$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Scores feb 1 st

Author Topic: Scores feb 1 st  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Twenty4Twenty

• Finding my feet
  • Also one of the boys
    • View Profile
Re: Scores feb 1 st
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2020, 11:30:11 AM »
Did Turner play?
No and neither did our captain/hooker.Chris Moore returned from a stag weekend.so although we have a first class physio set up,it had no bearing on any of our 3 normal first team returning from injury.

So it was a different Turner named on the bench?

Offline Ed I Tackle

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2020, 11:55:36 AM »
Some interesting points..

But why is it sad that someone travels to receive payment? Isn't it just like a weekend job? Why is it so controversial? If he didn't make money from rugby be might have a milk round, or do more hours in a office or go shopping with his Mrs/Mr. What is the obsession with payment??

The trend with paying players at L6/7 is what is sad. The point about the lad travelling is more to do with a local team not being able to compete to attract a player who lives around the corner, to go an hour up the road for £200, to a team who sit 1 position (as of start of the day yesterday) higher than said local team. 

L5 and above sensible financial compensation for players is, in my opinion, necessary, as every other week often your full weekend is taken up representing your club, from early morning bus to arriving home to your family late.

Unfortunately that has trickled down to the levels below, and has created a generation of players (and owners/chairmen) who are hell bent on spending (sometimes) beyond their means to maintain an average level of rugby whilst not encouraging younger and local players to give it a go at their local club. The lack of 2/3/4th teams in the area is partial proof of this over the last 10 years or so. I appreciate there are several other factors in this also.

I just think playing for the love of the game is slowly disappearing. I'm sure most supporters at this level whilst enjoying seeing their side gain promotion/avoid relegation would prefer to see that with a team made up of local lads giving it their all for the love of their club, and rugby. I know there are exceptions to this and clubs have ambition, I just feel the balance has drifted towards the financial route too often and some sides would be better off to find their natural level and grow organically again.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2020, 12:04:38 PM »
Why level 5? Some clubs at level 6 and 7 have similar levels of travel and time away?

Are we really sure that if all payments stopped tomorrow more people would play rugby and lower teams would have more players? I think you have to go some way to evidence that....

I would prefer a game where nobody is paid. I have never taken a penny out of the game of rugby. However we have to be realistic and pragmatic ...the game is now open and normal market conditions exist.

And let's be honest there has always been payment in Rugby Union it may be slightly more prevalent now and above the table but it has always happened.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Woody

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2020, 09:55:57 PM »
Did Turner play?
No and neither did our captain/hooker.Chris Moore returned from a stag weekend.so although we have a first class physio set up,it had no bearing on any of our 3 normal first team returning from injury.

So it was a different Turner named on the bench?

Nope unfortunately there is only one Paul Turner. I hear he did have a twin, but soon after birth he punched him to death.

He was named on the bench while waiting for the result of the hearing. He got a 8 week ban and 60 hours community service. He has volunteered to spend this time teaching all the other loose heads in the league how to scrummage. So please get your names down quick as the list is almost full.

Offline Ed I Tackle

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2020, 05:02:27 PM »
Why level 5? Some clubs at level 6 and 7 have similar levels of travel and time away?

Are we really sure that if all payments stopped tomorrow more people would play rugby and lower teams would have more players? I think you have to go some way to evidence that....

I would prefer a game where nobody is paid. I have never taken a penny out of the game of rugby. However we have to be realistic and pragmatic ...the game is now open and normal market conditions exist.

And let's be honest there has always been payment in Rugby Union it may be slightly more prevalent now and above the table but it has always happened.

I appreciate there are exceptions to the rule, there always will be.

I did say it's only one element of the lack of participation in the game.

I agree it's the way the game is, I just don't believe it's in the best interest of the game as a whole. And certainly some of the amounts that have been banded around compared to the quality they are receiving leave a lot to be desired. But if people are prepared to pay it then so be it.

It has always been there in some capacity, it just seems to be happening more often nowadays.

Anyway, an interesting conversation point that I'm sure will be debated again in the future! And I'm sure mutual agreement will never be reached! Suppose life would be boring if we all got on though...

Offline Rob13

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 07:50:45 PM »
Crocs 43-Selby 7

A 6 try romp from a Crocs side on top form which Selby simply had no answer to and were made to look extremely average.
Pressure kicks from Crocs and resulting Selby back 3 errors of judgement led to the first three tries and at 21-0 at half time it was almost game over. Crocs forward play was impressive although Selby as expected came with a fairly decent scrum.

Great 80 metre interception debut try in the second half for Crocs
young winger promoted from the Second XV .

Crocs are starting to look good on the eye and the club is finally on the up it seems after a few years of freefall from being a mainstay of North East 1 to back to back relegation and barely surviving in Yorks 2. . Firsts on a 4 game winning streak and the Seconds on a 10 game winning streak.
The struggle at Crocs has always been a lack of junior setup bar a couple of teams here and there..making quality first team recruitment/player replacement difficult.
On that note a mention needs to be made to our Captain, Jack Hammond on his 300th Crocs First XV appearance today, quality effort and commitment to the club through good and difficult times.
The current form and recent bashing of Heath at home makes next weekends local derby at Brods very appetising.
What an advert for Halifax rugby if the top 3 Yorks 1 teams were Brods, Crocs and Heath in no particular order come season close of play. 😎

Speaking of your 2’s we (Ilkley 3’s) would like to arrange fixtures against you if possible as competitive fixtures in the division we are both in seem difficult to come by.

If you could drop me a PM on here or give me the relevant details of who to speak to it would be appreciated.