$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Rugby Start up

Rugby Start up

This is a discussion for the topic Rugby Start up on the board Other Senior Rugby.

Author Topic: Rugby Start up  (Read 15764 times)

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #45 on: September 14, 2020, 09:31:59 AM
Agree BRB. The size of crowds is irrelevant, it’s the game which is the problem. Community Game Board have asked two questions-
What is the appetite/desire for:-
a) Return and Participate in full contact rugby.
b) Return and Participate in full contact rugby under adapted rules(e.g. no scrums, amended tackle laws etc)

Unfortunately a) appears to be a non starter, and b) should be welcomed by all clubs, otherwise there will be no rugby at all. The rate of increase in cases is worrying although more testing is being carried out, but the scrum is an issue.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Reply #46 on: September 14, 2020, 10:43:11 AM
I agree - forget about a).

At amateur level, where creating "bubbles" is impossible, it's about minimising risk when bringing groups of strangers together. How this can be achieved responsibly is hard to envisage, especially in the "Generation Me" age we are living in.

All sport is essential not just for physical but also mental wellbeing, so it's incumbent on clubs to deliver as much activity as possible.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Bren

• Forum old hand
Reply #47 on: September 14, 2020, 08:04:47 PM
I think and hope that there will be touch and pass tournaments starting up soon and this will bring some joy.

#lovesport

Ian1307

• Finding my feet
Reply #48 on: September 16, 2020, 12:45:04 PM
Uni rugby starts earliest 3rd week Jan, no sport pre xmas. We wont play pre xmas and thereafter maybe local friendlies. I dont think the 2020/21 season will happen in anyway. Big issues will be loads of older guys will retire early as life on Saturdays will take over and young lads will quit sport or go to football. Player numbers will dramatically fall.

Restricted training times at UoY but starting first week in October, so just have to make the most of what we can at the moment.

Premier3

• Finding my feet
Reply #49 on: September 21, 2020, 08:04:48 AM
How does the new/continued Northern  Lockdown restrictions relate to seeing any rugby this year ??   

Beachy

• Forum old hand
Reply #50 on: September 21, 2020, 03:40:17 PM
Would love to see rugby making a return as soon as possible, but genuinely don't see a return for it at all this year and probably for a good while after the new year. Think I might invest in a dart board or a ping pong table...

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 04:00:57 PM
Agree. Would be interesting to know how many clubs' activities have recently been disrupted by the appearance of Covid among players / members. Would be astounded if there aren't any.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #52 on: September 22, 2020, 06:39:47 AM
If clubs haven't already been planning for a season with no rugby, then they should start now.

It's highly unlikely we will see meaningful competitive rugby during season 20/21. That means that many clubs will see their income drop to almost zero. Every club is different and will have different circumstances but I urge anyone who has had their head in sand to pull it out and act now.

We need as many clubs as possible to still be in good shape by Sept 2021....it will be a miracle if we don't lose clubs across the UK. Lets hope for that miracle.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Fredsbar

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
Reply #53 on: October 30, 2020, 07:36:03 PM
Not surprised that the RFU has called off League Rugby for 20-21 season.
See you all in September!

Sail By

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #54 on: October 30, 2020, 07:45:05 PM
Fredsbar, there will still be time for good old fashioned friendlies. Hopefully we could get a few months of good old traditional rugby.
We need this to keep the interest there.

Oldandslow

Reply #55 on: October 31, 2020, 07:09:58 AM
Fredsbar no surprise particularly as the National Leagues had already said it was not financially viable for them to start.

I agree with sailby if health considerations make it possible think some local friendlies are needed as I think losing a whole season will result in many players deciding to give the game up.

backrowbandit

• God
  • Jealousy is the tribute mediocrity pays to genius
Reply #56 on: October 31, 2020, 07:27:56 AM
I think most of us have always expected the league programme to be cancelled.

Right...now for a bit of optimism. Remember in summer after the first phase fizzed out how cases dropped to around zero very quickly. There is every chance that the same may happen after Christmas PLUS it seems very likely that a vaccine in some capacity will be started to role out from Christmas time.

Factor in the number of people who have developed some form of immunity....

My bold claim is that we could have two months of friendlies from mid March.

Clearly not guaranteed but that's what I'm expecting with a good dollop of hope.

Loving all rugby but especially at grassroots level.

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
Reply #57 on: October 31, 2020, 09:40:06 AM
My understanding is that there is still a chance of some form of cup competition.