$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; West Park Leeds

West Park Leeds

This is a discussion for the topic West Park Leeds on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: West Park Leeds  (Read 9043 times)

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
on: March 01, 2020, 07:23:19 PM
WPL are likely to drop in to Yorkshire 3... How is this possible?? For years as West Park Bramhope they were much higher up in the leagues and always formidable opposition. What could have gone so badly wrong that having been given such splendid facilities and from what I understand a reasonable dowry they seem to be in constant free fall.

Has anybody got any ideas why this is the case? Conventional wisdom would suggest that they should be motoring up the leagues..... There must be thousands of rugby players within a half hour journey of Bramhope.. one can only assume they are being run in a terrible manner.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Wakefield4

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 08:22:09 PM
With the facilities, mini and junior set up, amount of students living locally they should be one of the top clubs in Yorkshire.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 08:39:47 PM
Exactly....they should be second only to Doncaster and Rotherham (assuming Carnegie is a busted flush)

avinastella

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:06:44 PM
I can see Carnegie playing out of there soon
Possible amalgamation?
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

backrowbandit

• God
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 06:04:34 AM
Makes sense...

sliotar

• Forum old hand
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 02:09:07 PM
it's been a few years since i played against them but they seem to have no "core" membership driving the club. The land rover brigade bring the kids to WPL so they'll always had a good junior set up but once they reach colts and above there's no affinity to the club. You have numerous RL clubs and also Morley, Otley, Leos, Roundhegians, Moortown to name a few in the same area above them and investing in better coaches. When they were Y1 they lost a lot of players to $$. Students won't go there for the same reason above, better alternatives. i've always found the bar set up strange in that its one giant cold room with no atmosphere.  Never saw many stick about so again no team buy in.   

BenFairclough

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 02:21:18 PM
Heard a strong rumour that Otley will be playing out of West Park the season after next

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 02:21:31 PM
Whilst I understand the sentiment regards the facilities warranting a much higher level, I'd take issue with some of the views above. As West Park Bramhope they seemed to bounce around yorks 1-3 didn't they? I certainly played them in 2 and am sure I remember them being relegated to 3 at one point previously.

The few times we have played them at their place the atmosphere has been pretty good in the clubhouse with plenty of people. I got chatting to one of their committee members who was telling me no one keeps in touch with the colts as they go off to uni or to check who is staying in the area (2/3 years ago so may be different now). They are surrounded by clubs that pay players though and I do know of several who moved on to try and play at a higher level and earn some coin.

They tried paying for a 'better coach' who had been reasonably successful at a higher level. Apparently his first words at preseason training after they had been relegated from Yorkshire 1, before he took over, completely alienated all the players and some left straight away.

They just need a good core of colts to come through and am sure they will be back up soon.  Albeit I can certainly see Stella being correct although am not sure how that would work for the current players and whether that means they'll become a second team in the merit leagues?

avinastella

Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 03:59:35 PM
Possible amalgamation?
Assuming of course that Carnegie still exist at the end of the season.
They have no money, no income, only mercenary players, no feeder system, no ground (reliant on Leeds RFL ) and they won't be able to afford next years rent. Little to no support.

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 04:07:53 PM
Possible amalgamation?
Assuming of course that Carnegie still exist at the end of the season.
They have no money, no income, only mercenary players, no feeder system, no ground (reliant on Leeds RFL ) and they won't be able to afford next years rent. Little to no support.

It is a disgrace that they have been allowed to ruin the club.

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 04:10:23 PM
with no facts or knowledge I am sure Carnegie will be fine - having heard one of the first interviews with Phil Davies when he mentioned Leeds Tykes I think something will happen this summer.

The RFU wants there to be a Yorkshire team in the top flight

avinastella

Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 04:35:20 PM
with no facts or knowledge I am sure Carnegie will be fine - having heard one of the first interviews with Phil Davies when he mentioned Leeds Tykes I think something will happen this summer.

The RFU wants there to be a Yorkshire team in the top flight
That'll be Doncaster then?

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 04:41:30 PM
why Doncaster?
there is no argument for one club more than any other.

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 05:28:52 PM
The fact that it has a mini / junior section, level 5 rugby, a BUCS academy team and probably the best venue for rugby in Yorkshire.

Let us think??

avinastella

Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 05:35:59 PM
why Doncaster?
there is no argument for one club more than any other.
The world doesn't revolve around Leeds.
Carnegie somehow manged to hoodwink the RFU at the end of last season. I think you'll find the sympathy pot is empty as far as Carnegie are concerned.

And Sail By gives very good reasons as to why Doncaster.
What do Carnegie offer in comparison?