$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Northern Premier League Champions

Northern Premier League Champions

This is a discussion for the topic Northern Premier League Champions on the board Regional One (North East).

Author Topic: Northern Premier League Champions  (Read 11243 times)

Yorkie

• Finding my feet
  • East Yorkshireman through and through.
Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 10:17:59 AM
Ye Olde 9,

It's a funny old game is rugby.

We have a team who are the top side in East Yorkshire, play their games in a village about ten miles west of Hull, but call themselves HULL Ionians.

Very curious.

Pristine Shorts

• A little respect please...
Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 10:28:34 AM
Where did Hull & East Riding play ? And Old Hymerians ?

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 01:56:53 PM
Ye Olde 9,

It's a funny old game is rugby.

We have a team who are the top side in East Yorkshire, play their games in a village about ten miles west of Hull, but call themselves HULL Ionians.

Very curious.

Looks like your knowledge of local rugby history is about as good as your geography.

Yorkie

• Finding my feet
Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 03:07:54 PM
BM,
 I think we have just about exhausted this side topic.

The thread is about the Northern Premier League champions and not a struggling Yorkshire Division One club.

We have done the business in our division and Hull Ionians look like doing the same in theirs. How do you view
 their chances of staying top in the few remaininng games?

Chief Selector

• Forum old hand
Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 11:07:38 AM
Well done to Hull on promotion a very good team, with excellent players who are well coached and with new players joining im sure they will do well in the higher league. What comes with that though is
increased outgoings and its ok whilst the money is there but when it stops whats left....... Are they running a second and third team, do they own their own ground and facilities so they can generate their own income? how many mini/junior teams do they run which generates additional income and a conveyor belt of players for the future....

Experience tells me its not all about league position its about an infrastructure.

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 01:34:14 PM
Well done to Hull on promotion a very good team, with excellent players who are well coached and with new players joining im sure they will do well in the higher league. What comes with that though is
increased outgoings and its ok whilst the money is there but when it stops whats left....... Are they running a second and third team, do they own their own ground and facilities so they can generate their own income? how many mini/junior teams do they run which generates additional income and a conveyor belt of players for the future....

Experience tells me its not all about league position its about an infrastructure.

Well said Chef Selector. Very true.
I believe the answer to all of the very valid points you make is either 'no' or 'none'. 

Sycamore

• Legend
Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 02:16:37 PM
Hull....inside-centre end of hell.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 03:42:51 PM

I believe the answer to all of the very valid points you make is either 'no' or 'none'.

Wasn't that rather the point of the merger between Hull and Hull Is.
Take Hulls money, organisation and business acumen and take Hull Is ground and you have one very solid City club.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Yorkie

• Finding my feet
Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 10:52:37 AM
backrowbandit,

Take the first three words of the second sentence and you have Ionians' reason for wanting a merger.

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 11:20:03 PM
backrowbandit,

Take the first three words of the second sentence and you have Ionians' reason for wanting a merger.

Yorkie,
'Take Hull's money'. What money? Hull dont have any money. Do you mean Hull's main sponsors money?

I have a lot of time for any local businessman who puts money into local sport. They are few and far between and they deserve praise and recognition but, let's be fair, take that one sponsor out of the equation, therefore removing the finance of your single team, and what do Hull have? Nothing much.

Chief Selector

• Forum old hand
Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 11:24:50 AM

Take Hulls money, organisation and business acumen and take Hull Is ground and you have one very solid City club.

But Ionians are struggling to get a second and third team as well because everything is being channelled to the first team and thats the point, two clubs in a big city at a high level of league position channelling everything into one team. If they did merge what would change because 15 players would not get in the squad, they wouldnt play for a second team, they would move on so the club would be back to square one... i just dont get what either club's long term strategy is because neither have enough money to go all the way so it begs the question WHY?

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 11:58:58 AM
We actually had the very same discussion the other night.

Ionians played in front of 350 people after winning the league. So promotion isn't going to bring bigger crowds...

Builders mate

• Finding my feet
Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 05:47:06 PM

But Ionians are struggling to get a second and third team as well because everything is being channelled to the first team and thats the point, two clubs in a big city at a high level of league position channelling everything into one team. If they did merge what would change because 15 players would not get in the squad, they wouldnt play for a second team, they would move on so the club would be back to square one... i just dont get what either club's long term strategy is because neither have enough money to go all the way so it begs the question WHY?

Hull Ionians have had no problem fielding a 2ndXV this season. The problem this season has been finding fixtures for them.
Who wants to go all the way? We provide a community rugby club which is not all about the 1stXV and, any Clubs long term strategy must be 'sustainable rugby', at whatever level that is.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 06:09:34 PM
All joking aside Builder Mate ... Do you worry about getting drawn into a wages war trying to maintain your league position? Also your published accounts don't seem to suggest that your current model is sustainable?

I'm not trying to provoke a reaction, I'm genuinely interested in your thinking.