$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Rugby Start up

Rugby Start up

This is a discussion for the topic Rugby Start up on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Rugby Start up  (Read 15766 times)

Premier3

• Finding my feet
on: August 23, 2020, 07:16:54 AM
Can anybody in plain English tell me where we are on the back to rugby map and realistically  when will I be able to watch some proper live rugby. All subject to change etc etc

backrowbandit

• God
  • A little respect please...
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 07:57:56 AM
10v10 touch and pass allowed...with plenty of other safety measures.

It will be months and months until you can watch rugby in the way we used to.

We should all prepare ourselves for the possibility of a full season off.

Personally I am now of the opinion that the league programme should be scrapped for next season. If in the event that rugby in a normal 15 a side format can return then clubs should organise local mini leagues with neighbouring clubs.. For me that would turn a possible disaster into a nice little change for a season.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Premier3

• Finding my feet
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 08:07:11 AM
Thanks- anymore plain and simply updates in the future would be appreciated

Pristine Shorts

Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 09:18:16 AM
10v10 touch and pass allowed...with plenty of other safety measures.

It will be months and months until you can watch rugby in the way we used to.

We should all prepare ourselves for the possibility of a full season off.

Personally I am now of the opinion that the league programme should be scrapped for next season. If in the event that rugby in a normal 15 a side format can return then clubs should organise local mini leagues with neighbouring clubs.. For me that would turn a possible disaster into a nice little change for a season.

I’m afraid I have to agree. As our Great Leader ( remember him ? ) put it, it’s a lot harder to come down the hill than to go up it.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 05:10:25 PM
Slightly off topic but relevant non the less.

The RFU seem to be either tone deaf to (arrogant) or completely misinformed regarding (poor representation) the views of clubs and the feelings of rugby clubs. I was going to say grassroots rugby clubs but decided that the term is unhelpful. We are all just rugby clubs which sit at different levels in the league structure. The fact we are at level 5,6,7,8 or whatever instead of 1,2,3 or 4 is irrelevant.

Let's compare two clubs...both only have one senior team, both only have one pitch. The first plays in front of 10,000 people and is on TV, the second plays in front of 20 people. The first has no minis and juniors, the second (despite the cost) valiantly runs minis and juniors for the community it resides in....with one pitch it's a struggle but they do it.  The first club provides entertainment to many people on TV and sends players to the England squad...the second club gives boys, girls, men and women an opportunity to drag themselves away from the TV and perhaps aspire to play for the first club or England. So probably one is Premiership and one is Yorkshire 5.

I am in no way trying to suggest that one club is more important than the other....the point is that it is a symbiotic relationship which requires all clubs to coexist for the betterment of the game of rugby.

Why then does club one have such a loud voice and club two is treated with such utter contempt?

Come on RFU, in general you have been a star performer throughout the pandemic, your coms have been good as has your support for the club's who need it most... Please as we move into the next stage of restart, consult directly with clubs regarding what should happen next.

All clubs have elected Boards or committees who represent the views of that particular club. Write to each Board/committee and ask their views. The league restructuring demonstrates how bypassing elected bodies deprives you of any mandate. You say "players want X" but what you don't say is that only about 10 players partook in the consultation!

So my view is:

a) either tell me it's your organisation and this is what's happening without pretence of consultation.
Or
b) undertake a genuine consultation and implement the outcome even if it doesn't suit.

At least if you're honest and it's a)... we can all choose to join or form another organisation.

Thank you for anyone who could be bothered to read this!
Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Pristine Shorts

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:59:03 PM
I read it and agree ! Well put.

oneoftheoldfarts

• One of the boys
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 08:28:22 AM
Agree

Locked Out

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Life is serious enough...
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 10:56:39 AM
Well said BRB.

Oldandslow

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 11:08:56 AM
Agreed, well said BRB.

I also support your earlier post about 2020/21. I also don't see any rugby as we know it for months and don't want some artificial semi league of seven teams.

sandylands is home

• Finding my feet
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 01:40:27 PM
hi all,

i dont post much on here at all so my opinion is probably invalid.

but my frustration is with the fact that all amateur football seems to be back up and running as normal.
several local clubs have been having games (with fans there also)  on a weekly basis now.

my question is how does this differ from rugby?
i know we are in closer contact on the playing field than the round ball fellas but surely doesn't pose much more of a risk!

by all means i am no health expert but i can see all this having a huge effect on grassroots rugby, for no reason but the fact our government couldn't guide us through a one way system!!

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 02:12:05 PM
It’s my understanding that it’s the face to face contact that is the issue.

In football there is not a lot of sustained face to face contact, if any. In rugby there is and there are more ways of it happening, tackling, mauling etc.

Netball have changed the distance of defending to 1.2m instead of 1m and no off the ball contact to minimise face to face marking.

It’s seems that a lot of thought has gone into the Ready4Rugby game to standardise rules etc. That it looks like that version is here to stay for a while.

It is frustrating that football is all up and running with competitive fixtures but we can’t even tackle yet.

Until the changing rooms can be used as we know them I can’t see us playing for a while.
#lovesport

Rob13

• Forum old hand
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 08:52:08 PM
Speaking with a friend in London they’ve been told they will be back playing by October and to get ready?No one seems to know what’s going on,still you can still go to the pub and watch the clowns hugging each other.

oneoftheoldfarts

• One of the boys
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 09:43:06 AM
But you can still watch live rugby on TV, but we can’t play!!!

Locked Out

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Life is serious enough...
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 08:07:42 PM
Good point Bren, though there is often prolonged face to face contact in roundball, but it’s usually players remonstrating in referee’s faces.

oldun

• Forum old hand
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:21 AM
hi all, not posted for a while ,but have been following the discussions!!

for once I agree with some of BRB.s thoughts.

With the now likely 2nd wave, particularly in the West Riding, no chance of rugby before feb. I would have thought. I mean who the hell in their right mind would want to go from a very low covid area like ours on the east coast to areas where the spread is rife.

Cancel the league structure this season and start afresh in 2021/2.

IF it is possible to play later in the year, keep it local, non league. There would then be lots of hard fought local derby's.

We could have great mini series, Scarbro, Brid, Malton, Pock, Driffield, Beverley, Goole------hey that's 12 games, or to put it another way, feb, march and april!!!

( if we have to play league rugby, it's a long way during these times to Middlesbro and Dinnington--supposedly part of a first series of local games in the proposed mini leagues )

KEEP SAFE EVERYONE!!