$txt['mentions'] = 'Mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_removeMentions'] = 'Remove seen mentions'; $txt['scheduled_task_desc_removeMentions'] = 'Automatically removes seen mentions older than the specified days'; Shortage of Referees - How do clubs encourage people to take up the whistle ?

Shortage of Referees - How do clubs encourage people to take up the whistle ?

This is a discussion for the topic Shortage of Referees - How do clubs encourage people to take up the whistle ? on the board Referee Chat.

Author Topic: Shortage of Referees - How do clubs encourage people to take up the whistle ?  (Read 1343 times)

Broughton

• Finding my feet
Please may I ask what other people think should be done to try recruit more referees ? ...We have an acute shortage in Yorkshire. Several 2nd/3rds/vet games have had to play without a registered ref, already this season.  The average age of referees in Yorkshire Society is probably 50-55 , and there less than a dozen under 30 years old. The long term prospect for us in Yorkshire, is not a healthy one.

Many of you will have heard unkind or abusive comments from the touchlines towards referees. So it's no surprise that refs either pack in or people don't join up.
Refs are not paid, only receive 40p per mile petrol money and have to buy their own kit !   

For example, when a player decides to retire, (but they are free of injury) do clubs encourage them to consider refereeing ? and if so, how do you do this ?

I appreciate that it's a tough and often thankless task. However, we are slowly, but surely running out of referees.

Please feel free to comment

Red Horseman

• Legend of the Game
  • A little respect please...
  • Aquila non capit moscas.
Unless and until all clubs at every level start to take positive action to stop ref abuse, the decline will continue.
Abuse doesn’t just mean swearing.
Paying entry fee to a match doesn’t entitle anyone to shout whatever they want.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK CHEAP WHISKY.

Murdock

• A little respect please...
I don’t think it helps that the last two cases of match official abuse went unpunished. I say unpunished they’ve suspended punishments. Yorkshire need to back the refs more
bazinga

nazir4

• Forum old hand
If anyone's tempted to give it a go, I'd say just try it, you might like it!

(That sentiment applies to other things as well...)

Contact your local ref soc and they'll be delighted to point you in the right direction. I think a lot of the abuse comes from speccies at club 1st teams - as you start out in front of 1 man and his dog, you go on a rapid learning curve and you'd be surprised how quickly you get your first "Not bad."

Dan Nulty

• Legend
We encouraged a player who had to retire in his late 20s to take up the whistle. He then watched a game in Yorkshire 2, saw the abuse the referee was getting on and off the pitch and decided against it.