$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Week 4 Predictions / Banter

Week 4 Predictions / Banter

This is a discussion for the topic Week 4 Predictions / Banter on the board Yorkshire 2 .

Author Topic: Week 4 Predictions / Banter  (Read 11112 times)

DrRuck

• One of the boys
on: September 23, 2021, 03:11:08 PM
Beverley Hills of Bradford vs BTEC Etonians
A good match for those looking after the pennies, no long away days here in a tasty local derby. Quite a contrast from the doldrums of Apperley Bridge to Mount Doom, but I'm backing the Barbour and tweed brigade here. Without having to dodge various dog logs the hooray henrys will run riot, with just as much hot air blowing from the side lines as from the sky. Grovians +7

East Riding Anglers vs Cheesey Wotsits
Are 'Dale going to be the whipping boys of the league? Yet to accrue a win despite the considerable home advantage of the lumpiest pitch in England in previous matches. I hope the prospect of a good bus trip fires up the Wotsits as it's a great day out up to Wensleydale. 'Dale -7

Keefleh vs Woff
Home advantage to play a key role as Jafar is unable to catch Aladin on his magic carpet. I hope the boys from south of the border pack plenty of Vaseline to protect their delicate knees and elbows from the frightfully abrasive playing surface, a few dog logs would soften the landing I'm sure. Keighley +7

WWW Wet Dreams vs Friendly Farmers
WWW must be a home-only supporter, I'm sure we're all looking forward to his insightful match commentary. I hope the Middleton Massive can produce a big result against the Rugrats from Ripon. Corinthians -7

Readers Wives vs Teeside Terrors
Another team yet to get a win this year, are Thorne set for relegation (and do everyone a favour) or will they settle for their usual lower-table mediocrity? North' to roll all the way down the A1, straight over their opponents and then make a swift exit before the locals steal too many of their belongings. North' +7

Slimmers World vs Slimmers World (but better)
A clash of titanic propositions, and that's just the queue for the post match meals. I'm back 'Hills to continue their unbeaten win in a game that will suit their really varied and multi-dimensional playing style. 'Hills +7

Yawnbury vs Wharfedale 3s
Does anyone really care? Two teams that have long since fallen from the heady heights of Yorkshire 1, but still have egos to outweigh their meagre capabilities. Very boring DRAW

KLY-LAD

• Finding my feet
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 03:07:51 PM
Baildon - Old Grovians               Old Grovians -7
Hullensians – Wensleydale         Hullensians +7
Keighley - Wath Upon Dearne     Keighley +7
Leeds Corinthians – Ripon         Ripon +7
Thornensians – Northallerton      Northallerton +7
Wetherby - Wheatley Hills        Wheatley Hills -7
Yarnbury - North Ribblesdale      Yarnbury -7
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 09:55:43 AM by KLY-LAD »

Locked Out

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Life is serious enough...
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 03:43:22 PM
Apologies, but I can't get into running a leader board for predictions as not everyone follows the same format and I'm not suggesting there's a right or wrong way.

Orcs v Pooh boys - I'll take a home win in a lively contest between two of last week's losers. Old Etonians to be overcome by the rarified altitude of Mount Doom and the pleasantries emanating from the "grandstand". Baildon - 7

Fishermen's friends v Cheesy wotsits - Not sure how well the Dalesmen will travel and not many options for a pub crawl along the A1 and M62, so with the prospect if a night out in Ull, this could be a sound home win and an early exit for the wotsits. Hull + 7

Keefleh v Pie men - Wath will need more than vaseline for their knees, more likely a compass to navigate their way round the vastness of the pitch. Home win +7

WWWWD (love it) v Farmers - The introduction of two over 20 year olds to the Ripon squad will bring in much needed father figures on the pitch and give the rugrats a stronger sense of direction. Going with my heart and an away win +7

Bog Trotters v Teesside terrors - Despite the friendly welcome and un-partisan banter from the crowd, North to run rings and get a decent bonus point haul. Northallerton +7

Slimmers world v fat fighters - Wetherby will be the ones trying to play the game here, but may come unstuck with their horizontal line out tactics in Doncaster. Though it pains me, a home win - 7

Yawno v Not a Wharfedale feeder club - Yarnbury arguably the most boring team in the division since the departures of Roundhegian and WPL. Fancy a exciting turn out from Ribb with the prospect of a fun bus trip home. Away win - 7

RugbyKing

• One of the boys
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 05:32:47 PM
Baildon +7
Hullensians +7
Wath -7
Leeds c +7
Northallerton-7
Wetherby -7
Yarnbury-7

ABR

• One of the boys
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 09:10:58 PM
Grovians +7
Hullensians +7
Keighley +7
Leeds Corinthians -7
Northallerton -7
Wetherby -7
Yarnbury -7

Ribb Exile in Lancs

• The lord of the Manor...
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 11:35:37 AM
Baildon - Old Grovians        Baildon -7
Hullensians – Wensleydale         Hullensians +7
Keighley - Wath Upon Dearne     Keighley +7
Leeds Corinthians – Ripon         Ripon -7
Thornensians – Northallerton      Northallerton +7
Wetherby - Wheatley Hills        Wheatley Hills -7
Yarnbury - North Ribblesdale      Yarnbury +7 (23-7) Ribb hit by massive injury list may have to recruit a few sheep.

Ribbflagman

• A little respect please...
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 08:24:11 PM
Anyone on here prepared to spill the beans as to why the referee abandoned the game at Corinthians. Rumours circulating that the Corinthians players were abusing the ref and were supported by the "Miggy faithful" who could not afford the admission charge at Elland road from their Furlough cheques, (which will be much higher than the benefits most of them are used to receiving). Whatever the reason we MUST support ALL refs unequivocally, otherwise we are all on a slippery slope. Most refs are used to "banter" from the crowds but rarely can I remember a referee calling it a day due to that. If true (and I reiterate, If true) then I hope the powers that be deal with it sternly and not push things like this and the abominable issue such as racism, under the carpet as the Footie powers seem to keep doing.

Thoughts Please.

DrRuck

• One of the boys
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 09:45:01 PM
Anyone on here prepared to spill the beans as to why the referee abandoned the game at Corinthians. Rumours circulating that the Corinthians players were abusing the ref and were supported by the "Miggy faithful" who could not afford the admission charge at Elland road from their Furlough cheques, (which will be much higher than the benefits most of them are used to receiving). Whatever the reason we MUST support ALL refs unequivocally, otherwise we are all on a slippery slope. Most refs are used to "banter" from the crowds but rarely can I remember a referee calling it a day due to that. If true (and I reiterate, If true) then I hope the powers that be deal with it sternly and not push things like this and the abominable issue such as racism, under the carpet as the Footie powers seem to keep doing.

Surely the only person that can offer a fair and reasonable perspective is WWW? But he seems to have gone AWOL?!

In all seriousness if the match was abandoned for abuse to the official then that is appalling. Corinthians to offer some defence…?

Thoughts Please.

Murdock

Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 10:23:04 AM
Suspect they’ll maintain radio silence
bazinga

Oldandslow

Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 12:39:59 PM
Suspect they’ll maintain radio silence

Normally you can’t keep Ripon quiet

Murdock

Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 01:27:03 PM
Do we know if Yorkshire have procedures in place to help the ref in these situations? If what’s been said is correct surely someone needs to speak with him see what if any he’ll he needs.
bazinga

Ripit

• Forum old hand
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 02:50:59 PM
I can assure you that he is being looked after. He was a bit emotional afterwards which is expected (We as referees do get to hear about this sort of stuff quite quickly after the game).  As I am a fellow referee, I expect some disagreement from the sidelines but if it crosses the line then this is not acceptable.  I refereed a Level 6 game yesterday and you do hear some quite loud calls from 1 or 2 individuals.  I always try and speak to that individual after the game and discuss that we are all volunteers and not getting paid and question how he thinks that is going to help his team that he has come to support. It usually shuts them up and hopefully puts it in there mind to think before they shout.

Hopefully this is dealt with appropriately.

Murdock

Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 03:21:44 PM
I can assure you that he is being looked after. He was a bit emotional afterwards which is expected (We as referees do get to hear about this sort of stuff quite quickly after the game).  As I am a fellow referee, I expect some disagreement from the sidelines but if it crosses the line then this is not acceptable.  I refereed a Level 6 game yesterday and you do hear some quite loud calls from 1 or 2 individuals.  I always try and speak to that individual after the game and discuss that we are all volunteers and not getting paid and question how he thinks that is going to help his team that he has come to support. It usually shuts them up and hopefully puts it in there mind to think before they shout.

Hopefully this is dealt with appropriately.

Was a genuine question as I wasn’t aware thanks for the information
bazinga

Locked Out

• Paternal Voice of the Silent Majority
  • Life is serious enough...
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 12:10:35 PM
In response to Oldandslow’s assertion that you can’t normally keep Ripon quiet - apart from Ripit’s timely intervention, I seem to be the only Riponian on here recently. So sorry for the lack of noise and I hope more from Ripon will join in in due course. I would love to know whatever happened to Oldmanrip!

I don’t think anyone from Corinthians posts on here, so hope the “radio silence” comment wasn’t wasted on them.

Appreciating that the matter of the Leeds Corinthians v Ripon match abandonment is subject to a steward’s enquiry, I hope to demystify the situation without compromising the outcome of any investigation.

With two minutes played in the second half and Ripon leading 12 - 18, Ripon took a quick penalty tap in front of the referee and scored a try. While the conversion was being lined up, the referee was subject to remonstrations from home “people”. During this process, one or more yellow cards were shown at home players, but the remonstrations continued. The referee then blew what appeared to be the final whistle and walked off the pitch, leaving the players bemused. Coaches spoke with the ref in the changing room and the subject of that conversation will be part of any investigation that follows.

It is deeply disturbing that a referee finds the situation on the pitch so intolerable as to call time and we wish him all the best and hope that this experience doesn’t put him off continuing in this important voluntary role.

As Ripit says, you expect some banter at games, but everyone should respect that there is a mark that shouldn’t be overstepped.

Onwards and upwards and hopefully Ripon will be awarded the 23 - 12 away win.

Pikey

• Finding my feet
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 07:43:41 PM
Just want to say that I was there at the game and alot of stuff has been said regarding Corinthians players and supporters which I can honestly say the two players that was sin binned for disent was not even facing the referee to even say anything to him. Also the other lies that was made up by Ripon and the official have painted a very dark shadow over the club which at the end of the day is run by volunteers (like other clubs) and to spread such hurtful lies could ruin a good team and club.