$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Scores Week 20

Scores Week 20

This is a discussion for the topic Scores Week 20 on the board Yorkshire 2 .

Author Topic: Scores Week 20  (Read 7057 times)

Locked Out

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Life is serious enough...
on: February 17, 2019, 10:55:19 AM
A massive 23 - 11 win for Ripon over North Ribblesdale yesterday. A narrow half time lead for Ribb was blown away by a solid home performance. No change in league status, but a welcome return to winning ways.

ClbNrg

• Legend
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:51:42 PM
Yes the teams at the bottom of the table are stringing a few wins together.

We (ensians) got a win last week, as did Hegians and Ripon. We grab another win again this week and again so do the other two.

Give us a break lads  ;D

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:27:51 PM
Deserved win yesterday for a determined Ripon side against a very poor show from Ribb. We led 11 - 10 at the break  bur it went from bad to worse after that. A poor showing from our lads who are capable of much more. Lets hope we are in a better frame of mind for the cup game next week at Yawnbury.   

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 02:33:30 PM
Another win for 11 in a row for Leo’s away at top of league, Goole. One of our best periods of rugby in first half to make it 24 - 3 at the break.  Epic defence and some strong finishing making the difference. Goole came back strong in and had the majority of possession in second half.  They got over the line twice but each time we made them work hard for the scores and in the end they were never close to catching. 30-17 at full time. Frustrating to not get a bonus point and we took a conversion to go 2 tries plus a penalty in the clear rather than kick to corner. Shows respect to the opposition that we felt we needed to make to that choice.

Exchange ref from Liverpool had a good game. Many Goole supporters will disagree.  One of the most one sided touch lines I’ve ever witnessed.  Embarrassing to spend your Saturdays screaming at a referee.

Also sad to hear comments from goole players and spectators that Leo’s are only doing well because we are paying students apparently.  For the record we actually only had one student in the 18 man squad yesterday.  We did have two lads in the squad who were students last season and came through our recruitment plan and who are now in full time employment, have stayed in Leeds and pay their full memberships like everyone else. No one will ever be paid to play at Leo’s. 

We attract students by subsidising their memberships, organise transport so it’s easy to get to games and training, arrange for some stash so they are part of the club and those members who can afford it are encouraged to buy the students jugs of beer on Saturdays.  We also welcome them and create a culture they can enjoy and want to be a part of which is the real secret.

We had a second and third team with a healthy mix of experience and student youth playing at home and both recording strong wins. Interestingly our seconds who played harrogate pythons were accused of fielding half of our first team. Remarkable really when the actual first team had a top of the table clash at the same time.

Haters gonna hate.

old style prop

• anyone seen me tabs.
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 04:12:24 PM
Being accused of playing ringers in the second team when you have a 1st team game on the same day is a new one on me - you must be doing something right :)

Benchwarmer

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 08:53:58 AM
Thread Killer - You don’t mean to tell me that you’ve gone to an away game, to find that most of the touch line spectators are of the home team?????

The referee had an average game, made no bad decisions. However, allowed Leo’s to slow the ball down which worked against how Goole like to play, some of it was down to experience, but some was illegal. It also took best part of an hour until the referee showed a card despite countless penalties.

But the game wasn’t won nor lost by the referee, Leo’s took an early lead with 2 quick tries, one of which was a wild looping pass by a prop which was intercepted and ran home from their own 22’, when Goole looked almost certain to come away from the attack with a try. Another good try and a penalty for Leo’s in the first half set up a very difficult second half for Goole.

Relentless defence by Leo’s proved why they had been keeping opposition to nil most weeks, outstanding and well organised. There was even two or three times in the second half where Goole knocked on 5 metres short of the line, and even more chances turned over by Leo’s in their 22’.

It seems to have touched a nerve hearing the talks of paying players! I don’t think it’s sad for onlookers to make assumptions that that is the case. For a team who was struggling at the end of last season, and not have a great beginning of the current season, to start brushing teams aside is in my opinion, outstanding. But if there be no truth to the paying of players, I’d simply take it as a compliment. 13 of Goole players on Saturday came up from the juniors, most of which played from 7 or 8 year old. Cannot disagree with creating a culture to enjoy, I think that’s what’s helped in keeping players interested. Some free stash sounds good though, you got any more going?

baconears

• Finding my feet
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 04:47:55 PM
I watched the Goole Game, two good teams, Leos deserved to win.
I think leos defense was the difference.
I thought the ref was good, so did the guy I was with.
I had one guy near me shouting at the Goole players.
I did not go in the club house.
The linesmen were fine.

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 06:40:16 PM
No match fees, free travel to training and games, free stash, free beer. A fine distinction between that and paying players if you ask this humble observer.

One student in ones squad. This lad doesn’t even drink, he got a free t shirt last season as he’s been with us a few years and he got a lift to goole. Yeah, that’s paying players isn’t it?

avinastella

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 07:33:10 PM
No match fees, free travel to training and games, free stash, free beer. A fine distinction between that and paying players if you ask this humble observer.
Not according to RFU guidance.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 10:20:29 AM
Yes. Given the rfu interviewed the club and advertised our student package in their touchline magazine a few months ago, we’re pretty confident it’s all good with them. 

The students in our seconds, thirds and fourths get the same deal. It’s about getting lads of all standards playing not about trying to poach the good uni players.

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/leodiensians-find-success-university-partnership/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:23:24 AM by Thread Killer »

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 01:07:40 PM
Ive seen the student package that’s offered and I thinks it’s a great step to get young lads who are new to the area involved in club rugby.

My old club from Norfolk used to do similar things with stash to keep young lads interested and keen.

It’s clearly working as your senior sections is growing - all the best!
#lovesport

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 10:29:06 PM
Cheers Bren.

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 02:28:17 PM
Pay?  You think we pay second and third team players?  Do you know what you sound like?

Completely Neutral

• One of the boys
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 05:41:29 PM
He sounds like someone who knows the difference beween paying player’s (be it in the form of gratitude) if that what you want to call it and someone who doesn’t.
Ask yourself would they still turn up on a Saturday if free beer and stash wasn’t included?

Thread Killer

• One of the boys
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 06:16:37 PM
Well given some haven’t had more stash than a t shirt 3 seasons ago and quite often they don’t hang around or if they do they decline drink...yes I do.