$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; End of the Championship..

End of the Championship..

This is a discussion for the topic End of the Championship.. on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: End of the Championship..  (Read 4970 times)

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 06:03:11 PM
Re financial sustainability I am not fully aware of incomings etc so will find that very hard to comment on.I agree that clubs need to look at this and from my experience of the two Yorkshire Championship clubs they have very different operating models.

My real issue is that we as Yorkshire need a high level club to help our young talent to progress as they can not move across to other academies after the age of 18 as they do not fall inside the salary cap exemption.

This will be very tough for lads 18-22 so they will leave the area. That is not good for Yorkshire rugby.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:11:24 PM by Sail By »

torquil

• Finding my feet
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 11:35:49 PM
The RFU have tried to ape professional Association Football. They have forgotten the wonderful product that is Rugby Union - it's not just the game. Bean counters are very blinkered, and the people who listen to them are very narrow minded,

Sad.

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 06:23:28 AM
Austin Healey makes some excellent points in the telegraph. And boy his words resonate with so many clubs around the North . We all know plenty of tatty run down s***holes that fly through the leagues......

"What you really want is an amateur scene where the money goes to coaches and into the infrastructure of clubs rather than into the back-pocket of players.

Let’s be quite frank, those players are going to need another job anyway. If there are a couple of people in your team who are bankers and lawyers, they probably are not going to be fussed about a couple of hundred quid.

Often you will go to community clubs that pay their players and the facilities will be dull and rusty. There are others that have invested in other channels, rather than bringing in an Austin Healey for 25 grand over 10 games, and look shinier for it.

You have to remember that a lot of these clubs have really good businessmen involved with them doing it for free. I like that element of it, to a certain extent. But, when the game went professional, I did always say that money would do its best to kill rugby."

I'd post the link but it's behind a pay wall...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 06:57:30 AM
Completely agree with Austin. Albeit, I still wouldn't feel right taking money as a coach when players were amateur even though it is virtually a second full time job and all consuming.

I will never forget when the money rolled in at Beverley and shaking my head. What was the point? They could never expand the ground due to its location so they'd never make the top two tiers of league rugby so what was the point? A vanity project of several sponsors who want to walk around the clubhouse being the big I am?

Thinking of the money some Bradford clubs have spent on players over the last 20 years. I heard one tale that Halauifa who went on to play for London Irish and Quins was on just shy of 50k plus a car and a house. Must be some truth in it, and that was in National 3 I think.

If you can't get in the premiership then what is the point in spending money on players in my view? You leave no legacy and often cause long term damage to the clubs.

baconears

• Finding my feet
Reply #19 on: February 14, 2020, 10:39:53 AM
What would the total operating budgets be for a championship club, and what would the salary cost be.

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 02:51:57 PM