$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Cup Semis and Final

Author Topic: Cup Semis and Final  (Read 5914 times)

Offline gateprop

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Re: Cup Semis and Final
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
As Wilko says probably Ponte and should be a great game aswell. On another note I notice Baildon beat Thorne 19-17 at the weekend, makes things interesting at the top!

Basically means that regardless of the Thorne v Aire result there’s a winner takes all promotion match between Pythons and Thorne on 18th May.

Told the game is 4 may, can someone confirm the date?

Thorne’s Twickenham final is on the 5th so unless they’re going to make them play us the day before HQ our game will be the next available Saturday, 18th May.

Offline Pomfresian

• Forum old hand
  • Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 05:39:14 PM »
Here`s one for you: Why cant the final be played at Castleford?

We have hosted many Rugby League finals over the years but the YRFU seem to overlook us for Rugby Union finals (is it because of the former)?

I heard Sandal as a possibility this morning! why take it away from Y3 when there is a ground suitable for Y3 sides to play on?

Offline Pomfresian

• Forum old hand
  • Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »
Mud Slinger I almost shed a tear when I read your post, I had this image of Compo & Clegg in Last of the Summer Wine walking about ont moor.

Next season Mud Slinger home and/or away we will tie up and have that elusive pint. You wont miss me, I am the one that looks like Burt Reynolds in his prime. I will also wear a red white and blue cravat so there will be no mistakes....

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2019, 07:19:50 PM »
Pommy

I think there is a rationale involved in choice of venue .
Ponty provide their facilities free gratis as a base for the Yorkshire U20 team who train there throughout the season on Sundays . This involves free hot water, clubhouse heating, food etc etc so I presume the trade off is hosting a final to recoup some costs .  Other clubs who regularly host such games offer Yrfu support similarly . The question therefore is do Cas help in this way ? Hosting Rugby league finals is probably a massive no no with the powers that be given the deliberate competition for young players with RL switching youth games to clash with junior RU league fixtures .

I only know this as I queried it when Brid played a Yorkshire shield final at ponty a few years back . Ponty actually did all sorts of things for the finalists including filming and producing a match video for the winners . Sandal have traditionally done very little apart from looking after their own interests .

Offline Pomfresian

• Forum old hand
  • Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2019, 08:31:08 PM »
I sort of get the trade offs alf hearted. Castleford host the England girls RU team for training regularly as well as County disability teams. We do this free of charge (training)  and obviously cover costs on representative matches with teas, coffees, chip butties and the bar takings. The players meals, bath, showers, bar staff are all taken out of this, so we dont do it for profit as I am sure you will appreciate.  We would never as most club 's do and certainly the YRFU do; prejudice rugby league Vs rugby union. We are a community club who do what they can to host community events, what ever it may be.Sandal RUFC host a great number of rugby league games both representative and finals.....apparently with no discourse from the YRFU?

Castleford needs  rugby league involvement Alfie as they have done for their 100 + year history. Surely the bias towards either code has abated in that time......
The game as it is, needs to be put in a showcase. Hosting the final at Castleford isn't the answer but I would sooner it be at Hemsworth than it be at Sandal. I think we at least agree on that one!

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2019, 08:56:57 PM »
Pommie

I don’t disagree with any of what you say . I was just giving a rationale thats all.. obviously the club facilities play a part as well . Must say I had a good day at whitwood Saturday ... but clubhouse is cramped to be fair . Not sure about floodlights capability , and that theakstons was horrible . Hemswart ??? I know ponty isn’t your favourite place but it’s not a bad spot for a final . I’m not sure who the ground would suit best as I’ve not seen Corinth play this season . Knottingley won’t mind where it is ..

Offline Fenton

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 07:56:36 PM »
Knottla have had enough of winning at Castleford and wanted to play elsewhere 😂 only joking, it’s at Ponte week tomorrow kick off 7.30pm

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2019, 08:22:07 PM »
Fone tone

Thank you for that . I shall see you there then... I’ll be in my best tweeds and my pilots silk cravat .

Beachy ... case or two in the changing rooms for you and the boys win or lose after match ... any preference ? ( don’t ask for lager that’s a drink for the cerebrally challenged)

Offline Beachy

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »
Us Knottla lads do like a good Chardonnay Alf... But in seriousness we wouldn't turn anything down, can't see a trusty case of John Smith's going begging between the lads. Great gesture if you do!

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2019, 08:57:42 PM »
Beachy

Consider that sorted ..

It will be in the changing room for you 👍

Offline Fenton

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 09:53:07 PM »
Half Hart, gesture welcome but you seem to be jumping on the bandwagon to get some browny points, perhaps a beer or two the rest of the season would be nice as well 🍺🥃🍻

Offline Rugby Convert

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »
Final to be played at Pontefract RUFC, Wednesday 8th May, 7pm kickoff

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2019, 01:59:02 PM »
Half Hart, gesture welcome but you seem to be jumping on the bandwagon to get some browny points, perhaps a beer or two the rest of the season would be nice as well 🍺🥃🍻

Fone tone

I require no browny points from anyone thank you for your consideration . I look myself in the mirror in a morning no one else .
It’s a special game to play in a final for any player they come round very rarely for most . I will be dropping a case in both teams changing rooms to get the lads started . Small gesture . If it offends you of course I still shall .

Offline Fenton

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2019, 03:08:51 PM »
Half Art, it does not offend me, why should it, and if it makes you feel good get on and enjoy the moment

Offline MrG

• Finding my feet
  • UTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »
Alf Hart a case of special brew wouldn't go a miss too.  :)