$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; congratulations to york

congratulations to york

This is a discussion for the topic congratulations to york on the board Regional One (North East).

Author Topic: congratulations to york  (Read 16567 times)

stubbs

• One of the boys
on: April 03, 2020, 08:58:53 PM
On the balance of the season York deserved promotion and towards the end when the backs clicked looked unstoppable. However next

season will be a different matter, our present squad will need strengthening, I saw all bar 2 games and we were exposed in various

departments at times, although there were few opposition players who I thought would make a big difference to Yorks' 15.

As has proved this season with jon franks (Northallerton), cade robinson (Scarborough) and john akeman (moved back to area) if you are

good enough you will get a chance. All 3 played 18 or more games.   

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 07:19:17 AM
Yes good luck to York very worthy winners.

It will be interesting how you get on. You will lose Cade as his 2 year visa is up. Hopefully you'll keep the rest of your players.

Rugby union is going to be a very different game going forward. Very little money circulating in the game now so will be interesting to see what effect that has on some players.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Ian1307

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 11:35:53 AM
Thanks very much BRB for your congratulations, we will certainly take them.

However, as with some of your other comments about York, the paragraph on one of our player's visa is misinformed. 

Can I just take this opportunity, on behalf of all at York RUFC, to wish everyone a peaceful and healthy close season and that when this is all over (which it will be) we can get back to playing, watching and supporting our clubs in the same passionate way we have before.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 01:16:34 PM
Congratulations to all associated with York RUFC. A fantastic achievement built on the players who came through the Youth section. Big challenges ahead!

Lets hope that the powers that be at the club do not lose sight of what has been the foundation of a very good side and we learn our lessons, that a strong well coached youth section do ultimately bare fruits for the senior sides!!
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 02:03:08 PM

However, as with some of your other comments about York, the paragraph on one of our player's visa is misinformed. 

Can I just take this opportunity, on behalf of all at York RUFC, to wish everyone a peaceful and healthy close season and that when this is all over (which it will be) we can get back to playing, watching and supporting our clubs in the same passionate way we have before.

You forget we have a photocopy of it!
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Ian1307

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 04:14:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, but we have got this.

Oldandslow

Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 04:17:26 PM
Congratulations to York. Just reflecting how the game and clubs fortunes are changing with York promoted and the once high flying Otley relegated they will be playing at the same level next season.

Just shows you now have to get the fundamentals right and build a sustainable club from the bottom up.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 04:27:29 PM
The demoted Clubs tend to do well, as they are almost always - no, always - semi-pro. Harrogate can consider themselves lucky to have leapfrogged Sandal and Macclesfield to return to Nat2N.

York will find it tough, as most promoted teams do. Morpeth and Carlisle have gone straight back down and Alnwick escaped going down after their second season by the skin of their teeth.

However, all that is based on this last season. I suspect the new season is going to be very different indeed.

All the best to York and enjoy the trip !

Dropkicker

• Forum old hand
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 08:48:30 PM
Promotion twice in 3 years is a fantastic achievement and congratulations to all involved, players, coaches and administration. Staying up will be difficult but is well within our means. Most certainly we will need to strengthen the squad, however the vast majority of the the squad with further development are capable of playing in North Prem. If we stay relatively injury free, strengthen in the right areas and perhaps most importantly the players commit to what this step up in league will demand we will be ok.
Next season we will only have 2 other teams from Yorkshire in our league (Sandal & Otley, yes Otley, who would have thought that 3 years ago with I believe 4 levels between us) and 9 trips across the Pennines. These will involve all day trips with early starts and late returns, how are wives and girlfriends going to accept that. Putting rugby ahead of personal life for 8 months of the year is a big ask. Finding the balance and communicating availability and honouring there commitment will be key. The powers that be I understand are addressing all this, but player buy in to what the club is doing is paramount.
We will also now be playing rugby at one level below Rotherham and Hull Ionians, if you add Otley to this list these are all team that have often approached our key players. Key players that have remained loyal to York and are now enjoying all fruits of their and the clubs hard work and ambitions.
Maybe just maybe some of these teams players may want to be part of what we have built and are looking to achieve. After all we are at the centre of Yorkshire and are arguably the county’s capital.
I was asked today did we want to be promoted, to right we do, the vast majority at the club share my view, those running the team certainly do, 100% the players did. If more members become further involved more closely then let’s see where we can go. As a club in the early 80’s we got to then level 5, we couldn’t sustain those heady heights. Let’s get it right this time.

stubbs

• One of the boys
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 11:04:24 AM
Dropkicker,

Agree entirely with your sentiments, but for injuries we would have been much closer last season. I remember before leagues we used to play, Rotherham, Sandal, Ionians, Scunthorpe and after that money has taken over. Only time I can remember playing at Otley was with
Morley colts though. If we can finish mid table that will be an achievement, although I do think there are still one or two of our ex colts
who might fancy a crack at this level and you never know who might turn up. Looking at next seasons away trips most are close to
motorways and accessible within an hour and a half, only like going to B+B 

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 11:55:31 AM
Promotion twice in 3 years is a fantastic achievement and congratulations to all involved, players, coaches and administration. Staying up will be difficult but is well within our means. Most certainly we will need to strengthen the squad, however the vast majority of the the squad with further development are capable of playing in North Prem. If we stay relatively injury free, strengthen in the right areas and perhaps most importantly the players commit to what this step up in league will demand we will be ok.
Next season we will only have 2 other teams from Yorkshire in our league (Sandal & Otley, yes Otley, who would have thought that 3 years ago with I believe 4 levels between us) and 9 trips across the Pennines. These will involve all day trips with early starts and late returns, how are wives and girlfriends going to accept that. Putting rugby ahead of personal life for 8 months of the year is a big ask. Finding the balance and communicating availability and honouring there commitment will be key. The powers that be I understand are addressing all this, but player buy in to what the club is doing is paramount.
We will also now be playing rugby at one level below Rotherham and Hull Ionians, if you add Otley to this list these are all team that have often approached our key players. Key players that have remained loyal to York and are now enjoying all fruits of their and the clubs hard work and ambitions.
Maybe just maybe some of these teams players may want to be part of what we have built and are looking to achieve. After all we are at the centre of Yorkshire and are arguably the county’s capital.
I was asked today did we want to be promoted, to right we do, the vast majority at the club share my view, those running the team certainly do, 100% the players did. If more members become further involved more closely then let’s see where we can go. As a club in the early 80’s we got to then level 5, we couldn’t sustain those heady heights. Let’s get it right this time.
DK the time previously that York got to this level many of the players couldn't get their boots on due the the thickness of brown envelopes in them!! and when they could get them on they bxggered off!!
The temptation to bring players in other than your own home grown talent, especially from teams from higher leagues, will be expensive and divisive!!
In the chasing of signings, don't overlook what has got you to where you are! 
Otherwise you might lose the support of the players, who have chosen to return to York rather than chase a pay day shilling!!

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 01:01:30 PM
Maybe you could now breathe some life into the one section of the forum that is in desperate need of it!
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Bestboy

• Finding my feet
Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 01:17:29 PM

You forget we have a photocopy of it!

Wow! you kept it?? thought you lined that dog basket with it??

avinastella

Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 01:42:10 PM
Looking at next seasons away trips most are close to
Updates to the Northern Region Google map in hand.

And DDA, no, i really don't have anything better to do this time.  :)
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Dark Arts Advocate

Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 06:11:25 PM
Looking at next seasons away trips most are close to
Updates to the Northern Region Google map in hand.

And DDA, no, i really don't have anything better to do this time.  :)
AVS my old pal! Have you started on the wife beater a little earlier than usual? ADA hic!