$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; West Park Leeds

West Park Leeds

This is a discussion for the topic West Park Leeds on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: West Park Leeds  (Read 9042 times)

neverplayedstandoff

• Deputy Moderator
  • A little respect please...
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 06:16:22 PM
Not been to Doncaster, but when down at Twickenham for England v Ireland watched a bit of the ladies game on the big screen which was played at Doncaster.
The facilities looked impressive as good if not better than some Premiership grounds.
Y1 Pundits league winner 2010/11 seems a long time ago

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 06:43:17 PM
I played at the club through Colts and then for a few years in the 3’s when I relocated to the area and was always a decent club to play at.Tony Smith running the 3’s had a good handle on keeping in touch with Colts and Uni players along with Sam and Clith who ran the 2’s who were always really strong.

I think a few years back a few of the players followed Kris Stafford to Otliensians and that was the end of the so called stalwarts in the 1st team.They’ve suffered since with changes in personnel and seem heavily reliant on students coming in?

It’s true sides in the area do pay and offer impressive packages,look at Leo’s-free kit,beer and taxis to games what’s not to like?Theres no shock they’ve suddenly started turning out 3 teams following years of only scraping 2 sides out.

As for Moortown something seems to attract folk there..

Back to West Park, they seem to be pushing their ladies section heavily in their push for the Premiership so maybe their efforts are there these days?

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 07:59:50 PM
WPL also hosted the original version of our forum, which many won't be aware of, so respect to them at least for that!
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 08:03:24 PM
Indeed they did - run by the first team prop if I remember correctly?
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Memory_Man

• Legend
Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 08:38:11 PM
I played at the club through Colts and then for a few years in the 3’s when I relocated to the area and was always a decent club to play at.Tony Smith running the 3’s had a good handle on keeping in touch with Colts and Uni players along with Sam and Clith who ran the 2’s who were always really strong.

I think a few years back a few of the players followed Kris Stafford to Otliensians and that was the end of the so called stalwarts in the 1st team.They’ve suffered since with changes in personnel and seem heavily reliant on students coming in?

It’s true sides in the area do pay and offer impressive packages,look at Leo’s-free kit,beer and taxis to games what’s not to like?Theres no shock they’ve suddenly started turning out 3 teams following years of only scraping 2 sides out.

As for Moortown something seems to attract folk there..

Back to West Park, they seem to be pushing their ladies section heavily in their push for the Premiership so maybe their efforts are there these days?

Maybe playing several leagues higher is just the start of what attracts players to Moortown over the mighty WPL!

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 09:30:36 AM
i know there is more than just league status that attracts players to moortown.

but unlike many of you think its not money for playing.

the off the field social is as good as any club i have been involved with. players have the opportunity express them selves and concentrate on their rugby. its a forward thinking club and i am not surprise it is reaping success across the board

Dan Nulty

• Legend
Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 01:10:10 PM

the off the field social is as good as any club i have been involved with. players have the opportunity express them selves and concentrate on their rugby. its a forward thinking club and i am not surprise it is reaping success across the board

*not just the money

Good luck to Moortown, clearly deserve their success and play good rugby. I'd issue a caution a la Beverley and Bees who after spending fortunes have 3nded up back where they were, Bees were even a level below at one point. Carl has done a great job restoring the club when it was on its knees. I just hope it is sustainable if he ever decides to stop funding the playing squad. Looks like another promotion beckoning.

Memory_Man

• Legend
Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 06:58:54 PM

*not just the money

Good luck to Moortown, clearly deserve their success and play good rugby. I'd issue a caution a la Beverley and Bees who after spending fortunes have 3nded up back where they were, Bees were even a level below at one point. Carl has done a great job restoring the club when it was on its knees. I just hope it is sustainable if he ever decides to stop funding the playing squad. Looks like another promotion beckoning.

Well it’s a good job you’re talking absolute nonsense then isn’t it :)

Roll Away

• Finding my feet
Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 08:07:44 PM
Mmm not sure where to start with them. Every experience I have had as a player, ref and junior parent has made me question the whole club ethos and their understanding of the core values.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 08:51:46 PM
Moortown or WPL?
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Roll Away

• Finding my feet
Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 09:29:10 PM
WPL

cynic

• One of the boys
Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 12:20:54 AM

[come on Mink next you’ll be saying no one got paid at Brods when you were there, at terrible levels, average players are getting paid now, you’re doing it well so take the plaudits.]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:05:27 AM by backrowbandit »

Mink

• Forum old hand
Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 12:14:11 PM
I think there is this opinion that players get paid and i dont think many actually do

oneoftheoldfarts

• One of the boys
Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 09:04:54 AM
Mink, take the blinkers off lad.

BenFairclough

Reply #29 on: March 06, 2020, 09:16:01 AM
If anyone knows Carl, Curtis and Hendrie who own / run Moortown you would know how tight they are with money

I am sure they would drive nicer cars / buy more properties then fund an above average side.

Most of our starting side was the same side we had in Yorkshire 2

Only player to get paid was me last year at £500 a game but keep that a secret please