$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Opening weekend..preview

Author Topic: Opening weekend..preview  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Knock On

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: Opening weekend..preview
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 08:11:16 PM »
FT Cleck 34-29 Scarborough
[/
quote]
How did Cleck score 2 points second half?

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 08:56:41 PM »
Obviously one of their rugby league imports kicked a goal!
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 09:00:44 PM »
All results please? Can't find them anywhere.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Offline Ubique

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 09:44:08 PM »
B&B 25 park 14
Cleck 32 Scarborough 29
Drift 22 York 18
City 45 Kendal 5
M&N 40 YM 38
Morley 29 west 5
Pock 17 town 26

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »
Cleck played some excellent rugby in the first half with seemingly pace and power throughout the team. They looked really well prepared and scored some excellent tries.

At 32-7 at halftime, it's fair to say we were a bit worried. But a very young Scarborough side fought back in the second half and whilst not showing the power of Cleck certainly played excellent rugby. The usually excellent boot of the Scarborough kicker was slightly misfiring on the day missing 3 conversions and a penalty which could and should have given Scarborough an unlikely victory.

Both sides will be happy with day with plenty of positives and different areas to work on.

It was a lovely sunny day and the match was very well reffed.

Excellent hospitality beforehand....the chairman was helping in the kitchen as we arrived, it just goes to show how rugby clubs rely on willing volunteers.

Some very interesting other results...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline BLACKANDREDARMY

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 08:27:54 AM »
YM were of the pace in the first 30 minutes, conceding 3 tries, being 21-0 down, within the last minutes of the first half both teams traded tries. With the score 28-12 at half time. YM started to play fluent rugby  and started to take control of the game Ym took the lead leading 38-33 with with 3 minutes to go.

Malton had a scrum 10m out to which they chose to catch and drive, Ym stood off the line out and the referee blew his whistle, generically this should have been a YM penalty for truck and trailer however the referee stated this is unfair as malton didnt know the rule regarding this. The lineout was taken again and malton scored from the next move.

Malton full of multilingual  players this season, however I've been told a few will be going home shortly, a good win for malton but a poor first half cost Ym. Onto the next game.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:35:44 AM by Red Horseman »

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 08:58:01 AM »
YM were of the pace in the first 30 minutes, conceding 3 tries, being 21-0 down, within the last minutes of the first half both teams traded tries. With the score 28-12 at half time. YM started to play fluent rugby  and started to take control of the game Ym took the lead leading 38-33 with with 3 minutes to go.

Malton had a scrum 10m out to which they chose to catch and drive, Ym stood off the line out and the referee blew his whistle, generically this should have been a YM penalty for truck and trailer however the referee stated this is unfair as malton didnt know the rule regarding this. The lineout was taken again and malton scored from the next move.

Malton full of multilingual  players this season, however I've been told a few will be going home shortly, a good win for malton but a poor first half cost Ym. Onto the next game.

Poor YM.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 09:12:00 AM »
As a matter of debate...I can't imagine any referee not penalising a side because they didn't know the laws??
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:07:55 PM by backrowbandit »

Offline Dan Nulty

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »
Referee is not there to coach.  Penalise them, perhaps discuss with their captain next break in play.

Offline Welshmanupnorth

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 07:57:01 PM »
Hi all first time visiting Malton yesterday and it was quite a game.  Massive credit to Huddersfield for coming back into the game with the help of Malton's indiscipline. Malton looked slick and hungry in the first half not sure whether this was Huddersfield starting slowly, stood next to a chap with a Malton tie on think his name was Jim (thanks for the beer) he said the black lad is a resident South African who has a family and there is a new Australian in the pack but he mentioned most are homegrown which is nice to see.

Once Huddersfield took the five point lead with around 10 minutes to go. Malton threw nearly everything at them but every time they got into a decent scoring position squandered it by infringing at the breakdown their coach was going bonkers.  I was stood right near the lineout which wasn't (which was around 5 minutes from time), Huddersfield didn't compete and even stepped away from the maul Malton looked to set up.
Malton did transfer the ball backwards but Malton's 3 pulled the jumper away leaving the ball with the ripper at the front of the "maul".  I don't think the ref was happy about Huddersfield pulling out of the contest and spoke to both captain's about it. The ref asked for it to be retaken, I've seen something like before but that ref restarted with a scrum on the 15 with the attacking team having the put in.

Both teams then traded tackles with Malton keeping Huddersfield in their 22, A minute to go Huddersfield looked like they had it won after they won a penalty and kicked direct to touch the ref then indicated this would be the last play. The Huddersfield player then jumped highest but knocked on the Huddersfield hooker gathered from offside position. Giving Malton a chance to kick to the corner which their impressive 10 did.  An overthrown lineout landed in the arms of the 10 who made a good positive 10m, the forwards took over to draw the game level, then 10 then stepped up to win the game for Malton. Enjoyed a great day at Malton and I hope to contribute more to this forum once I get out and about.

Now on to more Yorkshire rugby health permitting i'll be at York/Morley next weekend.

Paul J
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:00:18 PM by Welshmanupnorth »

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »
Paul - welcome to forum and firstly thanks for identifying the most important concept of a message board and that is CONTRIBUTING!

Excellent first post and I look forward to reading more from you.

Malton seem to be much better than some of us thought.

What was your take on the referee interpretation?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:41:54 PM by backrowbandit »

Offline Welshmanupnorth

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
Thank you

From what he told both captain's in their little chat, I was quite confident he smoothed the situation out reasonable well. It was a touch and go with the "offside in the maul" but the ref was on the blindside of the ball so arguably wasn't sure who had it.  He seemed more annoyed with Huddersfield stepping back out the the line which he informed their captain that was an infringement so could award Malton a penalty.

The ref had a good game he penalised Maltons 6 (who was lucky to stay on) at the breakdown quite often some seemed harsh but most were fair. Not a fan of ref bashing never have been. Seen many clubs while travelling with work up and down the U.K. usually the most successful clubs can see their own failures not blaming any ref's.

I'll be sure to stay involved as much as I can but have a few health issues, I can't handle the cold.

Paul

Which team is your team?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:40:00 PM by Welshmanupnorth »

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2019, 08:43:09 PM »
I sometimes wander down to Scarborough...

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 02:42:20 PM »
Hi all first time visiting Malton yesterday and it was quite a game.  Massive credit to Huddersfield for coming back into the game with the help of Malton's indiscipline. Malton looked slick and hungry in the first half not sure whether this was Huddersfield starting slowly, stood next to a chap with a Malton tie on think his name was Jim (thanks for the beer) he said the black lad is a resident South African who has a family and there is a new Australian in the pack but he mentioned most are homegrown which is nice to see.

Once Huddersfield took the five point lead with around 10 minutes to go. Malton threw nearly everything at them but every time they got into a decent scoring position squandered it by infringing at the breakdown their coach was going bonkers.  I was stood right near the lineout which wasn't (which was around 5 minutes from time), Huddersfield didn't compete and even stepped away from the maul Malton looked to set up.
Malton did transfer the ball backwards but Malton's 3 pulled the jumper away leaving the ball with the ripper at the front of the "maul".  I don't think the ref was happy about Huddersfield pulling out of the contest and spoke to both captain's about it. The ref asked for it to be retaken, I've seen something like before but that ref restarted with a scrum on the 15 with the attacking team having the put in.

Both teams then traded tackles with Malton keeping Huddersfield in their 22, A minute to go Huddersfield looked like they had it won after they won a penalty and kicked direct to touch the ref then indicated this would be the last play. The Huddersfield player then jumped highest but knocked on the Huddersfield hooker gathered from offside position. Giving Malton a chance to kick to the corner which their impressive 10 did.  An overthrown lineout landed in the arms of the 10 who made a good positive 10m, the forwards took over to draw the game level, then 10 then stepped up to win the game for Malton. Enjoyed a great day at Malton and I hope to contribute more to this forum once I get out and about.

Now on to more Yorkshire rugby health permitting i'll be at York/Morley next weekend.

Paul J
Congratulations WMUN! This appears to be a very balanced post! Do you have a chip on both shoulders? ;) ;)
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”