$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Y1 v Y2 v Y3

Author Topic: Y1 v Y2 v Y3  (Read 697 times)

Offline NEYorkshireman

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Y1 v Y2 v Y3
« on: January 23, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
As the movers and shakers begin to fight for promotion or battle relegation, I wondered what peoples thoughts are on the gap separating the top 3 tiers of Yorkshire rugby.

Is there a major gap between the divisions that can only be filled through player recruitment or can promoted teams hold their own with the same squad albeit in a higher division?

I haven't personally been able to see any Y1 or Y3 rugby this season, but having had a couple of seasons at Y1 and now had the opportunity to see most teams at Y2, I feel there is quite a gulf in the quality of opposition.

Offline Ashrugby

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: Y1 v Y2 v Y3
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 06:36:13 PM »
It's worth looking at what's happened over the last few years.

Y2 to Y1 promotion every team that has gone up has stayed up the following season for about the last 7 or 8 years

Y1 to Y2 If Rish get promoted this year they will be the first team that got relegated from Y1 to go straight back up the following season
Some have gone back up after a couple of seasons and some have dropped further - such as Castleford and Knottingley

Y3 to Y2
Promotion from Y3 to Y2 has not always been easy
e.g. Halifax Vandals, Otliensians in the last 2 seasons went straight back down

Y2 to Y3
These teams have often come straight back up  in recent seasons as there have been some teams that have spent time yo-yoing been Y2 and Y3

Make of that what you will about relative strengths

Offline The Nomad

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:59:44 PM »
Shame you’ve not mentioned Yorkshire 4 either;

Certainly in recent seasons all promoted teams have gone pretty well - Wibsey and Ossett last season, plus Rotherham Phoenix and Leeds Corinthians the previous year. Corinthians potentially up again this season.

Stocksbridge and Leeds Medics struggled since their relegation 2 years ago and Leeds Mods not really faring much better.

Are Y3 and Y4 the closest? Granted there are a couple of teams in Y4 that would be well off the pace, but could most of the other teams show up alright against Y3 teams? Guess the challenge would be consistency rather than one-off games. Or is it a case of there having been a few Y3 standard teams in Y4 and vice versa, with it just taking a few years to sort itself out.

Offline Ribb Exile in Lancs

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 02:44:04 AM »
I agree there is quite a gulf between three Yorkshire divisions.
Y1 clubs promoted to NE1 would have little difficulty in surviving due to the weakness of the North Eastern clubs & relegated clubs other than the hapless YMCA would hold their own in Y1.
Likewise Y2 clubs promoted to Y1 should be comfortable.
Now here comes the controversial bit, Clubs in the lower echelons often have good seasons be it by player development or recruitment, but it's transitional, so let's respect these clubs for the work they do  providing access to the game. Yorkshire grass roots rugby is the best!