$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; What happens if the Season finishes early?

Author Topic: What happens if the Season finishes early?  (Read 12449 times)

Offline Dan Nulty

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if the Season finishes early?
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2020, 07:37:38 AM »
You'd have thought the sensible thing to do after the foot and mouth disease issue would have been to add a regulation in that if the season has to finish early then league tables will finish as they stand. For games in hand you are awarded points depending on your win percentage: I. E 1 pt for 25%, 2 pts for 50%, 3 pts for 75%.

At least there would be certainty for everyone, especially those with playing budgets.

Maybe next time.

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2020, 08:55:51 AM »
DAA

It’s actually going to be a six month cricket season April to September with cricket.

My plan to keep the population happy is for counties to play games behind closed doors. Many counties get so few spectators that any loss of revenue will be minimal.

Games to all be shown live on free view tv viewing compulsory.
OS thanks for that. I am aware how long the cricket season is. I suspect that it may well be the New Year at the earliest before any meaningful sport takes place.
Hopefully not...
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Offline stubbs

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2020, 10:01:39 AM »
ADMINISTRATION.

Will clubs that rely on bar takings end up in the same position as Huddersfield YMCA?  bearing in mind the advice to not attend pubs and

clubs. I don't envisage the RFU being in a position to help out.

Offline Pristine Shorts

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2020, 10:50:17 AM »
Not biting on the semi-pro jibe, but Ilkley have had a dreadful season, along the lines of YMCA, but without the big points deduction. Having accepted our relegation last Saturday, we can hardly complain if and when it happens.

We have not been able to compete in North Premier, this season ( our 5th ) as our results demonstrate and clearly, York have had a brilliant time of it. From a personal point of view, York should be promoted and it would not be beneficial to our Club to stay in NP.

All things being equal, I’m genuinely looking forward to meeting old friends again in N1E : I just hope we have a proper season to play through.

Offline DAVE CAMPBELL The Boro Scribe

• One of the boys
  • nolite te bastardes carborundorum
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2020, 12:15:18 PM »
Due to health reasons this is the first time I’ve been on here for several seasons I think. I’ve been alarmed to read the juvenile and insulting exchanges on the forum of late. How refreshing it is to read the truthful, measured and mature post from pristine shorts. I’m not an old Fuddy duddy; but could we just get back to what unites us all; the love of rugby. Now into the second half of my septuagenarian decade I look to continue meeting all my rugby friends at the Silver Royd gin palace and elsewhere when I can travel,  if the powers that be Let me!

Offline neverplayedstandoff

• Deputy Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2020, 02:42:20 PM »
Dave
Without wishing you Ill is that the powers that be or the power that be?
PS nice to hear you are hopefully on the mend, being a member of your club as it were.
Y1 Pundits league winner 2010/11 seems a long time ago

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2020, 02:45:12 PM »
ADMINISTRATION.

Will clubs that rely on bar takings end up in the same position as Huddersfield YMCA?  bearing in mind the advice to not attend pubs and

clubs. I don't envisage the RFU being in a position to help out.
My understanding is there may be processes put in place to assist, probably depends on the legal structure of the club as to entitlement.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Pristine Shorts

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2020, 04:00:43 PM »
Thank you for your kind remarks, Dave and I hope you get to feel a lot better very soon.

Incidentally, I think we as a Club voted to return to two NE Leagues, but who knows what will happen after all this ?

Offline DAVE CAMPBELL The Boro Scribe

• One of the boys
  • nolite te bastardes carborundorum
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2020, 09:06:53 AM »
Shorts,

I’ve got everything crossed and hoping for the best outcome for all, rugby-wise.

Offline The Show Pony

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
1) no promotion or relegation

2) no guarantee that the season will start in September.

Is this the decision or a prediction?

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2020, 11:48:14 AM »
Just a prediction...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline avinastella

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »
It would appear no decisions have yet been made
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Ashrugby

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2020, 05:45:00 PM »
Given that the season was close to finishing and with most teams only having 4 games left it would seem reasonably sensible to take the current position as the final position.
In fact there are a few teams who are already promoted/relegated and a few others who are so close it is realistic to assume they would have been promoted/relegated in the next couple of games.

However, that would still leave a few close calls where it is difficult to predict which team would be relegated/promoted and in these cases the fairest way would be to double up the points from the result from the earlier game in the season. Nothing is going to be totally fair but at least that means every game is accounted for in some way

The hardest decision would be about play offs for promotion to NE1 and North - perhaps that would mean only 2 teams relegated from these leagues and 2 teams go up - the current league leader in each feeder league. It would certainly solve the difficult issue at the bottom of NE1

I think the worst thing would be to make it a null and void season as you would leave teams struggling in a league for a second season that need to go down and teams that got promoted held back

You could decide to use this time to go to 10/12 team leagues but I think that needs a more thought out approach

Offline Rob

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2020, 07:06:31 PM »
However, that would still leave a few close calls where it is difficult to predict which team would be relegated/promoted and in these cases the fairest way would be to double up the points from the result from the earlier game in the season. Nothing is going to be totally fair but at least that means every game is accounted for in some way

Giving M & N 22 points out of the 25 available bring it on.

Offline stubbs

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2020, 12:53:56 PM »
BBC text RFU informing that season is over for all clubs below Premiership.  Nothing to suggest what happens next!