$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Not a lot of fun. Is this a record?

Not a lot of fun. Is this a record?

This is a discussion for the topic Not a lot of fun. Is this a record? on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Not a lot of fun. Is this a record?  (Read 8464 times)

kronos47

• A little respect please...
on: September 15, 2019, 01:58:29 PM
So South Leicester rugby club in Midlands premier league have played there first 2 opening fixtures against Bourneville to whom they lost 0-119 and the following Saturday against Newport Salop to whom they lost 7-119.

Anyone else ever heard of results like that?
I dont know whats happened there but I feel for them.
Will they continue to field a side?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 02:25:31 PM
I think I’m right in saying that when Manchester were on the slide down the leagues they had conceded over 1000 points after their first 10 games in one of the national  leagues.

I wish them all the best for the rest of this season and the next. Their second/third team will feel the strain as well.
#lovesport

Oldandslow

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 02:27:25 PM
K47

They were relegated from National 2 north last year. So I guess they have lost players, I know Peterborough Lions who were also relegated from the same league lost key players.

Sadly in the East Midlands which used to be a hot bed of rugby now not enough players and those with any quality follow the money.

BishBashBosh

• One of the boys
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 09:58:34 PM
Every player in the senior squad left SL after relegation from N2N.
The midlands players especially Leicester sides move around nearly every year to whoever pays the most

The Vole

• Conference Call
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 04:06:17 PM
Sad state of affairs. Birmingham & Solihull folded this year too after the money ran out, all their players left and they decided to pull out of the league and enter a team in the merit leagues instead of throwing their remaining players to the lions.

As you say, players seem to follow the money in the midlands and most of Birmingham's players have now turned up at Bournville, no doubt pushing a few of their existing players out in the process. It is an age-old argument but I'm not sure what anyone really gains out of throwing money at players, rather than investing the money in developing a sustainable source of players from a well-run junior set up.

Speccy

• Forum old hand
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 08:04:06 AM
Sad.

I see South Leicester lost 7 - 127 at the weekend,against Nuneaton. Now conceded 439 points in four games,whilst scoring just 30. Not surprisingly,they seem to be running just one senior team. The other relegatedclub,Peterborough aren't doing much better.

I see that both Sheffield and Doncaster Phoenix play in the same league.

The Vole

• Conference Call
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 02:23:59 PM
Another 2 games, another 2 losses...

124-11 against Broadstreet (who are one of the weaker teams in the league)
120-0 against Paviors

They've now conceded 683 points in just 6 games. Derby finished bottom of the table last season and conceded 872 all season (26 games)

Radio Gnome

• Legend
  • I, for one, like Roman numerals.
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 09:42:45 PM
I went to watch South Leicester last season.

It was the game just before Christmas against Leicester Lions with a Pre-match meal on. The crowd was 120. Half of them stayed in the club finishing their Xmas pudding.

The club house resembles a L9/L10 set up - probably most resembles Hemsworth's if that helps. They have one senior team (3 pitches) paid for a benefactor and nothing else, no juniors. Given they only got relegated near end of the season and didn't finish bottom of N2N all I can assume is he and his money have walked. If they can keep going I would imagine L8/L9 is where they may stop plummeting.
Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
That I got no cerebellum -  Ramones 1977

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 07:25:37 PM
Lost 240 (two hundred and forty) - 0 to Bromsgrove.
#lovesport

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 07:38:25 PM
I hope the supporters are buying them all their beer and they are having fun off the pitch. Christ almighty.

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 07:45:05 PM
Absolutely!! I looked through their twitter page and a lot of young lads have been given debuts this season. I remember making my debut for my hometown club and whilst we lost the match it certainly wasn’t to score lines they’re suffering.  I hope they manage to stick together and see the season out.
#lovesport

kronos47

Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 06:43:47 PM
This scoreline of 240-0 must be a record.

Apparently Bromsgrove scored 36 tries.

TBH i think this is probably dangerous for these players who are out of there depth. It must be demoralising.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the Stars.
*Oscar Wilde 1895

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 07:21:15 PM
It's quite disgusting...but credit to them for fielding a team. It's nearly a try every 2 mins!
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Billy36

• Finding my feet
  • Breathing Cotswold fire over Yorkshire's fields
Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 07:43:13 PM
Having played some rugby in Leicestershire, and against South in my time, I can agree with Radio Gnome’s assessment of the club.
Plenty of benefactor money via a sponsorship deal facade, climbed out of what was then National 3 Midlands soon after their national league neighbours Hinckley a few years ago.
To be fair to South their Sunday mornings used to be quite well attended back at the start of the decade and I hear the current colts are a decent outfit in the area at their age group.

However, with no second or third team to blood these in they soon move to clubs that can off adult rugby with appropriate levels to blood them in. Not every 18 year old is Marcus Smith of Harlequins at that age.
Some did go full circle at 22 onwards having been superstars in lower leagues, but it’s not a recipe for success. Especially if you’ve grown a group of friends at that club and South could cancel your contact and leave you teamless at any point. Not the enjoyable environment to thrive in.

Interestingly Birmingham and Solihull, who both came down with South from National 2 level have both also lost all their playing squad and pulled out of the RFU pyramid to play in the Birmingham Merit Leagues.

Look anywhere up and down the country and there are centenary year and beyond established “first teams” now in local merit leagues. Rugby is becoming unsustainable at the higher levels. Professional fees for unprofessional set ups and unprofessional individuals...sorry amateur set ups and individuals. There’s no longer a glass ceiling, more a giant wrecking ball for any club not willing to spend beyond their means to find their level.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 07:46:00 AM
A conversation I have at every pre-match lunch. Time to scrap the national leagues!
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.