$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; England Squad

England Squad

This is a discussion for the topic England Squad on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: England Squad  (Read 6395 times)

Alf Hart

• Legend
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 07:03:02 AM
It’s only a game !

By the way ye older 9 .... we know you’re Welsh and therefore understand the parochial dislike of all things English . Good job us Anglo Saxons are embracing Globalisation and sharing the love with our fellow man . ( and woman and all who decide otherwise) or we would be just like you .... mean minded, bad neighbours, insular and arrogant . ... ....

By the way BrrrB Zermatt is it ?? Verdammter Tourist ... Ruf mich in Adliswil an. Ich zeige dir die echte Schweiz. Ich bin damit einverstanden, dass die Schweiz das beste Land der Welt ist!. ( and no I don’t need to use translator to speak german .. high or Swiss)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 07:51:35 AM
Lol - I had to use translator as I don't speak German! We are clearly in agreement. I also particularly like Basel with its three boarders and the Rhine running through the middle. I've had some good times in Basel.

However, the Swiss Franc is rather pricing me out of the area at the moment....  :( :( :(
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Sergeant Stomp

• Forum old hand
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 08:46:56 AM
Not the result the vast majority of us wanted!

Here is my take on yesterday.

It doesn’t take a genius to work out - we got beaten up I’m afraid.

Thing is we all knew that is what SA we’re going to try and do. I’d have started Joe Marler, he is an excellent scrummager, probably the best in the squad? For all that Mako brings, scrummaging isn’t his strongest suit. I may be old fashioned, isn’t that what your props need to do first? If they offer a lot in the loose - great. I probably would have gone with Dan Cole too from the off. Again, he can scrummage, as a previous post said, he isn’t good for 80 at that level anymore. I think that would have taken away the dominance at scrum time in The first 40, would it have effected the result - who knows? In the last 30/40 Mako and Kyle could come on, when the game opens up a bit!

In any game at any level, if your getting done up front, the game plan goes out of the window.

In the backs, I don’t think Ben Young’s had a good day, is it now time to look elsewhere?

As has been said previously, I’d have taken Danny  Cipriani.

Don’t think Elliot Daly had a good game, great player, not a 15.

As to the criticism of how South Africa play, finals are about winning. Performance isn’t the main thing. We’ve all been in Finals, who remembers the performance?

Still, a lot of positives, it’s pretty much a young squad. All in all a Good World Cup. Onwards and Upwards.

If any of you are at Stacks Field, come and say hi.

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 09:18:42 AM
I don't think we can criticise England, they played superbly well all tournament except the final. Eddie got his selections Bob on right up to the final today too.

I just got the feeling he tried to over think it too much, we played way too much in our own half, tried some crazy stuff with Barrel playing 9 off a line out. Just didn't make sense to me.

As I said back in August, Daly isn't a 15 and can't think of a game in the world Cup when he played really well. He won't play 15 for Saracens I don't think either, I hope he gets his chance at 13.

I could see we were trying to get outside of South Africa's defence, the problem was the outside backs were so flat that the long passes to static attackers give plenty of time for the defence to drift across. Not rocket science.

Overall though, we had a great tournament, did much better than most outside the camp expected and showed glimpses of a top class side who will try and at least to play attacking and expansive rugby. Unlike some teams.

Johnsman

• Finding my feet
Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 11:54:00 AM
Very disappointing game/result.
Out muscled in set piece - French ref then saw everything Boks way. Injury to Sinckler very important.
Youngs had a shocker  - having played way above in previous games.
Barrel and Tuilagi never in game.
Best centre in squad (Joseph) only brought on when game over.
Great fan of Danny Cipriani - so you know what I think about him being left at home (Francis anyone think he is an International player??)
Positives are the appearance of Underhill and Curry.

Pristine Shorts

• A little respect please...
Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 01:03:24 PM
Just spending a well-earned break in the Cape. The locals are very complimentary about England in general, but decried their boorishness in either not accepting and/or removing their silver medals and not really admitting that they lost to a better side. I did notice this at the medal ceremony and rather hoped no one else did.

I have never particularly liked many in this England team as individuals and unfortunately was unable to gainsay what’s being said here.