown, but respect their vision and what they are doing.

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2019, 11:42:19 AM »
Winning rugby and climbing the leagues will lead to bigger crowds, more sponsors and a vibrant clubhouse. The extra revenue will then lead to future improvement of facilities.

Virtually every team in Y1 is paying serious money out, Moortown are just spending it better than everyone else.

Ps

I’m not from Moortown, but respect their vision and what they are doing.

Yet more unfounded nonsense, you’re quite good at it though I’l give you that.

Offline Master_Knowledge

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
Moortown's facilities are comparable to Heath's. If anything their pitch is better.

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
Moortown's facilities are comparable to Heath's. If anything their pitch is better.

Our facilities are without a doubt vastly improved from say years ago and something we are always striving to improve further. We are happy with progress made year on year, progress on the pitch is probably more than expected.

I’ve been to pretty much every away venue in Y1 and can safely say there are clubs in a far worse position. Although I’ve never swung a cat in the clubhouse I do anticipate it could be achieved with ease.

Offline cynic

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 11:56:51 AM »
You can’t even accept praise Memory Man.

You are beyond help.

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2019, 12:20:47 PM »

You are beyond help.

Obsessed with the notion Moortown are reaping the rewards of money well spent. It’s complete nonsense and a backhanded compliment. Il accept praise as and when it’s a true reflection of what is occurring.

Offline ye olde 9

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »
Does it really matter about the state of the walls etc, if its clean, hot water and pitch half decent? Harrogate played at worse for years, Wharfedale now etc. The key is DNA and the values surely.

Offline Marauder

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2019, 03:02:03 PM »
Hopefully the link works, but a fair reflection of the game Moortown v Heath on Saturday

http://westyorksrugbyunion.com/match-reports/moortown-go-nine-points-clear-with-heath-victory/

Offline Pristine Shorts

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 05:36:56 PM »
Back on topic, I hope. I have fond memories of playing at Moortown, scoring a hat-trick against their seconds in ....ohhhhhh..... 1980. Ah well.

Ilkley made the decision to spend on facilities rather than players ten years ago and we now think we have a superb facility for up and coming players who play in, say, Y1 or even NE1. We still lose really excellent players to Otley and elsewhere, but that was always the case and personally, I don’t have a problem with that.

The main point, as ever, is what is the point of paying players below the Championship ? Yorkshire One is a great league, as they all are really. Playing in the North Premier is great too, but there is a lot of travelling to do - imagine Alnwick to Wirral !  - so that’s another consideration.

I think that if Moortown really do have ambitions to play a league or two higher, then the facilities have to come too, a la Scarborough.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:05:46 PM by Pristine Shorts »

Offline cynic

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2019, 05:42:19 PM »

You are beyond help.

Obsessed with the notion Moortown are reaping the rewards of money well spent. It’s complete nonsense and a backhanded compliment. Il accept praise as and when it’s a true reflection of what is occurring.
[Dumb or naive which are you choosing?]

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2019, 05:55:11 PM »

You are beyond help.

[Dumb or naive which are you choosing?]

Il go for “in the know”

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »

I'm afraid you are completely wrong regarding crowds...well they might grow but only marginally and from a very low base. Look at national 1 crowds and Scarborough have bigger attendances than nearly all of them.

Let's use Moortown as an example. When we played there last year I suspect the local support was probably no more than 50 odd. Even if that increases 10 fold (which it won't) and they can charge £10 (which they won't) less VAT then over 13 home game adds up to not a lot. Especially when you knock off concessions like OAP and juniors.

The economics of RU in relation to crowds don't even work at premiership level, so you're dreaming if you think it does for Moortown. Sorry
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level. Lucky to be involved in England's number one ranked level 7 league...Yorkshire One.

Offline intense1

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2019, 07:12:41 PM »
With regard to the 'bigger picture' the two methods to improvement has been explored in depth. I guess, putting loads of money into facilities is great to a point, they look good and are good to train in etc, however if you are still at a 'lower level' you will struggle to recruit a better standard of player. I remember being at LMD and I'd get 'you've got great facilities but you're still only Y2 and bottom'- we were proud to play at that level but you get the idea.

I guess lots of people move clubs for lots of reasons, some may because of the social, some because of the facilities, some for the promise of better rugby than they had previous and some for the £££, whichever reason that is there needs to be something that holds them all together otherwise its a bunch or mercenaries in the first team and that doesn't filter down to other teams nor its grass roots, or its lifeless brand new clubhouse that gets barely any use!

I do however think once a club develops success the crowd (relatively), facilities and player pool improves. You try to better your facilities to match the standard you play, as you are a better standard players that previously were settled elsewhere may fancy a crack at the next level, or players new to the area come to the 'best' club in that area. All making for more money into the club, that breeds better coaching, better colts that mature into the next seniors.