$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; What happens if the Season finishes early?

Author Topic: What happens if the Season finishes early?  (Read 12447 times)

Offline Rugby01

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if the Season finishes early?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 07:18:58 PM »
Backrowbandit

I've read up on it and the regs are very clear:

- in the event of the league competition not being completed the following will be the default position:

i. any club which requires a walk of more than 25m from clubhouse to pitch side will be relegated
ii. any club that hoovers shittt up off the pitch will be relegated
iii. any club with a sense of grandeur and superiority will be promoted..

Hope that helps ...

I could not find the regulations to which BRB refers.

However, I did find a little information on Wikipedia – ref National Division 3 North : Level 4 2000-01

The foot-and-mouth outbreak made relegation far from straightforward as initially the bottom two were Aspatria and Tynedale, who had played 18 games each - less than any of the other teams in the division. In Tynedale's case this was particularly hard as they were only 1 point behind 12th placed Sandal but had played six games less. In the end the RFU had to re-think relegation and used a complicated process based on early season form which meant that 14th placed Aspatria and 11th placed Walsall went down.[3][6] Aspatria dropped to North Division 1 while Walsall went into Midlands Division 1

Both Aspatria and Walsall appealed, but with no success.

Also found this on Old Rishworthians web site

In the 2000/01 season they came joint second, again coached by Peter Walker and captaincy of Daz Wade. Promotion was thwarted by the RFU imposing the "foot and mouth ruling" when calculating its position in the league, and the Club lost out by one hundredth of a point.

Offline Chief Selector

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 09:13:26 AM »
I have a feeling that we have played our last game of the season boys..... Im no scare monger but as the Welsh RFU have already placed a temporary halt to all armature sport, the governments plan is to flatten the peak by extending the virus timescale into May/June and more importantly front five forwards in particular are sharing bodily fluids there is an inevitability that some form of halt will apply.

Not sure 'Null and void' is the right answer after all in our league (Yorkshire One) we have already played 85% of the season and the shape of the league now will be the same at the end. 'A good indication of what someone will do in the future is what they have done in the past'.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2020, 10:13:31 AM »
I agree - last games played likely.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2020, 01:34:35 PM »
I hope for YM's sake they are allowed to go down. I wouldn't like to think that had to go through the season from hell again.

As for York they are still likely to be champions and if there is no promotion they will be able to be champions again next season, so win win!!
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Offline Johnosjstrap

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2020, 04:05:46 PM »
Ilkley are down from Northern Premier, York def up from N1E, North West nowhere near decided so in theory could York and Ilkley not swap?

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2020, 07:47:24 PM »
Ilkley are down from Northern Premier, York def up from N1E, North West nowhere near decided so in theory could York and Ilkley not swap?
I suspect PS and his counterparts will be lining up a legal challenge if that happens. You can’t say three teams won’t go into administration and their respective points deductions save Ilkley.
Or are Ilkley admitting the semi professional experiment did not work?

Offline Ian1307

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 08:21:48 PM »
Breakaway NW Leagues have cancelled all games and league tables as they are now will be seen as final positions. Interesting.

Offline omigidiant

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2020, 11:23:41 PM »
Breakaway NW Leagues have cancelled all games and league tables as they are now will be seen as final positions. Interesting.

I'm guessing you mean the ADM Lancashire League who are in a position to do that as they only have 2 divisions and the top of their Premier league has nowhere to be promoted to and the bottom of the 1st division has nowhere to be relegated to so the 20 teams just play between themselves in 2 leagues. Not a very satisfactory set up in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:25:33 PM by omigidiant »
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline leg

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
Disgraceful. They should be doing all they can to encourage the disease expansion in the younger population group as rapidly as possible, surely.
There is some logic in this comment.
The quicker we expose the youngsters to this virus, the quicker they will recover from it and so long as they are no longer infectious after recovering, they will be less of a threat, to grandparents etc.

ah, another pandemic expert...... ::)

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 08:29:39 PM »
Disgraceful. They should be doing all they can to encourage the disease expansion in the younger population group as rapidly as possible, surely.
There is some logic in this comment.
The quicker we expose the youngsters to this virus, the quicker they will recover from it and so long as they are no longer infectious after recovering, they will be less of a threat, to grandparents etc.

ah, another pandemic expert...... ::)
I wish! I'm afraid its going to be like having a 9 month cricket season, the bonus being without the cricket!!

Offline ye olde 9

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 10:02:15 PM »
Omi, I know they only have 2 leagues but a least a decision. Also with respect if you are 85% through a season and still haven't established whether you are any good or not, you aren't !

Offline Johnosjstrap

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 10:39:48 PM »
Omi, I know they only have 2 leagues but a least a decision. Also with respect if you are 85% through a season and still haven't established whether you are any good or not, you aren't !

And if you havent worked out that in some divisions, where half the teams may go down as it's so tight, which would make choosing 3 of them without completing all the matches grossly unfair, you are plainly beyond ignorant.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:42:32 PM by Johnosjstrap »

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 11:14:38 PM »
1) no promotion or relegation

2) no guarantee that the season will start in September.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline omigidiant

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 11:21:05 PM »

And if you havent worked out that in some divisions, where half the teams may go down as it's so tight, which would make choosing 3 of them without completing all the matches grossly unfair, you are plainly beyond ignorant.

Not quite sure whether that comment was meant for me or Olde 9 but assume it was me. The point I was trying to make was that it was far easier for Lancashire to make a quick decision based on their 2 division league system where promotion and relegation was very limited rather than say Yorkshire where the decision would have to cover promotion and relegation over 5 leagues and affects many many more clubs irrespective of what the decision was that they came to. My comment on it not being a satisfactory set up was meant to refer to the very limiting 2 league Lancashire League system being too restrictive on competition and not the decision that was taken by them.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline Oldandslow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2020, 07:06:12 AM »
DAA

It’s actually going to be a six month cricket season April to September with cricket.

My plan to keep the population happy is for counties to play games behind closed doors. Many counties get so few spectators that any loss of revenue will be minimal.

Games to all be shown live on free view tv viewing compulsory.