$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Game Off

Author Topic: Game Off  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
Game Off
« on: December 01, 2019, 07:42:13 PM »
Ribb travelled to Wath yeaterday after being told the pitch would be playable by the time we got there. As is transpired it was still frozen in patches and , in ALL our lads opinion was not safe. We know Wath have suffered from the recent deluges close to their pitch, and we support them in the terrible issues that has brought both the club and some of their members. However our coach costs £450 and whatever condition the pitch was in at 2.00pm it must have been in a less good condition in terms of playing on it at 9.00am when we were informed that we were "Good to go".
My point is if a team are having to travel two and a half hours on an expensive coach the home team, IMHO, has a duty to call off the game if there is any doubt about it. As is stands now we will have to go again on the 21st Dec, which is no problem but will cost us another £450 as 75 miles is too far to ask lads to represent the club and drive.
A little disappointing from a Ribb perspective.

Offline NEYorkshireman

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: Game Off
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »
I was under the assumption that clubs had to get the advice from an impartial referee to call a game off if they were in any doubt about the suitability due to issues (such as this) that can arise if one club thinks it's playable and the other not???

Dubious call from Wath to think the pitch would have thawed underneath given the temperature was not going to rise about 4 degrees on Saturday...shame they didn't turn their underground heating system on a few hours earlier!

Offline plantpotjim

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
sounds like a dream to me. Extra bus trip!

Offline Veteran

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 08:37:45 PM »
Wath pitch was fine. Only person that thought it wasn’t was ribb coach. Who then told all his players that the ref called it off. The players wanted to play. The pitch took a stud. You will play on a lot harder in September. Reliably informed that ribb played on a lot harder frozen pitch last year no problem.
Did you check the pitch flag man?

Offline Ripit

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 09:53:52 PM »
The ref is a colleague of mine and said that he agreed that the pitch was not playable.

Offline Ribb Exile in Lancs

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 01:11:39 AM »
Thanks Ripit, it's clear whatever Veteran has to say the pitch was unfit. Is he just covering for Wath's decision to ask us to travel, cost the club £450.00. Can sympathise with them  in a way they have had a lot of pitch problems but in the end common sense should prevail.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 01:14:42 AM »
Wath pitch was fine. Only person that thought it wasn’t was ribb coach. Who then told all his players that the ref called it off. The players wanted to play. The pitch took a stud. You will play on a lot harder in September. Reliably informed that ribb played on a lot harder frozen pitch last year no problem.
Did you check the pitch flag man?
Utter Rubbish!

Offline Veteran

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 11:23:49 AM »
Which part is utter rubbish. If it takes a stud then playable. If It was that frozen that my boots were caked in mud.
Fact ribb players wanted to play
Fact the coach told them it wasn’t his decision but the refs. The ref doesn’t make the decision on these matters
Fact the committee knew it would be a little hard but wanted to play wanted to come. It was their decision to come when told it was hard but takes a stud.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:25:40 AM by Veteran »

Offline Ed I Tackle

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »
Ribb travelled to Wath yeaterday after being told the pitch would be playable by the time we got there. As is transpired it was still frozen in patches and , in ALL our lads opinion was not safe. We know Wath have suffered from the recent deluges close to their pitch, and we support them in the terrible issues that has brought both the club and some of their members. However our coach costs £450 and whatever condition the pitch was in at 2.00pm it must have been in a less good condition in terms of playing on it at 9.00am when we were informed that we were "Good to go".
My point is if a team are having to travel two and a half hours on an expensive coach the home team, IMHO, has a duty to call off the game if there is any doubt about it. As is stands now we will have to go again on the 21st Dec, which is no problem but will cost us another £450 as 75 miles is too far to ask lads to represent the club and drive.
A little disappointing from a Ribb perspective.

Unfortunate, bit like when Hullensians travelled to Ribb a few years ago, 4 hours there through diversions for flooded roads. To find the water lapping around our ankles when we got there! Trip home was even longer due to more flooding, a good drink was had by all though.

Offline Dan Nulty

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 03:04:31 PM »
Sorry Veteran, the referee is entitled to call the match off if he deems it unsafe to play on, even if both captains want to play. Regulation 13
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:30:58 PM by Dan Nulty »

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 05:48:21 PM »
Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Veteran and hope for better luck with the weather on the 21st Dec. Good luck in the meantime.

Offline Ripit

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 06:45:17 PM »
Which part is utter rubbish. If it takes a stud then playable. If It was that frozen that my boots were caked in mud.
Fact ribb players wanted to play
Fact the coach told them it wasn’t his decision but the refs. The ref doesn’t make the decision on these matters
Fact the committee knew it would be a little hard but wanted to play wanted to come. It was their decision to come when told it was hard but takes a stud.

If both Captains have different views on the pitch, then the ref will make the decision.  The ref in this instance said it was unfit in his view.  He didnt take the decision lightly as he had driven all the way from Redcar to referee the match.  Being a Level 7 Ref myself, I would not start a match if I was at all concerned about the pitch.

Offline Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »
Veteran,
            personally I did not inspect the pitch. I did however speak individually to about 12 of the Ribb lads after our coach had left to drive home. Not one of them thought it was playable. Perhaps a bigger concern was the need to pick up considerable amounts of Dog poo. With one lad telling me that he witnessed one of your guys having to chisel poo with his shovel as it was frozen to the ground. I know it is very difficult with your pitches surrounded by people who literally "Dont give a s***" which is a crying shame as Wath are central to the community as we at Ribb are. Its a pity more local people dont care.
It was not my intention to cause any ill feeling, as we have always enjoyed our battles with Wath. Maybe a bumper pre xmas crowd and a big take on the gate will lessen the expense a little as we are entitled to a share of the gate receipts i believe!!

Good luck until the 21st.

Offline plantpotjim

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 10:53:22 PM »
We can give you some tips about removing dog poo if you want lads