$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Season round up.

Season round up.

This is a discussion for the topic Season round up. on the board Yorkshire 1.

Author Topic: Season round up.  (Read 4279 times)

Woody

• One of the boys
on: April 04, 2020, 03:06:32 PM
Heath first and second team have gained promotion this year. A fantastic achievement for the club. With more players joining the club next year it would be great to see three teams playing every week.

Well done to Brods,  well deserved promotion. Am I correct in saying that Heath second team will now be in the same league as Brods Seconds?

Old Crocs certainly gave it a good shot this year and I can see them pushing for promotion next season. They are a great group of lads and I hope they stick together. Although i have heard of a few players going elsewhere.

Beverly had a great season and I’m sure they will push for promotion next season.

West Leeds have a great coaching team and will continue to improve.

Bradford Salem have some of the best young talent in the league and if they can retain these players they may do well next season.

Selby are already training hard, this is evident on their twitter page. They had a good year and I think they will continue to improve.

Goole looked exhausted by the end of the season but never lost their spirit. They need some experience to bring on their young players to stay up next season. My advice would be a tight head prop and a centre.

Dinnington are due an influx of youth and perhaps a new scrum half.

Leodensians have Survived in Yorkshire 1 and I think they will build on this next year. The best club I have been to this year. Fantastic atmosphere.

Bridlington will be pleased with their comeback this season, great to see so many players return to help the club. The atmosphere was great at the club this year.

Pontefract would have stayed up anyway in my opinion but I’m sure they are relieved with the outcome. They will struggle again next season if they don’t change their style of rugby.

Keighley have struggled for a couple of seasons and I think they will benefit from the change to Yorkshire 2. I’m sure most in Yorkshire 1 will look forward to having them back up next year.

Hullensians have also struggled for a few seasons, but not for lack of effort. I can see them bouncing back next season if they can keep their squad together.

Broughton

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 05:05:14 PM
Congratulations to Old Brods and Heath on winning promotion.  Yorkshire League 1 has been very strong again this year, both sides being the strongest and deserving of promotion. With Brods and Heath going up, and Old Crocs finishing well, this shows  how strong rugby is in the Halifax area. Old Rishworthians are returning immediately to Yorks 1, after relegation last year, and will contest some fierce derby games against Old Crocs net season.

Lets hope Hudds YMCA can regroup after relegation to Yorks 1.
They are a "proper rugby club" with a great tradition and always a warm welcome in the bar.

Despite the unusual manner in which the season has ended, may I wish all the players, referees, volunteers and supporters an enjoyable summer (when this Cvid is over) and good luck next season !

ponte animal

• One of the boys
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 05:09:44 PM
Enjoyed your views Woody, but intrigued to know  what style of rugby you believe Ponte play and should be playing.

Master_Knowledge

• Forum old hand
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:32:42 PM
He's from Heath so he probably disagrees with anybody wider than your ten seeing the ball.

Twenty4Twenty

• Finding my feet
  • Also one of the boys
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 06:43:17 PM
Am I correct in saying that Heath second team will now be in the same league as Brods Seconds?

Nope. I haven't seen anything on the merit leagues yet would be interested to check that out if you have a link or is it just information they've sent out to the club rather than properly calculate all the merit leagues which are a bit of mess with teams having lots of cancellations and games in hand. Congrats on the promotion though Woody. Halifax having the Champions and runners up certainly shows the strength of Halifax rugby. And who knows, if the season hadn't of ended early then maybe it could have been a Halifax 1,2,3. Will be an interesting season when/if it happens in NE1.

MORLEYBOI

• Finding my feet
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 06:48:03 PM
Who was top try scorer in the everyone’s team this season.
Ours was Clum on 19.Did many beat it at Brods,Bev,Crocs???

Woody

• One of the boys
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 07:27:49 PM
Enjoyed your views Woody, but intrigued to know  what style of rugby you believe Ponte play and should be playing.

Very strong up front and backs with good skills. But from watching all the videos on YouTube ball retention lets you down. However this could be down to fitness rather than the style of play.

Woody

• One of the boys
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 07:28:45 PM
He's from Heath so he probably disagrees with anybody wider than your ten seeing the ball.

Completely agree. Top try scorer should be the Penalty try. 😂😂

Oldandslow

• A little respect please...
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 07:32:56 PM

I watched Ponte a few times last season so I think you need to do:

1. Find a quality scrum half playing Boyd out of position there is not the answer.

2. You have two good young props physically big but not good technically good at scrummaging, when I watched Ponte’s own ball was too often not secure. With a summer of intensive coaching Ponte should look to have a stable scrum and exploit those two big props.

3. Ponte the season before played a quick fluid game using the pace they had out wide, this year it was slow and predictable with lots of taking the ball into unnecessary contact.

Just my opinion

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:34:59 PM by Oldandslow »

Speccy

• Forum old hand
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 08:36:58 AM
Thanks to Woody for his round up and kind words.

Leos thoroughly enjoyed our first taste of div 1 rugby and I believe we were competitive throughout the season.Equally important to surviving our first season,we also consistently ran three three sides,with our seconds securing promotion (I assume),coming second in their table to Cleckheaton 2's,whilst arguably our strongest side were the thirds who played over 20 games,winning threequarters of them and only finishing behind Ikley 3's and Crocs 2's.

Visitors to Crag Lane will be relieved to learn that we have recently had the entire Lane re tarmacked,so no more pot holes for a few years.Preparations are already underway for next season,with both pitches being sanded and seeded this weekend and even talk of a third pitch.

Good luck to Heath next season and I'm sure our Chairman will be happy to buy you a pint on your next visit to Crag Lane.

ponte animal

• One of the boys
Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 08:57:20 AM
Its interesting and opinions are divided at the club. There is a piece on the Ponte website from the director of rugby reflecting on the season which is pretty accurate. Bit harsh on the technical ability of the young props as the Ponte scrum has dominated most teams and held their own against the others. The scrum has kept Ponte up without a doubt but with that comes mobility round the park issues and questions of whether to play a tighter game or the wider game Ponte have played for a number of years. As ever there is a balance which the team have yet to get quite right.