$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Opening weekend..preview

Author Topic: Opening weekend..preview  (Read 3614 times)

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
Opening weekend..preview
« on: September 06, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »
A bits I've picked up here and there over summer and from websites.

As I'm sure you all will have gathered I've had very little time at all for rugby over the last couple of months so hopefully will get back into it now.

Bradford & Bingley   -   Percy Park

The brid captain and centre jamie martin has signed for B&B but lost coach Ant poser. They may benefit from some players coming their way from Rotherham.
Not much about PP other than they got well beaten last week by Alnwick in the cup

I expect both to be competitive.

Cleckheaton -   Scarborough   

Cleck have made some excellent signings and seem to have recruited heaths highly rated front row as well as a couple of West Leeds players. Their coach is back playing. I thought Cleck were close to being very strong last season and these signings could make the difference.

Its no secret that we lost 5 players over summer. To compound matters injury and unavailability will test the squad in the early weeks, with 3 away games in first 4 matches its going to be tough. BUT the season is a long one.

Driffield   -   York             

Driff have had lots of player movement with players returning from injury and players returning from uni, with only one loss. They have also plundered the overseas locker with an Australian signing and two more to follow. Driff are always well organised and I suspect this could be an early top of the table clash.

Don't need to say much about York. Everyone knows they have signed loads of players as they have been having weekly updates and latest purchase annoucements. They will win the league with ease i think this years. Some of their signing (in fact most) are of very high quality. This match should be a cracker.

Durham City   -   Kendal      

Sorry no idea although someone somewhere posted that Durham will struggle? I'm at kendal next week so will have a better idea.

Malton and Norton   -   Huddersfield Y.M.C.A.     

I'm told that Malton are struggling for players and couldn't raise a side pre-season. However pre-season means nothing and it can be very different on the first weekend. I do however think they won't be troubling the top 3.
YMCA have signed a coach from RL who has had a few well published personal problems which were all dealt with and over now. it seems he has fallen out with RL and therefore could be a high quality signing for Y< who have a number of new faces.    Again YM will be very competitive.

Morley   -   West Hartlepool         
Morly played the best 25 minutes of the season against us last year but faded badly. They are well placed to have the pick of the leeds players so again will be tough.
Wests seem to lurch from world beaters to Mrs average the next season so who knows?

Pocklington   -   Moortown   
Pock were decimated by injury last season - if they are luckier this year they will be a different ball games.

Moortown - what do i say. Well I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt. if they have developed some dignity it will be great to have them in the league. I imagine they will have a host of new players and will expect and probably will be pushing at the top.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
Re: Opening weekend..preview
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 01:47:27 PM »
Ahhhhh....I'm back  O0

Offline Oldandslow

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:06:08 PM »
Welcome to the new season BRB and everyone else.

I have never know a season where I have no idea who will do what in North One. Watched 1st  half the Pontefract v York preseason game, York had some tidy individual players but looked very ring rusty against a Ponte side I was told with plenty of players unavailable.

Know B&B and Morley are confident of having good season. My contacts in the north east thick Durham City will struggle away from home.

I've done my predictions league and I could score 14 or more likely zero.

Offline BLACKANDREDARMY

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 05:38:19 PM »
Back row bandit. I'm intrigued  to where you get your information.  So very far off the mark.

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 06:22:40 PM »
Back row bandit. I'm intrigued  to where you get your information.  So very far off the mark.

You must be new, BRB has eyes and ears everywhere!

Offline BLACKANDREDARMY

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »
Having read the post for a few teams to which I have connections to, he is so incorrect 🤦???

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 11:19:35 PM »
Ok that's no problem...I only got my information from various websites. Give us the benefit of your insight...that's how these forums work!

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »
As always it will take a few weeks for teams to get up to full speed, so i wouldn't read too much into the early games.

I am sure that teams like Driff, Malt and Pock will all have players who are still driving tractors and such. Who will be fit and available in the next few weeks

The once sacred unwritten rule of no holidays, weddings, stag nights etc during the season has long since been confined to the ethics of yesteryear!

Of one thing i am sure, the level of commitment from those taking to the field in this league will need to be at the best they have to offer, to survive. Good luck to all!

Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 03:44:40 PM »
HT Cleck 32-7 Scarborough

Cleck looking very good....

Offline Dropkicker

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »
Driff 10 York 13

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 04:40:09 PM »
FT Cleck 34-29 Scarborough

Offline Dropkicker

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »
Driffield 22 York 18

Offline leg

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 05:58:51 PM »
Bonus point win for Town I understand