$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Todays results 26/1/19

Author Topic: Todays results 26/1/19  (Read 2552 times)

Offline omigidiant

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Todays results 26/1/19
« on: January 26, 2019, 09:58:09 PM »
Good game at Brods today with probably Brods best crowd of the season. Crocs playing up the slope in the first half looked the better side for most of the half yet went into the break down 10-9 after Brods scored a try just before half-time. With the slope in their favour Crocs looked like they would dominate but the Brods had other ideas and a with a strong defence they slowly pinned the Crocs back up the hill scoring two tries to Crocs one and came out deserved winners. The match didn't seem to have the usual derby intensity but never the less it was played very competitively and perhaps the game was much closer than the score suggests. One point of contention was the Crocs flaggy who was twice over-ruled by ref, first on a touch kick who's entry into touch he gave to Crocs advantage but was told by the ref to move it's entry a further couple of meters up the whitewash where the ball actual crossed the line. Then later a Crocs penalty kick went outside the post covered by the Crocs flaggy but which he gave as a goal, the ref and all those in line with the kick clearly saw the kicked missed and the ref righty changed the decision. Perhaps Crocs should provide a touch judge with a bit better eyesight. Never the less an entertaining afternoon.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline thecanman

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: Todays results 26/1/19
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:46:47 AM »
Most of your points are absolutely spot on, in fact all but one. Did you fail to see that the Brods linesman also put his flag up for the penalty goal you describe. The referree overruled them both. Speaking to the Brods linesman shortly after he thought it had gone over...it didnt affect the outcome of the game whatsoever although would have made the score 10-9. It was 10-6 at half time FYI I!!

Offline thecanman

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »
Old Brods 24-13 Old Crossleyans

Old Crocs took a relatively strong team to Brods with as a big a pack as we could muster and started strongly. Camped in the Brods 22 for a long period we eventually " scored", however the referree judged it to be "held up". Our player insisting , even after the game he got the ball down before any hands came in to "show the ref theyve held him up". On that point, Middlesbrough scored a clear try against us in exactly the same circumstances two weeks ago and again the referree decided to say he was held up. I think from seeing both incidents, referrees need to get into a better position when they anticipate a player tumbling over from close range.

Crocs main issue at the moment is the inability to capitalise on prime opportunities. We do most things right up until the time comes to take advantage. The ball will be shipped the wrong way when theres a "mismatch", someone will fail to offload when theres a clear two on one etc.

Old Brods on the other hand seemed to calmly control their phases of play and struck well when they needed to. They have a big pack and utilise the pick and go well. I can see why they are where they are in the league however as they do spill the ball up often. Good teams will take advantage of that. There was no ill discipline from Brods, seems they have curbed that out of their game from earlier reports on here. Brods deserved the win yesterday and look slightly improved from the game at Crocs earlier in the season.
Crocs simply have to win every game now until the end of season to have a chance of finishing second.

I know it shouldnt have to be mentioned however the referree i felt yesterday was a poor selection and his performance reflected that.

Speaking to the assessor before game he explained a London Society referree was controlling the game. The referree said to the assessor, "whats all the hype about this game, one is third in the league and one is eighth".
Im sorry but if you dont know what type of game you are going to be referreeing you are in for a difficult afternoon. Would a Yorkshire Society referree have  more understood the ramifications of this proud Halifax/Yorkshire derby and taken that into account??...i think so. Even so, a referree you may argue,  should have no pre judgments and be completely unaffected by the hype or type of game they are coming to ref. Big high tackle was seen by all except the referree who then at least 15 seconds later, being "microphoned up" called it back... Crocs players chasing a kick when all started within their own in goal area to be called back for offside.. small things and there were more but they all add up to make a "bigger issue". 
Nevertheless a good tough game of rugby played by both sides with no handbags whatsoever. Well done to Brods who seem to be on a roll now and should really finish top four. What a great advert for Halifax rugby if three of our teams finish in the top 4 of Yorkshire 1.

Offline avinastella

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »
What would you rather have?
A visiting ref who turns up for the game with no pre-conceived ideas and simply refs the game on what he sees.
Or
A ref who turns up and proceeds to get lectured by the assessor on what/who to watch for, tactics and all the beliefs the said assessor carries around with him before he even takes to the field.

With the former, you, as a team, have a chance to play your game how you think the ref is seeing it in front of him.

With the latter, you haven't a chance, poor sod in the middle has effectively had his card marked if he doesn't comply with the lecture he received before the game.

I suspect most of us would choose the first option.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »
Have to say I agree with Stella about this... the game may have local bagging rights, historical significance,  etc but the refs job has nothing to do with that. Are you saying a local ref would have made different decisions with it being a local derby ? just don't see the argument at all. The laws of the game are the same for every game, unless of course you happen to be reffing on a mountainside in the freezing cold windy Yorkshire Winter..... poor bugger ! 

Offline ponte animal

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:25:46 AM »
Would be a great advert for Halifax Canman, but in my humble opinion having seen every team this season, only Heath in top four at the end of the season. Brods and Crocs in sixth and seventh. We shall see.

Offline Maroon

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 06:04:45 PM »
Beverley on the rise and seem to be hitting form

The only side this year to date who have beaten Pontefract home and away

Top Four for me  1st -  Moortown  2nd - Pontefract -3rd Heath- 4th Beverley

Offline ponte animal

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:13:42 PM »
Agree with that except 2nd and 3rd the other way round.