$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; congratulations to york

Author Topic: congratulations to york  (Read 6031 times)

Offline Dropkicker

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
Re: congratulations to york
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
Promotion twice in 3 years is a fantastic achievement and congratulations to all involved, players, coaches and administration. Staying up will be difficult but is well within our means. Most certainly we will need to strengthen the squad, however the vast majority of the the squad with further development are capable of playing in North Prem. If we stay relatively injury free, strengthen in the right areas and perhaps most importantly the players commit to what this step up in league will demand we will be ok.
Next season we will only have 2 other teams from Yorkshire in our league (Sandal & Otley, yes Otley, who would have thought that 3 years ago with I believe 4 levels between us) and 9 trips across the Pennines. These will involve all day trips with early starts and late returns, how are wives and girlfriends going to accept that. Putting rugby ahead of personal life for 8 months of the year is a big ask. Finding the balance and communicating availability and honouring there commitment will be key. The powers that be I understand are addressing all this, but player buy in to what the club is doing is paramount.
We will also now be playing rugby at one level below Rotherham and Hull Ionians, if you add Otley to this list these are all team that have often approached our key players. Key players that have remained loyal to York and are now enjoying all fruits of their and the clubs hard work and ambitions.
Maybe just maybe some of these teams players may want to be part of what we have built and are looking to achieve. After all we are at the centre of Yorkshire and are arguably the county’s capital.
I was asked today did we want to be promoted, to right we do, the vast majority at the club share my view, those running the team certainly do, 100% the players did. If more members become further involved more closely then let’s see where we can go. As a club in the early 80’s we got to then level 5, we couldn’t sustain those heady heights. Let’s get it right this time.
DK the time previously that York got to this level many of the players couldn't get their boots on due the the thickness of brown envelopes in them!! and when they could get them on they bxggered off!!
The temptation to bring players in other than your own home grown talent, especially from teams from higher leagues, will be expensive and divisive!!
In the chasing of signings, don't overlook what has got you to where you are! 
Otherwise you might lose the support of the players, who have chosen to return to York rather than chase a pay day shilling!!

Don’t want to dwell to much on the past DAA our team back then consisted of 8/9 of a colts team from 8/10 years earlier....4/5 of us tried our hand at senior clubs and then came back...does that ring bells with what’s happen in the last 2/3 years....and the majority of others moved to the area through work, Nigel Connell ex Morley, John Ainslie ex Selkirk to name just 2 they certainly didn’t come for money.....granted we did get a few quid in our boots but nothing to the extent you allude to....nor should it happen to the extent you suggest.
We should bring as many home grown players through the youth section and we will , after all it is arguably the best in Yorkshire.....as for recruiting other players.....yes we should.....how it’s is done is the key.....I’m pretty sure our existing players want to continue to be part of a successful team in a successful club.....they need to buy into this and hopefully accept that it will enable them to continue to play at this level and maybe higher still...more experienced players will help them develop their skill set even further...they should not see it as a threat to their position in the squad they should see it as a challenge....they only need to look at the experience our current backs coach brought to the club to see that at first hand......just one further thing DAA how many players are playing at Otley, Hull I’s and Rotherham that came through our youth section...may be they will return like others already have and finally how many others living in York travel to these clubs to play.... depends on everyone’s ambition as to where we end up

Offline avinastella

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 08:10:28 PM »
Looking at next seasons away trips most are close to
motorways and accessible within an hour and a half, only like going to B+B
Updates to the Northern Region Google map in hand.

And DDA, no, i really don't have anything better to do this time.  :)
AVS my old pal! Have you started on the wife beater a little earlier than usual? ADA hic!
ooh, just you wait Typo radar switched on to max.  :) :)
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his smack had talc in it.

Offline Dark Arts Advocate

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
Promotion twice in 3 years is a fantastic achievement and congratulations to all involved, players, coaches and administration. Staying up will be difficult but is well within our means. Most certainly we will need to strengthen the squad, however the vast majority of the the squad with further development are capable of playing in North Prem. If we stay relatively injury free, strengthen in the right areas and perhaps most importantly the players commit to what this step up in league will demand we will be ok.
Next season we will only have 2 other teams from Yorkshire in our league (Sandal & Otley, yes Otley, who would have thought that 3 years ago with I believe 4 levels between us) and 9 trips across the Pennines. These will involve all day trips with early starts and late returns, how are wives and girlfriends going to accept that. Putting rugby ahead of personal life for 8 months of the year is a big ask. Finding the balance and communicating availability and honouring there commitment will be key. The powers that be I understand are addressing all this, but player buy in to what the club is doing is paramount.
We will also now be playing rugby at one level below Rotherham and Hull Ionians, if you add Otley to this list these are all team that have often approached our key players. Key players that have remained loyal to York and are now enjoying all fruits of their and the clubs hard work and ambitions.
Maybe just maybe some of these teams players may want to be part of what we have built and are looking to achieve. After all we are at the centre of Yorkshire and are arguably the county’s capital.
I was asked today did we want to be promoted, to right we do, the vast majority at the club share my view, those running the team certainly do, 100% the players did. If more members become further involved more closely then let’s see where we can go. As a club in the early 80’s we got to then level 5, we couldn’t sustain those heady heights. Let’s get it right this time.
DK the time previously that York got to this level many of the players couldn't get their boots on due the the thickness of brown envelopes in them!! and when they could get them on they bxggered off!!
The temptation to bring players in other than your own home grown talent, especially from teams from higher leagues, will be expensive and divisive!!
Otherwise you might lose the support of the players, who have chosen to return to York rather than chase a pay day shilling!!

Don’t want to dwell to much on the past DAA our team back then consisted of 8/9 of a colts team from 8/10 years earlier....4/5 of us tried our hand at senior clubs and then came back...does that ring bells with what’s happen in the last 2/3 years....and the majority of others moved to the area through work, Nigel Connell ex Morley, John Ainslie ex Selkirk to name just 2 they certainly didn’t come for money.....granted we did get a few quid in our boots but nothing to the extent you allude to....nor should it happen to the extent you suggest.
We should bring as many home grown players through the youth section and we will , after all it is arguably the best in Yorkshire.....as for recruiting other players.....yes we should.....how it’s is done is the key.....I’m pretty sure our existing players want to continue to be part of a successful team in a successful club.....they need to buy into this and hopefully accept that it will enable them to continue to play at this level and maybe higher still...more experienced players will help them develop their skill set even further...they should not see it as a threat to their position in the squad they should see it as a challenge....they only need to look at the experience our current backs coach brought to the club to see that at first hand......just one further thing DAA how many players are playing at Otley, Hull I’s and Rotherham that came through our youth section...may be they will return like others already have and finally how many others living in York travel to these clubs to play.... depends on everyone’s ambition as to where we end up

DK to deny the past is a mistake, just like the probable £1000.s that were squandered on expenses for players who did not improve the club and cleared of as soon as a better offer came along!

I concede that the recruitment of D has been worth every penny as a player/coach. However we did not have an out and out 10 who could run a game like he does. Additionally he has brought some excellent coaching skills that the whole group has benefited from !!

you know as well as I do, that the club aren't going to pay expenses to players who are going to sit on the bench or play in the 2's?

If a player is receiving expenses the coaching staff or recruiter will be compelled to play them irrespective, to justify the expense! That will mean someone will have to make way and that is where the rot sets in!
Play the side at the level they can cope with together as the unit that have brought us this far. Learn the lessons of the past, we are supposed to be an amateur club!
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.”

Offline stubbs

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 11:12:16 AM »
DAA/DK

I am all for remaining an amateur club but where as a for instance our ex colts are away at university if they are good enough we should be ensuring they can get back to play. Also I agree with encouraging our ex colts at other clubs to come back and play at York. the squad has to be strengthened to be competitive at the next level. We probably have between 23-25 players that in most positions we can cover for injuries/illness/holidays but there are key positions as showed at Cleckheaton where we can't afford several players out at the same time.   

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 07:13:20 PM »
Look at us!! Promoted by RH to the North Premier Forum!!

Couldn't even wait to next season before getting rid of us! :D :D

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 07:56:05 PM »
With promotion comes.....another audience. Bye and good luck.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 10:38:30 AM »
Judging by the lack of engagement on this forum, I suspect we will be wanting to dip our toes back in at the North One level.

Anyway I am defending Pundits league champion and i intend to make it three on the bounce next season, whenever that is!

Offline Pristine Shorts

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
You’ll have to move, old boy, as I did to ‘Regional Premier Leagues’ on the Rolling Maul Forum.

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 01:19:46 PM »
No you won't!! You'll have to encourage people onto this one!!
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Pristine Shorts

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 02:01:05 PM »
Good luck with that !

Offline Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2020, 02:27:51 PM »
Large majority of clubs there are not Yorkshire ones.....
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 04:48:05 PM »
No you won't!! You'll have to encourage people onto this one!!
I'm sure the same rules apply for all pundit league contributors, it does not preclude you entering. irrespective of the league the team you are associated with!!

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »
You misunderstood what I was saying....I was suggesting that you shouldn't move to the rolling maul forum you should encourage other clubs to contribute to this one.

I'll be delighted to see you N1E in the pundits league next year...
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Wilyjim

• One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »

DK to deny the past is a mistake, just like the probable £1000.s that were squandered on expenses for players who did not improve the club and cleared of as soon as a better offer came along!

I concede that the recruitment of D has been worth every penny as a player/coach. However we did not have an out and out 10 who could run a game like he does. Additionally he has brought some excellent coaching skills that the whole group has benefited from !!

you know as well as I do, that the club aren't going to pay expenses to players who are going to sit on the bench or play in the 2's?

If a player is receiving expenses the coaching staff or recruiter will be compelled to play them irrespective, to justify the expense! That will mean someone will have to make way and that is where the rot sets in!
Play the side at the level they can cope with together as the unit that have brought us this far. Learn the lessons of the past, we are supposed to be an amateur club!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Money talks.
We know that even teams in Yorkshire 4 are paying players expenses to keep them around. Once we all just accept that fact, we can let the more affluent clubs follow their natural course to the higher leagues.

The silent majority have been quiet on this issue for far too long (Bradford Salem, Keighley, Goole) - You'd see bank notes flying out of the players cars, after every match! It's just an open secret chaps, the only thing these clubs should be worried about is the shortage of brown envelopes across Yorkshire!

If anyone has a problem with this harsh reality then they have to ask themselves - what if you were Otley? What if you were that club in National 2. Are you seriously going to rely on little Billy from the juniors who's had a few games for the colts? Just send him packing to Yorkshire 4 and bring in a Pacific Islander.