$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Cup results

Author Topic: Cup results  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Postie

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
Re: Cup results
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 06:56:51 PM »
Thing is one of me old, most players at Castleford don't want to play week in week out. They want to play most but not all and don't feel obliged to in any way. This season has been more noticeable than others that players `have better things to do with their weekends` we have had players flitting in and out all season. over forty players used but at times we have been very close to not being able to field a side. When it comes to family commitments; they come first so why on earth people who organise these games think it necessary to play cup competitions on the Easter bank holiday weekend is beyond me.

Castleford Tigers play at Catalan on Monday! we lost a few players because of this, the others had simply `better things to do` It just simply weakens the competition and does not do Yorkshire rugby any good what so ever.

Not by any means trying to stir things here. Would you rather play mid week or a bank holiday weekend? I suspect you would have the same problem.
Free weeks are designated for the cup but league takes priority therefore it's mid week or weekends like this.
Majority of clubs wish to remain at 14 team leagues and whilst it stays at that you will simply not have enough weekends to fit cup games in, especially with national cup too.
I think my question is would you rather have a 12 team league to fit cup in or 14 team league and play weekend like this?

Offline Pomfresian

• Forum old hand
  • Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »
I think Postie it's a question of dedication. I won't hide behind the fact that most of our players just want a game of rugby. As long as they win more than they lose, no lives will be lost. All are competitive and like to win but most would sooner go for a curry on training nights than hit the tackle bags, that's just how it is. Amateur players who just want a game of rugby and a pint after the game with their mates. If we want our cup competitions to mean something, then we must accommodate for them. Too many clubs with too few players, the same issue with rugby league clubs. Less games and avoiding the overlap of league and union fixtures need to be considered also. Again we have lost six players now to the rugby league season....I don't have the answers but I don't mind the debate with honesty and reasoning.

Offline Postie

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 08:24:45 PM »
I think Postie it's a question of dedication. I won't hide behind the fact that most of our players just want a game of rugby. As long as they win more than they lose, no lives will be lost. All are competitive and like to win but most would sooner go for a curry on training nights than hit the tackle bags, that's just how it is. Amateur players who just want a game of rugby and a pint after the game with their mates. If we want our cup competitions to mean something, then we must accommodate for them. Too many clubs with too few players, the same issue with rugby league clubs. Less games and avoiding the overlap of league and union fixtures need to be considered also. Again we have lost six players now to the rugby league season....I don't have the answers but I don't mind the debate with honesty and reasoning.

So would you prefer to go to 12 team league and the club lose money?

Offline schming

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 11:22:37 PM »
Alot of clubs at the lower levels don't make money from games so 2 more home games is irrelevant.

Offline Postie

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 06:27:04 AM »
Alot of clubs at the lower levels don't make money from games so 2 more home games is irrelevant.
I was referring to the fact that a lot of clubs in the lower leagues are reliant on bar takings to keep the club open so 2 extra games is completely relevant

Offline Pomfresian

• Forum old hand
  • Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 07:38:12 AM »
I do think we have to broaden our minds and our thinking on this Postie.

A good few games this season, certain teams for whom I wont mention don't stay behind for a pint, they get changed and they have gone. Some don't bring any spectators of note and will be driving. Bar takings I understand are important to most clubs but shouldn't be relied on solely in this day and age to keep a club going. If this is the case then drink driving hasn't reached its peak & clubs need to think outside the box a little

Two less or more games per season may be enforced anyhow if the present loss of interest in playing rugby continues Postie??

I will go back to my previous point of cup games being played at the right time of the season and being of interest and relevence. How big a crowd would say Castleford & Knottingley get mid season laying third and fourth respectively mid season with full strength teams? This against one of the sides (possibly both) having half a team out at the end of the season where most players and spectators just want to enjoy the break and look forward to their planned family holidays without the fear of being injured?