$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; End of the Championship..

End of the Championship..

This is a discussion for the topic End of the Championship.. on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: End of the Championship..  (Read 4992 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: February 12, 2020, 06:26:17 AM
Well, certainly the end of it as a full time professional entity.

The RFU and the Premiership have both announced big cuts in funding to The Championship. Many of us think this is sensible. There is little evidence at all that it provides a pathway into the top flight and it's very clear that England can't support a 2nd level of professional teams.

I think ALL direct funding other than travel should be scrapped below premiership and cash diverted to rugby development and ground improvements.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:29:56 AM
Not that I disagree with you, but reading the posts on the RFU twitter handle they are coming in for a verbal kicking.I haven't seen one post that agrees with the RFU.

Could this be linked with Francis Baron looking into where all the money had gone? The RFU certainly seems to have lost its way in the old guards eyes.

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 01:42:31 PM
No surprise really and a precursor to ring fencing the premiership.

Just a real shame there won't be a side from Yorkshire in it when it happens.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 04:51:23 PM
A big shame Dan, but the sooner they ring-fence themselves out of existence the better.

Oldandslow

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 05:28:40 PM
Yes it will lead to ring fencing the premiership.

But I don’t think the money saved will go into rugby development or ground improvements it will go firstly to improve and stabilise the RFU’s finances.

In the long term I expect the ring fenced premiership clubs to demand and get the majority of the money generated by for example the England team, they will need those extra revenue streams to pay dividends to the private equity firm who invested 200 million pounds for a 27% stake in premiership rugby.

ye olde 9

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 06:16:16 PM
I assume it would end up with 2 governing bodies like RL, this tied into the breakaway leagues will surely change the power pyramid. Currently the Lanc breakaway leagues, already more teams applied for entry next year, plus by all account cheshire following similar format

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...

Sail By

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:57:51 PM
BRB I would you suggest that you do more research into your comment regarding the pathway and England players. Was it 17 of the 23 from Saturday used the Championship within their development.

I would agree that clubs need to be more sustainable but don't underestimate the value of the Championship to young players.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 08:10:50 PM
It's not me saying that...it's the RFU and the Premiership. Read the report. I have no idea, I was just repeating what was said. However as you know I've never thought that a funded 2nd level makes economic sense with the size of our sport .

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 08:13:54 PM
However I accept they contradict themselves within the report.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 08:20:40 PM
"Sweeney said that the increase in funding to over £6m per season over the last four years had not resulted in any of the five strategic targets being met, including becoming a financial viable second tier - the clubs are losing £260,000 per year on average -  and developing English-qualified players for the Premiership and England teams.

He said that while the Championship would remain important for player development, it was no longer “the primary route for discovering and developing Premiership and England players of the future” following an analysis of the number of players who are breaking into national squads from the second tier."

Sail By

Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 09:15:47 PM
This year Sale have used a number of Championship clubs to give their younger players valuable game time in preparation for the England U20 Six Nations.

To prepare these future England players from now on they will have to really improve the A Team offerings from what it currently offers.

So whilst I agree that clubs should be more financially sustainable England Rugby need to acknowledge that it is a very valuable asset to have.

PlayOn

• Finding my feet
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 09:54:09 AM
What are the championship clubs doing that Brods and Scabs and countless others aren't in terms of growing the game outside the prem. How many will survive now just because the funding has been reduced is a pretty poor business model in any case and clubs like Orrell, Manchester, Halifax and Wakefield know the true cost of chasing a dream that doesn't really exist. Clubs were meant to spend money on facilities and improve infrastructure etc but other than a handful how many have done. Carnegies troubles is down to mismanagement which i'm sure has come into the decision making for this. There are clubs in Yorkshire with far better grounds than Ampthill, London Scottish, Nottingham etc which says it all but there won't be another Exeter any time soon.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 05:19:53 PM
This year Sale have used a number of Championship clubs to give their younger players valuable game time in preparation for the England U20 Six Nations.

To prepare these future England players from now on they will have to really improve the A Team offerings from what it currently offers.

So whilst I agree that clubs should be more financially sustainable England Rugby need to acknowledge that it is a very valuable asset to have.
A genuine question.... With tiny crowds, in some cases as low as grassroots rugby level, what chance does the Championship have of ever becoming financially sustainable?

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 05:27:07 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/12/furious-championship-rugby-clubs-considering-breakaway-league

If they do breakaway then we will soon see if they can be financially sustainable. If they don't break away it will be evident that they don't believe they can be. Either way, now they've made the ill-judged decision to threaten it, the outcome will soon be clear.