$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; What happens if the Season finishes early?

Author Topic: What happens if the Season finishes early?  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
What happens if the Season finishes early?
« on: March 13, 2020, 12:46:34 PM »
I am sure there will be some anoraks out there who may know the answer to this question, was there some precedence set with the foot and mouth outbreak?

At tops i think we will do well to get to the end of March before the Corona virus decimates all amateur sport, personally i suspect we will do well to get through the next 2 weekends before sides are adversely affected by the virus.

So if the RFU suspend and postpone the fixtures and leagues, will the league positions on the day the suspension is called count towards promotion and relegation or will it be this season is erased as such and we start again in the same leagues next season?
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Offline Wakefield4

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if the Season finishes early?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 01:08:17 PM »
Just having a similar conversation in my office with a football referee and coach.  Can see lots of options, do you promote a team if they are running away with a league, not relegate a team and have four go down the next season instead of three?  Current league positions stand?  Season null and void?  Did read (twitter I think) that a result in a game can stand if game called off after a certain amount of minutes are played i.e. a percentage of the match, could this principle be the same for an entire season as percentage of games played?

Or do we get Duckworth Lewis involved?!!!!  YM may go up under them and York go down!  Best wishes to all clubs, teams and players this weekend.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 02:12:11 PM »
I've read up on it and the regs are very clear:

- in the event of the league competition not being completed the following will be the default position:

i. any club which requires a walk of more than 25m from clubhouse to pitch side will be relegated
ii. any club that hoovers shittt up off the pitch will be relegated
iii. any club with a sense of grandeur and superiority will be promoted..

Hope that helps ...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Dan Nulty

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 02:34:41 PM »
Personally don't see how they can go ahead with promotion and relegation but guess it is a case of wait and see. RFU latest statement is basically read public health England site. Helpful.

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 04:12:20 PM »
I've read up on it and the regs are very clear:

- in the event of the league competition not being completed the following will be the default position:

i. any club which requires a walk of more than 25m from clubhouse to pitch side will be relegated
ii. any club that hoovers shittt up off the pitch will be relegated
iii. any club with a sense of grandeur and superiority will be promoted..

Hope that helps ...
So that is York, Cleck and Moortown relegated and Morley promoted!

That's a shame because i was rather hoping York would have the opportunity to smash Scarbs home and away again next season!
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 04:48:43 PM »
On a serious note..I think Easter will prove to be the critical point. As the school's break up then I can see the possibility of the entire next academic term being cancelled. If that happens I can't see sports matches continuing. But I could be completely wrong.

Whilst the competition rules give the organisers over-riders to do anything they want...I think they will be mindful of the unfairness of a club being relegated without being given the chance to play all their games.

Therefore it's likely there will be no relegation or promotion.  Good for some bad for others....but this is a time to keep matters in perspective. There is a reasonably high chance all clubs will lose members over the coming weeks/months.

From a personal point of view can I just say good luck to everyone and all clubs.

Offline maltyjruggers

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 04:51:16 PM »
My understanding is the season will be null and void if the remaining fixtures are cancelled. When is the RFU restructure due to take place again?  :o

Offline Ian1307

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 04:55:31 PM »
Not necessarily, quite a few options including a sort of 'pools panel'

Power to vary, disapply, amend or make further regulations during the season
13.1.3 In the event that the Committee considers it is in the interests of rugby union football
or an RFU Competition, it may amend or vary RFU Regulation 13 and the Appendices
and/or make further regulations during a Season:
(a) where in the view of the Committee exceptional and material circumstances
have occurred during any RFU Competition which either have not been
provided for or cannot be equitably dealt with under RFU Regulation 13
(particularly if promotion or relegation is likely to be materially affected), the
Committee may at its own instigation introduce regulations for the current
Season and/or determine the results of matches that have not been played for
reasons related to the above exceptional and material circumstances and/or
determine which Clubs should or should not be relegated)

Offline backrowbandit

• God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »
I think whatever they decide we should respect the fact that it will be a willing group of volunteers doing their best in very difficult circumstances. Any decision will be made in good faith.

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »
I think whatever they decide we should respect the fact that it will be a willing group of volunteers doing their best in very difficult circumstances. Any decision will be made in good faith.

Thanks.

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 05:37:52 PM »
Just in.
"...Further to my email earlier please see the following statement in relation to Clarification on Fixture Postponements affected by Covid-19 – please note this applies to this weekend’s games only.

Please can you distribute as appropriate within your DOC/NCA network.

RFU’s Marketing Team are sending the same message to clubs (via the Community Game Update distribution list), CB’s and referee associations.

Thanks for your patients today and please feel free to ring me if you have any questions over the weekend.

Kind regards

Paul

Clarification on Fixture Postponements affected by Covid-19
We would like to provide clarification on the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in organised competitions.

The government yesterday announced that there is no change in advice regarding sporting events at the moment i.e. they can continue. Given this, league and cup games planned for this weekend will played as usual.  However we recognise that competition organisers, players and clubs are seeking advice on specific details, so the RFU’s position is that in the event of situations where:

(a) Covid-19 case or cases have been reported or suspected in relation to player and/or individuals connected to a club (or closely connected to a club, player or such other individual connected to a club); and/or
(b) such individuals are subject to the Governmental advice to self-isolate;

Postponements of fixtures involving the clubs will be permitted as a justifiable reason for postponement, subject to clubs notifying the opposition and the competition organiser of the postponement (in accordance with competition organisers’ instructions). The RFU regulations will continue to apply.   

We will keep this under continual review and will be assessing the situation over the weekend in line with latest Government advice.  If there are any planned changes to the future playing of the league and cup programmes this will be communicated to clubs and participants as soon as possible."

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Rob

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »
B&B- M&N OFF. flood damage.

Offline Driffield Bulldog

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 08:24:49 PM »
Carry on as normal

Offline Memory_Man

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 08:35:50 PM »

Why have they not foreseen this and arranged a 4g?

Offline Driffield Bulldog

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 09:27:05 PM »

Sums them up