$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; The run in...another bold prediction.

The run in...another bold prediction.

This is a discussion for the topic The run in...another bold prediction. on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: The run in...another bold prediction.  (Read 2216 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: January 13, 2019, 07:29:34 AM
I predict that Morpeth will win the league.... And no this isn't some clever gamesmanship, I'm going to back up my claim.

Firstly I am going to discount injuries from my thoughts, simply because no team knows what's going to happen week to week on that score. We are currently struggling with that ourselves and had a disrupted pack yesterday.

So why Morpeth? Well I think their big win away at B&B probably handed them the title yesterday..I wasn't expecting that at all.

The main reason is their home form and the run-in they have.

They have played 9 away games and only 7 home games.

Their remaining away matches are:
Cleck
West Leeds
Pock
Consett

I don't see a loss there and they are unbeaten at home.

If you compare that with Scarborough's away matches:
Morpeth
York
Driffield
Morley
Malton

....you'll see why I think Morpeth are in the driving seat.

Obviously next Saturday now has greater significance but a Morpeth victory will hand them the title.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Billy36

• Finding my feet
  • Breathing Cotswold fire over Yorkshire's fields
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 08:09:39 AM
Didn’t Scarborough unexpectedly beat Bradford and Bingley away at the start of the season? Surely your even-Steven’s on that front?

Form is a temporary and cruel mistress. Just listing fixtures on paper is meaningless, and definitely gamesmanship...ish at best.

However, Scarbs beat second yesterday and Morpeth bested 4th to leap frog YM from third. I don’t think next week’s fixture could have come at a more mouthwatering and lip smacking time for rugby in NE1. Well done to those serendipitous fixture secs!

Johnosjstrap

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:16:18 AM
Hmm, with even the best intentions there appears to be some gamesmanship here.
There are no easy games,  and nobody would think trips to Pock, Cleck, Leeds and Consett are easy! All teams can beat each other and Scarborough and YM still both play at Morpeth.
There will be lots of twists and turns from now on and plenty of surprises. Everyone suffers injury, and unavailability, we were missing a few yesterday, and who's to say how that will impact?
I'm just ooking forward to a good run in with plenty of good rugby.
Up in NE61 there's no pressure or expectation .......perhaps not the case elsewhere.

Toot toot.

Dark Arts Advocate

• A little respect please...
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 12:43:43 PM
BRB you do have a point about your away games.

I do think you will fall short at Morpeth and Driffield have already stuffed you at your place this season!

But I also think that Malton, Pocklington and York will also be desperate to derail Scarbars!

Reap what one's sows, springs to mind.

That said after this weekends results it shows that anyone is capable of beating anyone, on any given day. 

Still think its Scarborough's to lose, its in their hands!

So is it going to be, Scarborough Rock or Candyfloss?

Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”