$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Merit Leagues

Author Topic: Merit Leagues  (Read 8353 times)

Offline His Lordship

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • No need to kneel...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Twitter
Re: Merit Leagues
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »
Cheers Olly.

Offline The Enforcer

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
Right then , if they are not allowed to play each other does that constitute a free weekend ? .
Could be useful if the last few seasons weather is anything to go by .
The sword of moderation shall fall heavy upon the ungenerous .

Offline Olly D

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »
My understanding is that in the Merit Tables (which is where 2 sides from a club can be in the same league), which are the bottom Leagues (e.g. South 2), clubs do not have to play everyone twice, they arrange fixtures as and when they can play.

The fact that teams will have played different amount of games has been accounted for in the rules:

8. Determination of Points and Winners

Points awarded shall determine the position of sides within the league/merit tables.

Four points shall be awarded for a win, two points for a draw and no points for a loss.

Bonus points will be awarded for scoring four or more tries by either side and a losing bonus point where a team loses by seven points or less.

In Merit Table games the average calculation will be used by adding the total number of points accumulated and dividing by the number of games played.

Offline Gilly

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »
I cant see why 2 teams from the same club cant be in the same league and play each other. In the North West Intermediate Leagues there are loads of divisions with 2 teams from same club and those are some of the biggest games of the year that everyone wants to play in!

If a team wins its league or merit table it should go up and if they come bottom they should go down. SIMPLE! Having this restriction means that some teams are never going up and some will never come down.

This bit of "rules" copied below also seems a bit strange to me.

The two highest teams in YCMT 3 will be promoted to the respective District league. The lowest team from YCN2 and YAWW2 will be relegated to YCMT3 (combined merit table). However, a club may formally request that their team remains in the same table
In this case the Organiser will determine whether or not to promote a team, based upon the arguments given and the relativity of the playing strengths of the other teams.

Why have this? I cant see any "fair" reason for this.

Offline The Mole

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
Gilly, it seems quite sensible to me and has been in place for a number of years. The aim of the merit tables is surely to provide well matched opposition for clubs 2nd/3rd teams.

An an example of when a club may request not to be promoted could be that despite a succesffull season for 'team X's 3rd XV' they are aware in adavnce that a number of their better and most experianced players are retiring from the game, being a relativly small club they know they will not be able to replace these players with people of the same quality and request that they remain in the same merit table/league. In other words, there is no point going up a level in the knowlege that your going to get your arses handed to you every Saturday, nobody benefits from that.

Offline Gilly

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 11:58:14 AM »
Mole - I take your point about that there may be an odd occasion where a team doesn't want to go up for the reasons you state. I was thinking more the other way round as in a team appealing against relegation to the merit league.

Offline The Enforcer

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »
Mole - I take your point about that there may be an odd occasion where a team doesn't want to go up for the reasons you state. I was thinking more the other way round as in a team appealing against relegation to the merit league.
If that team succesfully appeals to the merit league and is not relagated what happens to the teams in the league below does someone miss out on promotion ? 
The sword of moderation shall fall heavy upon the ungenerous .

Offline The Mole

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »
Surely a successfull appeal against relegation would only be as a result of the promoted team from the league below appealing against their promotion. I cant think of any other reason why an appeal against relegation would be successful.