$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Week 1 - Predictions / Banter

Author Topic: Week 1 - Predictions / Banter  (Read 1909 times)

Offline DrRuck

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
Week 1 - Predictions / Banter
« on: September 01, 2021, 03:08:37 PM »
NOT a Wharfedale feeder club vs Chads

Expect to see plenty of Schoffel and Barbour on display for this one; I imagine both teams will have enjoyed lockdown, quaffing vast quantities of of craft beer and pork scratchings. Result may depend how many of the 'Dale boys are out collecting the bountiful harvest (or disappeared down the road to their noisy neighbours). Win for the private school Chads

Yawnbury Anglers vs Friendly Farmers

Life doesn't seem to have been kind to the deep sea fishermen from central yorkshire in the post-Bob Hood era but the magic carpet playing surface has been known to cause upset (not only on the scoreboard, but also to anyone's ankles, knees and elbows who plays on it). Win for the Sheep enthusiasts.

Bog Dwellers vs Large Men

A meeting of large men and more large men, I doubt this will be a match of free flowing rugby and more likely to resemble the seal enclosure in the zoo as the big boys struggle to squeeze into their skin tight shirts after 15 months off. Win for the salad-dodgers from 'Hills

Slimming World vs Larger Men

Another meeting of the pie enthusiasts, expect plenty of exchanges of sweets in the scrums whilst they pretend to push. Win for the Fat Fighters from East Leeds.

Cast of Shameless vs Wallace and Gromit

Will the boys from 'Dale know what has hit them when they step off the coach in Middelton? It's not quite the Chatsworth estate but don't rule out a burnt-out car on the side of the pitch just yet. Win for the Leeds boys (bonus point if they steel the hubcaps off the away team coach)

Beverley Hills of Bradford vs NOT Teesside

The real highlight for the Northallerton boys has to be getting the trip to Mount Doom out of the way before the first snow of the year has fallen (usually in early October at that altitude). Expect plenty of kicking (direction subject to the Category 4 hurricane usually present) and really entertaining pick and go rugby. Very boring win for the Bradford Bad Boy Chiller Crew

Reader's Wives vs The worst team in the city

Another match on the magic carpet - will be interest to see how the injuries in the league react to doubling the number of games on the hallowed plastic and rubber turf. Two new teams to the league, going to go with a home win (which is unlikely to be the worst part of the away team's weekend given they live in Hull).

Offline Locked Out

• Forum old hand
  • One of the boys
    • View Profile
Re: Week 1 - Predictions / Banter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 11:58:02 PM »
Well done doc and you have certainly thrown the fixture list into a spin with your matches and your order of play. Not usually a stickler for details, but we generally go in club alphabetical order and then edit club names to suit personal or group adopted preferences.

According to the Y2 fixtures on RFU website it goes like this:

Hullensians v Leeds Corinthians
Keighley v Baildon
Northallerton v  North Ribblesdale
Ripon v Thornensians
Watch upon Dearne v Yarnbury
Wensleydale v Wetherby
Wheatley Hills v Old Grovians

My predictions and nicknames to evolve so as not to offend newcomers:

Proper fishermen v classics: Suspect ‘ensians have forgotten less about playing in Y1 than ‘orinthians have learned on their journey upwards. Away side may be over-excited about the bus trip v nervous about going east of the A1. Home win.

Craven promotion v Orks: Suspect this might go the same way as above for different reasons. Baildon to be bewitched by magic carpet and start with a few scuffed knees and pride.

County set v Sheep sha**ers: With asylum seekers exiting to York, but nobody going to Wharfedale, this could be a good away win.

Farmers v Bog trotters: Got to go with speed agility, fitness, youth, courage and home advantage here.

Pie men v Sea anglers, or Yawnbury: Some big collisions up front and a good test for the magic carpet flyers on the postage stamp pitch. But home win.

Cheesemen v Slimmers world: Sitting on the fence with this one and go for a draw.

Wheatos v poo boys: Hopefully the “ok yah” grammarians keep the Doncaster Golems on the move enough to tire them out for an away win.

Offline DrRuck

• Finding my feet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 08:23:46 AM »
Well done doc and you have certainly thrown the fixture list into a spin with your matches and your order of play. Not usually a stickler for details, but we generally go in club alphabetical order and then edit club names to suit personal or group adopted preferences.

According to the Y2 fixtures on RFU website it goes like this:

Hullensians v Leeds Corinthians
Keighley v Baildon
Northallerton v  North Ribblesdale
Ripon v Thornensians
Watch upon Dearne v Yarnbury
Wensleydale v Wetherby
Wheatley Hills v Old Grovians

My predictions and nicknames to evolve so as not to offend newcomers:

Proper fishermen v classics: Suspect ‘ensians have forgotten less about playing in Y1 than ‘orinthians have learned on their journey upwards. Away side may be over-excited about the bus trip v nervous about going east of the A1. Home win.

Craven promotion v Orks: Suspect this might go the same way as above for different reasons. Baildon to be bewitched by magic carpet and start with a few scuffed knees and pride.

County set v Sheep sha**ers: With asylum seekers exiting to York, but nobody going to Wharfedale, this could be a good away win.

Farmers v Bog trotters: Got to go with speed agility, fitness, youth, courage and home advantage here.

Pie men v Sea anglers, or Yawnbury: Some big collisions up front and a good test for the magic carpet flyers on the postage stamp pitch. But home win.

Cheesemen v Slimmers world: Sitting on the fence with this one and go for a draw.

Wheatos v poo boys: Hopefully the “ok yah” grammarians keep the Doncaster Golems on the move enough to tire them out for an away win.

Going to have to blame affiliated clubs website for this one - Doh! (Shows how much attention I pay to who they're due to play at the weekend...)

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 09:02:59 AM »
Typical Physic…. reading wrong notes .

Offline Ed I Tackle

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 01:21:47 PM »
Hullensians v Leeds Corinthians already postponed due to a Covid outbreak for the home team.

First game for us will now be Keefly away the following week.

I wonder how many games will succumb to this over the year. Will put pressure on the fixture lists!

Offline Locked Out

• Forum old hand
  • One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 07:23:24 PM »
That’s a shame Ed I, hope affected parties return to health soon.

A bit harsh there about Dr Hook Alfie - at least he didn’t chop the wrong leg off. 😲😷

Offline Alf Hart

• Forum old hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 09:34:40 PM »
Tarters

No doubt distracted ‘ by a beautiful woman’ the good doctor Hook .

Offline Ribb Exile in Lancs

• The lord of the Manor...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 06:46:12 PM »
Ribb only lost Omari Kaup-Samuels to Wharfedale this season, go well young man, one way traffic as usual!
Sorry can't run fantasy league this season due to health issues, calll me"Lazarus".
Good luck alll, let's see N.Yorks teams to the fore.

Offline Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 09:45:35 AM »
Hullensians +7
Keighley+7
Northallerton+7
Ripon -7
Wath -7
Wensley-7
Grovians -7

Offline Locked Out

• Forum old hand
  • One of the boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 12:46:32 PM »
Good to hear from you anyway Ribbex and welcome back Flaggy.

So much for Ribb not being a Wharfedale feeder club LOL

Will try and keep tabs on predictions and a league table of sorts. Just checking who’s in:

Locked Out
Ribbflagman
DrRuck
Ed I Tackle?
KLY-LAD?
Alf Hart?

Any more

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 03:26:09 PM »
Hullensians -7
Keighley+7
Northallerton+7
Ripon +7
Wath +7
Wensley-7
Grovians -7
Realise I'm after KO time. If too late will start next week.
Expect no mercy from Locked.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »
Hullensians v Leeds Corinthians Off
Keighley 21 v Baildon 16
Northallerton 53 v  North Ribblesdale 29
Ripon 12 v Thornensians 5
Watch upon Dearne 20v Yarnbury 3
Wensleydale 3 v Wetherby 40