$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; West Yorkshire attacking N1

Author Topic: West Yorkshire attacking N1  (Read 1942 times)

Offline omigidiant

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
West Yorkshire attacking N1
« on: June 13, 2020, 11:17:31 PM »
With lock down starting to ease thoughts of rugby are starting to return. Here in West Yorkshire, albeit a long way away, we are looking forward to Heath and Brods attempts to make their mark in N1. Without doubt the standard in N1 is high, and both teams are going to have to perform at their best to make any sort of mark in the league. My view is that the jump from Y1 to N1 is as big as any in the country and I suspect that both teams may struggle. Having said that I know that both teams will also fight to the death to maintain their position. The question is are there any incumbents in the league who want it more than Heath or Brods? Last season positions 7 to 12 in N1 were covered by only 4 points which suggests that the bottom half of the league is not that strong, so are Heath and Brods in with a chance? Who knows but one thing for certain is that there will be no gimmes at North Dean or Woodhead next season. Can the same be said for the rest of N1?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 01:58:29 PM by omigidiant »
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline BenFairclough

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Re: West Yorkshire attacking N1
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 09:02:48 AM »
Cant have had much experience watching other leagues if you can comment saying Yorkshire 1 to North 1 is one of biggest jumps in the country. Its probs the easiest transition.

North 1 to Nat 3 is a big step up due to 90% of players / teams north 1 playing for free.

Nat 3 to Nat 2 big step up again, then the jump to Nat 2 to Nat 1 is the biggest / hardest transition

I think personally both Heath and Brods will be fine in North 1 after playing against both of them last year.

With Brods finishing the higher of the 2 teams with it being a quicker league.

Offline omigidiant

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »
My comment regarding the jump up to N1 was specifically about the move from level 7 to level 6. Obviously once you move into the professional circle that's a whole different ball game. In my opinion N1E is one of the strongest level 6 leagues in the country (you may disagree) so unless you are a Moortown who have the ability to recruit well to challenge at that level straight away(no criticism of Moortown by the way) then I think consolidating their place in the league will be the goal for Brods and Heath based on the teams they put out last season. I expect both will be doing some recruiting to help the cause.
Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline Dan Nulty

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 06:43:49 PM »
Did you look at who has come up from y1 and gone back down over the last 5 seasons? I'm not sure that supports your theory that the gap is large?

Offline backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 07:01:55 AM »
It's always hard to judge the difference between divisions for obvious reasons.....if I had to make a call, I would say the gap between Y1 and N1E is the smallest in years.

At the risk of upsetting some people, I think the standard in N1E and Y1 has been dropping for about 5 years...no idea why. I think back to some of quality sides and players in Y1 between 5 and 10 years ago and can't help thinking we are not quite at that level at the moment.

As for the two clubs coming up, they will both be top 6 in their first season i predict.
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Offline Pristine Shorts

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 02:51:27 PM »
I would agree that standards have dropped, but across the board, not just N1E and Y1. Many of the teams we played last season were nowhere near so good as they had been three seasons ago ( including Ilkley of course ) I think this is a problem throughout the game.

The relegated teams in Premier are semi-pro and have been for years - it’s in their DNA - and whilst a lower-placed side might do well against them on a one-off basis, over the season they tend to finish in the top four. Only Harrogate have struggled a bit and they’ve gone back ‘where they belong’ at the expense of Sandal.

We are by no means super-confident of ruling the roost in N1E next season, whenever that is. Far from it - like most relegated sides, the better players move on from them and the number one goal is not to go down again.

The main difference that a promoted side will find is that the game is quicker, not least because the sides are fitter and can play 80 minutes. Looking forward to seeing some old friends in..... October ?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 04:48:14 PM by Pristine Shorts »