$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Home Run Squeaky Bum Time!

Home Run Squeaky Bum Time!

This is a discussion for the topic Home Run Squeaky Bum Time! on the board Regional Two (North & North East).

Author Topic: Home Run Squeaky Bum Time!  (Read 9184 times)

Dark Arts Advocate

• A little respect please...
on: February 28, 2019, 10:53:20 AM
6 to go and all to play for!

I think Morpeth will secure one of the two top places at the end of the season.

The other potential promotion place, in my opinion will be between Scarbs and Morley.

B and B's poor start to the season leaving them short.

Morley who have won every game since 1/12/18 are the form team, but some games have been closer than you would have expected.
They have by far the toughest run in. So although its tough they will have a chance to beat all four of their main competitors for a promotion spot, furthering their ambitions and denting others.

Scarborough Barbarians Semi professionals have been one of the favourites to secure a potential promotion spot for most of the season, however it would appear that the pressure is getting to them! After being easily swept aside by Pocklington in front of their vociferous home support and collecting a couple reds to boot, in their last game.
Much i suspect will depend how they fair at Driffield this weekend and I cant see the Kelleythorpe contingent doing them any favours!
Possibly all to play for when they meet Morley in three weeks time.

And YM are my distinct outsiders of the top four to finish in the top two (or top 4). They also have potentially tough fixtures on the home run. But have shown at full strength they have an outside chance.

So I think that the top of the table will finish.

1. Morpeth.
2. Scarborough (just)
3. Morley
4. B and B
5. Who cares?
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 01:55:15 PM
I think we will be third and morley 2nd.

We are now going through what others went through earlier in the season.....lots and lots of players out.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:14:07 PM
Scarbs have reasonable run in. Other than Driffield and Morley away.
Whereas Morley have a really tough run in!
So unless Scarborough go into total melt down and throw their results with the intention of staying in this very lucrative league for them!
Then they should go up to Northern Premier without any local derbies and a bigger wage bill!
Umm I wonder?

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:23:50 PM
Scarborough obviously got more strength in depth than I thought!
More Cheques!!!

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 08:26:14 PM
Team full of young Scarborough ex-colts. They just played well. Sometimes you'll get more respect and you'll show some rugby credentials by saying well done!

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 10:20:39 PM
What a waste of money then!

Back your players like we do at York!!

So publish in your program like we do who are you’re locally developed players rather you’d antipodean cash cows!

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 07:59:04 AM
If you paid your entrance fee like everyone else you'd be given a programme that shows exactly that!
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 02:21:39 PM
If you paid your entrance fee like everyone else you'd be given a programme that shows exactly that!
I did pay to get in and I found the your match day program very useful when the toilet paper had run out!

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 02:29:24 PM
Yes it's a large programme so it may have (just) satisfied your ample behind! ????????????????

Bombardier29

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Drop the red donkey
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 09:44:54 PM
I did pay to get in and I found the your match day program very useful when the toilet paper had run out!
Heard you had to wipe your front bottom after you had a pee
When the second seal was opened another horse came out, a fairy red one. Its rider was given power to take the p*ss from the earth and to make men lay with each other. To him was given a large ego.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 04:42:44 PM
Heard you had to wipe your front bottom after you had a pee
I wondered whose eye was peering through the recently drilled hole in the cubicle partition!

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 10:26:31 AM
So as Malton prepare to derail the Scarbars chariot, do Scarborough have the ambition to finish off a very lucrative season with promotion or will the money men at Silver Royds pull the plug in favor of another bumper financial season in NE1?

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 05:42:17 PM
We win either way! Happy to go up and happy to miss out.

Not a bad place to be really!

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 11:15:43 AM
I suspect that your club has now got the infrastructure to be able to compete comfortably at the next level and perhaps beyond where expenses etc increase substantially.

The question is, is that where you want to be?
Your recruitment area is not large, so unless you can start churning out colts etc who can play at the next level, your recruitment costs will increase.

Its difficult one really, those club players who are on the cusp of the first team now, who can step up and help if required, will not be able to do that if you go up a couple of leagues, so they will seek their level rugby at Y1 clubs etc. elsewhere. That means you end up with a 1st team squad and maybe a a couple of vets teams or similar.

When you look at a lot of the teams in N2N they all seem to struggle to put out 2 or more sides. everything is sacrificed for the benefit of their first teams, which regrettably includes funding for lower adult sides.

Harrogate is a good example, in the 70's and 80's, they could put out six adult sides, as did Otley, Roundhay etc. Now they are struggling to put out a second team on occasions.

They have/had a buoyant youth section which has indirectly funded the first 15, so where have all those players gone? some lost to rugby totally, I suspect.

So as Scarborough look to climb the leagues, they might want to reflect on what has provided the platform to fund their ambition and learn from the mistakes of others.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 02:29:08 PM
Assuming only the first XV squad on the day is paid, you're looking at 26games x 18 players x £100minimum = £46,800, plus National Insurance of 14% = £53,352. Add Coaching to that, plus pay whilst injured and other minor disbursements and you're looking at the thick end of £80k. You also lose amateur status and the rates/RFU perks that go with that status.

I believe Huddersfield's playing budget when they were in North Premier was £125k, plus coaching. I'm sure Hull's is a lot more than that. And both Blaydon and Preston GH refer to themselves as ' semi-professional '.

Scarborough certainly have the facilities to play at least two leagues higher, but have they the desire and finance to do so ?