$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Scores 26/09

Scores 26/09

This is a discussion for the topic Scores 26/09 on the board Yorkshire 2 .

Author Topic: Scores 26/09  (Read 5509 times)

Dan Nulty

• Legend
on: January 26, 2019, 07:48:26 PM
Wow, can't believe how quiet it is!?!????

Good performance today by Grovians at Hills. They started really well then we had the edge and pace in the backs to win well. Hills got a couple more scores using their strong runners.

Not having to make more than one or two changes each week really allows you to have some continuity. Huge game for us next week against Hegians in what is traditionally a tough fixture, think we have won once in our seven meetings. Really tight in bottom half of the table now.

God luck to Hills for rest of the season.

Gasman finally got on the score sheet today as well, things must be looking up!

Rugbae

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:06:41 PM
Weth won 34-22. Some beautiful rugby to come from behind. Highlight of the day, Barnsley's 10 spitting his dummy out

Maroon

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 10:24:57 AM
Wheatley Hills are in a relegation fight and with the teams around then improving and gaining some significant wins it looks like they need a win asap there home form is very poor

Wheatley have been relegated 2 years running and are in danger of  3rd successive relegation , Players now need to stand up and secure Yorkshire 2 status

Well done Grovians 2 great wins over the last 2 weeks

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 04:58:03 PM
Maroon

Whats the rub then mate where does the problem lay??

Maroon

• Finding my feet
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 05:35:43 PM
Wheatley are a young side but most of their 1st team have been playing league rugby for the last few years, The last 2 seasons have been very difficult as the squad was not good enough to compete at the level they were playing at and getting beat every week became a very difficult habit to break

This season i thought that a top 6 finish maybe possible but we do not seem to be able to stay in games long enough to get the results we need , Our home form is a big worry and we certainly need to stop the rot soon or we could be looking at a stint in Y3 next season

We need to develop a 15 man game and over the last few years we have become obsessed  about how strong a scrum we have  and that will be enough to win us games, clearly this is not working and combined with poor discipline we are now in a big battle over the coming few months to stay in Y2

On a positive note we now have a regular 2nd team and they are playing every week and are getting some good results but i am not sure how many of these lads are ready for 1st team rugby

The club has fantastic facilities and the youth and Ladies teams are continuing to be very successful with good numbers and a great pride in the club they represent.

The  1st team nust  now  turn moments of promise and improving performances into wins and league points

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 06:10:58 PM
I agree with comments about a strong scrum winning games at this level.  It’s obviously an asset but its hugely different from rugby you see on tv in that referees have so much pressure to protect players who to their knowledge may not be great in that position. For this reason you rarely get the penalties and benefits you get at top level with refs preferring to see a safe scrum and happier to get ball out, sometimes ignoring that one side was destroying the other in favour of a safe restart even if by letter of the law the team under pressure may have conceded a pen. 99% of the time at higher levels, if a team is going forward, they get a penalty. 

The set up rules have changed too over years to support this approach.

I think it’s correct by the way. In our league you can get a massive disparity in ability and competency in FR and ultimately when a serious neck or back injury is possible, it’s common sense.

A huge scrum at amateur level is comparitavely less of an asset compared to higher up leagues.

Locked Out

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Life is serious enough...
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 08:07:01 AM
Yarnbury 19 - 10 Ripon: A game in which Ripon had more of a grip than in the past couple of weeks, but not quite enough. The AGP didn't influence the game too much, but might have been responsible for the appalling penalty count (both sides) at the tackle? Also, the home 12 did some heavy damage with his strong running. Looking forward to a stress free week!

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:58:18 PM
http://oorufc.x10host.com/2019.01.26%20Leos.html

Good to see a regular match report at Ensians, I enjoyed reading it and much better than we manage to produce.  On reading though, I can't work it out, perhsp someone can help?  Did it seem like the author thought there should have been a penalty try to Ensians at some point? 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:00:52 PM by Thread Killer »

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 11:50:07 AM
Another thread successfully killed.

Quality 2

• Finding my feet
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 08:45:27 AM
Tk

Although your guys deservedly won & your defence really well organised, Leo’s conceded 4-5 yellow cards, 2 in the red zone including one for what I saw as a deliberate one handed knock on 5yds out with Ensians overlap & bingo, there’s your PT!

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 01:11:31 PM
I didn’t argue there shouldn’t have been a penalty try.  Just thought the point was overly made in the report meant as merry jibe.

I would strongly argue with one yellow card decision though that was actually in your 22nd and less contentious. Our player went down with a pulled hamstring. He was face down and your players leg touched his. He was not even looking, moreover the ensigns players on pitch didn’t appeal for foul play. Yet our guy limped off with a yellow not knowing what he’d done wrong. For the record I don’t think the other yellows were as clear cut tries hence no PT. I think there was some balancing up in 2nd half that we played nearly not ever with 15 and at one point with 12.  As ever these things are subjective.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:16:25 PM by Thread Killer »

Quality 2

• Finding my feet
Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 06:04:10 PM
Didn’t think the ref was balancing up, merely, as he appeared to being assessed, implementing the laws?
Agree with your assessment of the tripping incident though. Nothing needed to be done there apart for the application of logic